Spark plugs closed their gap?

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
What would cause all 8 plugs to narrow their gap from .032 to about .02? All plugs are ngk tr6's v-power. Doesn't look like anything has hit them. Anyone have any ideas?

jdh1213

2.8 Kenne Bell
Established Member
Next time don't start drinking until after you install the plugs. JK, no idea but I'm sure someone will chime in.

cobracide

Established Member
You might want to start saving for a rebuild. Detonation is a possibility. Get it looked at asap and stay out of boost.

Last edited:

Blueline

Established Member
When you put the new plugs in, do you drop them down the wells? It may be a possibility..... I use a 6"-8" piece of 3/8" hose over the spark plug and lower it down into the well and screw it in with the hose. It prevents me dropping the plug in and cross threading them. Just a thought.

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
When you put the new plugs in, do you drop them down the wells? It may be a possibility..... I use a 6"-8" piece of 3/8" hose over the spark plug and lower it down into the well and screw it in with the hose. It prevents me dropping the plug in and cross threading them. Just a thought.

Nope. I don't think I need a rebuilt either.

streetone01

SVT
Established Member
there are two ways to close a plug gap. detonation or something is hitting them... so its detonating, bad tank of fuel? bad tune? heat.... find the problem before boosting it again.

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
You might want to start saving for a rebuild. Detonation is a possibility. Get it looked at asap and stay out of boost.

Why do you say I need a rebuild? Plugs look great except for the gap. I've talked to a couple mechanics and they don't know why it would close unless the plugs are just a shit set.

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
Here is one of the tr6s. I've put a new set of motorcraft 32's in it and ran it for about 10 min and they all kept their gap .035.
0b370b14.jpg

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
Here is one of the tr6s. I've put a new set of motorcraft 32's in it and ran it for about 10 min and they all kept their gap .035.
0b370b14.jpg

did you let it IDLE for 10 minutes, or did you put LOAD on the engine to INCREASE cylinder pressure/ chance of detonation?

Blueline

Established Member
Hey Nate throw up a pic of the 8 plugs. Im curious on the coloring on them and if there are any specs on the white insulator portion.

streetone01

SVT
Established Member
its detonation like I said plugs DO NOT re gap themselves. could be a bad tank of fuel conservative tune or not. It is detonating

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
its detonation like I said plugs DO NOT re gap themselves. could be a bad tank of fuel conservative tune or not. It is detonating

He's a 2.8 upper only car running 10.xx a/f ratio. That sucker is going to be hard to detonate like that. Just saying of course.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Ok. Ya, thats kind of weird but i don't think it was a bad batch of plugs, they wouldnt be able to close their own gap if they had a gap of .032" to start. How many miles did they have on them?

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
Plugs had 200 miles tops on them. 91 octane gas (idaho sucks). Never went lean that I saw. Car overheated before all this. My handheld said it got up to 216* or so which isn't that hot, but it had a big air "bubble" in it due to me taking off a coolant hose to get to a hose clamp for my power steering pump. Burped it after it overheated and now it doesn't go past 180* or so. I'll get a pic of the plugs in a second. And Posi, I was about to take my blower off to port it before all of this so Rick from amazon was gonna lean it out for me to about 11.4-11.6. I drained the gas 2 days ago and put fresh gas in with a half bottle of stabil.

Users who are viewing this thread