Spark plug stuck

dmaxxx

Established Member
I was changing my plugs tonight and got them all but #4, it won't budge, has anyone ran into this problem Or can give me any ideas?

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Is your engine cold? Maybe warm it up a little bit and try again. May put a little bit of penetrating oil in there like PB blaster or some Kroil to help loosen it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Established Member
Warm up the engine then see if you can crack it loose. If you can spray some PB Blaster or something similar and let it soak. Then take it slow. That's how I do the plugs in our 06 with the crappy two piece design.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Being at the back of the motor it’s more subject to water in that hole from the coil cover. As mentioned get it warm and put some blaster in there to soak

dmaxxx

Established Member
Should I try it with my 1/2 in breaker bar and go easy, I've been using 3/8 ratchet but I'm scared of breaking the plug off.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Should I try it with my 1/2 in breaker bar and go easy, I've been using 3/8 ratchet but I'm scared of breaking the plug off.

As long as you’re gentle with the bar don’t see why not. It might be better because you can control it better. Have you tried warming up the engine or soaking it yet in penetrating oil? Metal will expand when it’s warm and contract when it’s cold, I bet warming it up for 5 min will do wonders. When you put the new ones in, use some anti seize on the threads and torque them if you’re unsure how tight to tighten them. Oh and 7 out of 8 is a hell of a batting average haha jk

01yellercobra

Established Member
I have a long 3/8 ratchet I use for plugs. Easier to control it with the extra leverage. I'd think the breaker bar would work. Just don't go all sasquatch with it.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
warm the engine first always on newer aluminum heads. I learned that the hard way and snapped off plugs. big money mistake just tiring to change plugs.

Lucky though as it was a ls 799 heads((200$)

dmaxxx

Established Member
OK I'm going to put all this great info to use tomorrow and will report back, I appreciate all the help so far and I will have lots of other questions in the future, I'm coming from more of old school cars and lot of this is new to me, thanks guys.

MG0h3

Established Member
eeesh I don't know about using a half inch breaker. Try warming it up as mentioned.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I would use larger tools..less flex and easier to hold straight..

it' still a scary thought..but every now and than you come across a tight 1..

if it was stripped going in..not much you can do to get it out using sprays to save it..

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
eeesh I don't know about using a half inch breaker. Try warming it up as mentioned.

More control and finesse with larger tools. You can use the same torque through the tool with less effort by the operator thus more control.

dmaxxx

Established Member
I've got pb blast soaking in the plug hole just waiting now, the guy that owned the car before me had the plugs changed recently and I'm betting they didn't put Any anti seize on them and this was by a well known shop.

dmaxxx

Established Member
Another update, the pb blast did the trick, it came right out, thanks for all the info. Also I torqued all the new plugs to 14lb with anti sieze.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Glad you got it all worked out with no issues. It’s amazing how small little things like that should be common sense and big name shops don’t do it. I try and do everything I can myself.

hotcobra03

Established Member
don' the beat up the last guy..that 1 may have just been a little tighter..or other 7 were not tight enough.

I use nothing, and pressure wash alot..but it is mine..

with plug blow out issues, I thought why put something in that may help stop a good hold..

some wd maybe on install..

glad you did get it..

Users who are viewing this thread