Sorry I missed you all at Barber

steeda_007

Established Member
Guys,

My work situation has suffered from the downturn, and I found myself unable to make the haul to Barber...bummer. Soulds like you all had a great time!

Hopefully things will start looking up a bit and I'll be in a position to head East to catch up with you all at another great track.

I did finally get the racer 100% done (only 5 years later :bored:). Here is a pic for those who are interested.

Cheers

DSCN1983.jpg

1993R

Established Member
Don,
Nice work on restoring a significant car. I actually own the Steeda Hexcentrics used on the car. I bought them from Chuck Snipes a few years ago.He was trying to clean up his warehouse...

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
very nice. impressive. i live an hour from what used to be Snipes Ford and used to sell them radio advertising. i have to drive through that town on any trip to the race track i take.

sometimes I wonder if Chuck sees the #05 car rolling thru town. its strange to have one of these cars that he was so involved with and be so close.

Ive never talked to the guy.

Last edited:

steeda_007

Established Member
Chuck tried to sell me those wheels too, but I passed due to limited space in my garage and the fact that he admonished me not to race with them (they break).

Chuck is a nice guy, I've kept in loose touch since I bought the car. I'm sure he'd like to see all of his old racers again. Being trapped out here in Colorado, the haul to Road Atlanta or VIR is a three day proposition. Perhaps later this year...

In the mean time, I'm taking it to Miller in a few weeks for three days of hard running. Can't wait!

Cheers

steeda_007

Established Member
Kevin,

Actually, the only time that has happened was PPIR in March. We had some computer down time associated with the big snow, and I needed to work that weekend to get my analysis jobs back in motion.

I'll see you this Saturday at Pueblo though... :banana:

Don

kevin

Kevin,

Actually, the only time that has happened was PPIR in March. We had some computer down time associated with the big snow, and I needed to work that weekend to get my analysis jobs back in motion.

I'll see you this Saturday at Pueblo though... :banana:

Don

don - just :poke::poke: :lol:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Don,

The car looks STUNNING!

What about Tulsa in late June? There will be a bunch of us there and LOTS of track time.

Tom

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
I noticed in your sig. that its says the car was a clone. Did Snipes build the car off a "body in white" or was it a production mustang converted to a race car?

Just curious as I have never kept up with specific 95R race car history.

I'd like to see more pictures as well.... engine compartment & cage specifically

NICE JOB on the restoration!

steeda_007

Established Member
more pics on the way

I'll post some additional pics tomorrow. Thanks for the encouragement... This project was more than I had originally bargained for.

The cars (one of it’s sister cars too) were hurricane salvage titles right off Chuck Snipes Ford dealership lot. V6 cars to begin with. Both hurricane cars were built in late 95 to early 96. The other cars that Chuck ran are all in private hands now, and I think mine is the second to be finished up. The histories are pretty well known and documented, but there are still some loose ends about who drove which car in what race… No big deal though.

I bought this one from Chuck in spring of 2004. It’s last race was a GAC event at VIR in Sept 2003, at which point it dropped out of eligibility due to age. My plan is to drive a few NASA races each year along with the occasional vintage race.

Having to work for a living is just getting in the way these days :mj:

Cheers

93SVTCobra

Established Member
I was there at the VIR event in 03 participating in the support race and saw that car in a hauler I believe. Did you buy it from Gilbert racing?

steeda_007

Established Member
Nope, I purchased it directly from Chuck. He had taken it back to his shop for some new body panels and a fresh coat of paint.

Chuck also has an extra set of vinyl for the car, so he stickered it like it was for the last few years in GAC. This is basically what it looked like at VIR in 2003...

DSCN1862.jpg

steeda_007

Established Member
new pics, big files...

Guys,

Here are a few more pics of the finished product...for those who wanted to see.

Cheers,

Don

DSCN1839.jpg

DSCN1859.jpg

DSCN1929.jpg

DSCN1983.jpg

DSCN1979.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

:dancenana:

Attachments