Spark plug ????

sleepermobile

Established Member
I searched it and got nowhere!!!! I checked the gap and they were at 40. Under the hood says 52-56 and I read here that guys are going 55 or so. So I gapped them at 48 figuring it would be in the middle, for now. It runs smooth and sounds quiet compared to before at 40. It feels much different cruzing in fifth???? So what the h-ll should they be gapped at??? Should I throw some back in at 40 like the tuner did??? I did have it dyno tuned and thats were he had them set but I dont see anyone else going 40??? WTF?? The plugs were in for well over 10,000 miles and looked very lean.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The .054" is the stock gap for an N/A motor. The gap usually needs to be closed because of spark blow out with boosted motors. Be careful going to WOT.

sleepermobile

Established Member
Thanks to both of you!!!!! I guess I get to change them again tomorrow:banana: So whats the best brand and plug number??? I want to be able to buy them at Autozone or Napa!!! I hate when I start fn with stuff that isnt broken!!!!

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
.040 is just fine for an n/a car, its not going to hurt anything.
chances are you just had some old/bad plugs, and thats why you noticed the difference in how it runs.

I also run the NGK TR6's havent ever had any issues with them

sleepermobile

Established Member
Well I went with what the tuner used, champion RS9YC gapped at what my tool says is 40. Interesting I used a new gapper from Autozone and a new one from Napa, both were way different than mine. Mine measures 40, the others were 30 and 35........... They were all the little round 99cent ones, so BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
If your car runs better and develops more power with a tighter spark plug gap (when the larger gap did not cause blowout), your vehicle flies in the face of common automotive knowledge.

Did you buy your engine from the guy who sold jack his beanstock beans?

Users who are viewing this thread