Sound - how does centri compare to roots or TS?

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Can someone describe to me the operating sound differences between a Centrifugal versus a Roots or a Twin Screw? I would be curious about noise levels at standard cruising, and then at WOT. I actually like a little bit of 'whine'.

Also, how do these various units affect the exhaust note, or do they?

Many thanks for any help, Dave F.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the PD blowers are basically silent so long as youre out of boost, the centrifugals make more of a whistling noise at idle (if you search youtube you can find plenty of idle vids). With a centrifugal you get the rushing air noise of the bypass valve at while cruising (how loud it is depends on how much boost youre running and the valve), at WOT its just the rushing air noise and then you get the same sound as a blowoff on a turbo when you let out.

AndrewNagle

Established Member
Can someone describe to me the operating sound differences between a Centrifugal versus a Roots or a Twin Screw? I would be curious about noise levels at standard cruising, and then at WOT. I actually like a little bit of 'whine'.

Also, how do these various units affect the exhaust note, or do they?

Many thanks for any help, Dave F.

My Paxton Centri whistles at idle and cruising at WOT too loud to hear and no change to exhaust note

01yellercobra

Established Member
Centris makes the most noise at idle. Although my F1A sounded like a jet at idle and whined under boost.

For the most part PD blowers are quiet at idle/cruise, but whine at WOT. The bigger twin screws (Kenne Bell, Whipple) are pretty much quiet all the time. I think you really have to turn them up to make them whine under boost. The VMP TVS still seems to make noise under boost. But I haven't been around those in person yet.

nxhappy

Established Member
My vortech was pretty ****ing loud at idle. In fact many people told me something was "wrong with my engine" LOL...At WOT you could hear it, but not that much. The PD blowers are a lot louder at WOT. It's really hard to beat that specific noise !

01yellercobra

Established Member
My vortech was pretty ****ing loud at idle. In fact many people told me something was "wrong with my engine" LOL...At WOT you could hear it, but not that much. The PD blowers are a lot louder at WOT. It's really hard to beat that specific noise !

On my T Trim and F1A I ran a Tial 50mm BOV. People would ask what's that noise and I'd tell them it's a vacuum leak.

o2sys

Established Member
My Paxton 2200 has very audible whistle during idle and light throttle inputs. If you have a blow thru setup with a vent to atmosphere BOV the air gushing noise gets tiring and annoying very fast. Sounds like a street cleaning sweeper.

I miss the whine from my roots Supercharger.

Kman11

Established Member
My f1c whines pretty loud at idle, although the procharger fan largely drowns it out once it kicks on.

It whistles a bit at part throttle. The main noise is from my tial Q BOV, while cruising part throttle is sounds a bit like a jet coming in to land. People who are walking around always look to see WTF is wrong with my car, which i pretty amusing.

When i had an 03 cobra, i really liked the whine at WOT. In comparison i like the centri idle whine / bov sound, better than the roots WOT whine. They are both great though!

DRK HRS

Established Member
Centris can be crazy loud when just cruising with all the air rushing out the bypass valve. Check Youtube for some F1A Corvettes and you'll see what I mean. Otherwise you just get a whistle at idle and a turbo-like blowoff sound when shifting gears at WOT. I think they sound good. Some people don't like it, but I love the rushing air when I'm driving around. It reminds me that I've got some nuts under the hood ready to be unleashed at the drop of my foot lol.

o2sys

Established Member
The air rushing noise can get annoying. I missed it so over the weekend i pulled the hose and is loud again(until I'm sick of it again)

cbrown9064

Established Member
My Novi 2k (blow thru) is totally obnoxious with the BOV open during cruise. 3000 rpm is loud! Stomp on it and the BOV closes and you can hear a bit of blower whine and then let off with a big "whoosh" when the BOV opens again.

This is only a weekend/toy car. It would suck as a DD.

01yellercobra

Established Member
It whistles a bit at part throttle. The main noise is from my tial Q BOV, while cruising part throttle is sounds a bit like a jet coming in to land.

Back when I had the D1 on my 01 I was cruising somewhere with a buddy of mine. He was in his 03 with the top down and I was following him. As we were passing Miramar Air Station I saw him looking up at the sky a lot. When we got to our destination he told me he was looking for jets on approach and realized it was my car he was hearing.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Centris makes the most noise at idle. Although my F1A sounded like a jet at idle and whined under boost.

For the most part PD blowers are quiet at idle/cruise, but whine at WOT. The bigger twin screws (Kenne Bell, Whipple) are pretty much quiet all the time. I think you really have to turn them up to make them whine under boost. .
I don't know man those old KB 2.2's Whined the sweetest sound under boost!

01yellercobra

Established Member
I don't know man those old KB 2.2's Whined the sweetest sound under boost!
Yeah. That's why I said for the most part. I was thinking of those 2.2's when I was typing that. You don't see them very often anymore though. A local guy has a comp orange with the 2.2 and he was saying it's his dream set up.

Rosco3

Established Member
Is a centri better if you are wanting longer engine life? Seems like the roots or ts give you the power more abruptly where as the centri sort of eases into it. Wanting knowledge for a future mod.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Famine

Established Member
Your cylinders will be under the higher boost for your setup for longer with the roots vs centri; however, it's not that big of a deal to me because there is a bypass valve on the tvs that will close when you stomp it and when you're cruising under a certain load, it will remain open keeping you from running boost all the time as the vortices are spinning. Centri is more efficient as well, but tradeoff is wait time to get to full boost. At higher power levels, that may be a good thing so you don't blow your tires off. At the same time, you can still do that with either setup if you don't have the right tire setup and driver.

Go_on_3

I am a PC fanboy so I need to preface all discussions around boost with that...

I can help with the sound of a PC, here is mine at idle (D1SC with 4.38 Pulley Stage 2):

Here is mine pulling away at Cars and Coffee, you can really hear the BOV venting in vacuum. I do have the PC Race BOV so that makes a HUGE difference in sound. The standard is much quieter. Fast forward to 14:30 to hear me creeping in second gear.

Once last one to hear the BOV Fast forward to 4:10

As for no instant boost with a Centri that is BS with a little work. I pullied down to a 4.38 and am going down to a 4.0 using a wastegate to control/bleed boost. My hit is just as hard if not harder than a PD but i have the added bonus of extremely low IAT's with no heat soak issues...

Hope this helps...

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I am a

As for no instant boost with a Centri that is BS with a little work. I pullied down to a 4.38 and am going down to a 4.0 using a wastegate to control/bleed boost. My hit is just as hard if not harder than a PD but i have the added bonus of extremely low IAT's with no heat soak issues...

Hope this helps...
Having the Coyote 5.0 as your powerplant is also helping get some boost built at a lower rpm, the 4.6L platform is very docile under 4K rpms with a Centri.

Users who are viewing this thread