Soo happy!! 3.90's are on!

combatstang

BoOsTaHoLiC
Established Member
7168548 said:
Marc you *ucker. You need to let me drive your car. I think I'll still win in a race though. :D

how? no way... maybe if you get gears, and get tires, and i drive ur car.. haha

Marc

OATS

Established Member
combatstang, whose gears are they? Motive Gear I assume? I'm curious as to whether you have any howl or whine from the rearend now? I've had a 3.90 ring and pinion sitting in my garage for over a year now and just haven'y gotten around to installing them. Mind if I ask how much they charged you to do it? Thanks and congrats.

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
Very interesting, I think a gear change is a great Idea. Might as well use the power we have. 390's sound nice. Are they expensive to get put in and will they void a warranty, i imagine so. Are they the same 8.8 ring and pinion as a live axle? Looks like I have found my new mod. anyone know of any installers in the Abilene, Dallas/Ft. Worth area?

combatstang

BoOsTaHoLiC
Established Member
SWEET94COBRA said:
Very interesting, I think a gear change is a great Idea. Might as well use the power we have. 390's sound nice. Are they expensive to get put in and will they void a warranty, i imagine so. Are they the same 8.8 ring and pinion as a live axle? Looks like I have found my new mod. anyone know of any installers in the Abilene, Dallas/Ft. Worth area?

they will never know that the gears are in to void warrenty.. and i paid 500 installed for them..

they dont whine or howl.. x2c owner runs them in his car... if they were bad he wouldnt do it!!

i love them.. my tq is incredible

combatstang

BoOsTaHoLiC
Established Member
my biggest spectic was Dgussin1 he thought it was a bad idea..

so tonight he drove my car.. and was dumbfounded... he loved them... and thought my car accelerates ALOT faster than ever.. he drove my car before the gear change.. and now says my car feels much faster than before

lovin the gear change

MArc

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
OATS said:
combatstang, whose gears are they? Motive Gear I assume? I'm curious as to whether you have any howl or whine from the rearend now? I've had a 3.90 ring and pinion sitting in my garage for over a year now and just haven'y gotten around to installing them. Mind if I ask how much they charged you to do it? Thanks and congrats.

i have motive's also..no whine

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
SWEET94COBRA said:
What kind of rpms do you pull cruising at 75 in 6th?

damn...i havent been in my car in month or so and im drawing a blank..i wanna say 75 is about 2500 in 6th

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
SWEET94COBRA said:
I wonder how the change will read on the dyno? Glad to hear you are so happy with them.
The only thing the gears will change on the dyno is that you'll experience a little more inertial loss from the drive train. Other than that, it makes NO difference. The dyno uses engine rpm to calculate torque. Even though we call it rear-wheel torque, it's not...it's torque at the flywheel assuming a lossless driveline. And except for that small inertial loss, power is unaffected by a gear change (conservation of energy.) The 3.90 would be a great gear in these cars. I've considered it myself.

Last edited:

Bob Cosby

Established Member
75 mph with 3.90 gears in 6th gear (.63) with stock height tires (~25.7") is a calculated 2410 rpm.

The same ring and pinion fits either an IRS or live axle rear end.

A competent, experienced tech should be able to install the gears so that there is NO whining. Of note, if they whine when they are first installed, they'll likely whine forever.

Personally, I'm still debating 3.90s or 4.10s for my car when I swap to the live axle, and will likely not make my decision until I'm ready to actually order the gears.

Last edited:

grnenvy

Established Member
Hmm

See the lower gearing seems like the right thing to due but what if your running the juice or making alot more pwr. I don't think my car would finish the 1/4 or that it could hook on the street with the 390s. But on the street I guess I could just use the juice in second insted of first.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
I'm not a street racer, so I can't help you there.

The basic theory with gearing is to gear the car so that the finish line rpm is several hundred above peak HP in 4th gear as you cross the lights.

For example...if you're peak HP is at 6200 rpm, you likely want to gear the car to finish the 1/4 mile at ~6800 rpm in 4th gear. There are other things to think about, and that is a simplistic explanation that doesn't take actual tranny gearing or the HP curve into account, but it is a decent rule of thumb to go by.

Be advised that this is a drag strip theory that assumes adequate traction and aggressive driving.

Bob

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
if you're using N20 or running a KB/whipple i probably wouldnt go past 3.73's

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I often thought about going with a set of those gears but never did it. Sounds like they're really waking up that ride! I'd be interested to see how your gas mileage is affected. Have fun!

Bob Cosby

Established Member
WS6JJP said:
if you're using N20 or running a KB/whipple i probably wouldnt go past 3.73's
That may be good advice, however, I'd like to ask how you came to that conclusion? What do you base it on?

combatstang

BoOsTaHoLiC
Established Member
CobraBob said:
I often thought about going with a set of those gears but never did it. Sounds like they're really waking up that ride! I'd be interested to see how your gas mileage is affected. Have fun!

Gas seems to be the same!!

im telling you guys, my car is accelerating so much faster, i cant believe this!!!

Side note: i would never change gears if using nitrous/Kb/Whipple!!

There is no need, you have 600rwhp and you need all the traction you can get..

gears are for pullied/apten cobras.. that way we can keep up with the kb guys at the track... :coolman:

On the highway, kb guys will own...

Marc

Users who are viewing this thread