Spark plugs closed their gap?

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
doesn't matter if he has shit fuel its going to happen real fast!

We know and understand this but for the OP's car and his basic setup it would take some terrible fuel to detonate and close all 8 of them up.:beer:

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
The gray stuff is antiseize.
df61e23f.jpg

f90d8c31.jpg

1d3097a9.jpg

streetone01

SVT
Established Member
question is when did the plugs close up? was it boosted when hot before you realized it? I had a s-trim fox body conservative tune h/c/i and 10lbs boost on 93 and I closed all the plugs up because the gas I purchased that same day was garbage from the station. Detonation can happen even when we do everything correct to avoid it. The good news is, it sounds like your engine lived through it, if it were me, i would drain the gas and put it in my daily, get some fresh gas and run it carefully then do a test hit on a dyno or street with a wideband while datalogging it. good luck with it

streetone01

SVT
Established Member
We know and understand this but for the OP's car and his basic setup it would take some terrible fuel to detonate and close all 8 of them up.:beer:

you say that like there is not a chance of getting " terrible fuel " how else do all 8 of your plugs magically change??

01bluesnake

Established Member
If you ran the motor very hot and boosted, you could of gotten Pre ignition which could of happened and closed the plugs. Pre ignition wont leave detonation marks on the plugs either unless it detonates as well. If you fixed the overheat concern, see if this happens again

Last edited:

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
Car does not overheat any more and wasn't driven long at all while hot. The car still has a random misfire in all 8 cylinders even after changing the plugs. I have no idea what is wrong with it. I've checked COP's, voltage, grounds, vacuum leak, reuploaded the tune, new gas. Maybe my ECU is faulty... I'm stumped

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
you say that like there is not a chance of getting " terrible fuel " how else do all 8 of your plugs magically change??

Never said there wasn't a chance. I'd put money on it that he didn't get a bad tank of fuel and just go romp on it. The OP has been around this site for a while.

I said with his basic setup running a nonported blower, 2.8 upper only, 10.xx a/f ratio, and I'll guess a very, very safe timing curve it wasn't likely.

He posted that the car got hot and if he went into boost any during that I'd guess that's when it happened.

I'm no Tuner or anything but these cars just don't detonate every time you get a bad tank of fuel with his very basic setup. I'm here to learn and discuss.

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
Took the motorcrafts out and regapped them from .035 to .044 and I can't feel the miss near as bad but I can hear it. Hmmm...

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
I defiantly did not get in boost while hot. I was literally on the other side of the block when it happened. The temp went up really fast and thank god I had my handheld plugged in because the temp gauge wasn't working and that's what set me off.

streetone01

SVT
Established Member
Never said there wasn't a chance. I'd put money on it that he didn't get a bad tank of fuel and just go romp on it. The OP has been around this site for a while.

I said with his basic setup running a nonported blower, 2.8 upper only, 10.xx a/f ratio, and I'll guess a very, very safe timing curve it wasn't likely.

He posted that the car got hot and if he went into boost any during that I'd guess that's when it happened.

I'm no Tuner or anything but these cars just don't detonate every time you get a bad tank of fuel with his very basic setup. I'm here to learn and discuss.
I am by no mean starting shit, at least not on purpose, I realize I am new to the site, not new to cars by any means though. I owned and operated a dyno shop for a couple years and saw many bad tanks of gas, especially since ethanol. I also stated in an earlier post it could have been from heat. With the most conservative tune in the world we are still talking about a car with a supercharger. I do not think people realize how quickly a car can detonate.

streetone01

SVT
Established Member
I defiantly did not get in boost while hot. I was literally on the other side of the block when it happened. The temp went up really fast and thank god I had my handheld plugged in because the temp gauge wasn't working and that's what set me off.

I would compression test it, especially since you mentioned the miss. combine a miss with the plug issue would make me nervous. again, good luck!

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
I would compression test it, especially since you mentioned the miss. combine a miss with the plug issue would make me nervous. again, good luck!

Car isn't throwing any codes and I did a compression test a couple days ago. Highest was 168 lowest was 160. Most were 165 even.

streetone01

SVT
Established Member
honestly you should be good, probably detonated some, from heat? gas? timing? ecu? sounds like you were lucky enough to not have a motor issue. I had a 2002 gt have a bad ecu on the dyno before and it skipped, threw weird codes, and spiked the timing under load to over 30. changed the ecu after pulling out hair out and it was all good.

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
And my odometer keeps going "-------" every couple minutes and the datalog freezes. Another thing I am unsure of. Also, the gauges reset.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread