Spark plug/cylinder head problems in the 6.8 V10

blueovalfan

Established Member
My brother is looking for a new (to him) tow rig. We looked at clean 92k mile 2000 F250 lariat 4x4 with the v10 and I remember hearing about these trucks having plug seizing issues and even spitting the plugs out of the head. Anybody had any run ins with this on these trucks? How bad is it and should he pass on it for that reason alone? Any other truck suggestions for around 8k?

Keith Stone

Banned
All aluminum Ford heads have that problem. Hell, I just spit a plug out of my 4.6 2V last week and had it fix for $150. There's an easy fix for that probem and shouldn't cause too much concern.

spike_africa

Established Member
The older ones have that problem because they didn't have enough threads in the heads. Newer ones have updated heads with more threads. Can't tell you the year the v10 got that upgrade though. for the 2v 4.6 and 5.4 it was 03 I do believe.

JUST TRY 03

Established Member
i have a 2000 excursion with the V10, has around 190,000 miles. so far ive had 3 plugs shoot out. there is a stainless steel insert you can put inside the heads and it has solved the problem for me.

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
I'd rather chuck plugs then have them break off in the head. Thats probably why i'll sell my 07 s.crew before the plugs need changed.

Users who are viewing this thread