Son1c Wax Home Brew Wax Thread -> ProtoWax -> Picture Heavy

Electrokid

Established Member
Just thought I would put an update in here on some endurance testing. It has been about a month and a half since the last application of ProtoWax 38, and I was curious to see how it is holding up.

My car has only been washed twice since that time (at the coin-op self wash) and the roads have been covered in sand and salt, and overall the car has been filthy, so I was really hoping that the wax was holding up creating a good barrier between the filth and paintwork.

[youtube_browser]cjwAYjrBOJ4[/youtube_browser]

IMG_1278_zpsc01546ec.jpg

I also got to try out the Merry Waxmas Wax today! I was extremely impressed with the way it looks. I was a little disappointed that my white wax seemed to have a few air bubbles in it resulting in less wax actually in the pot, but that's very minor. I think the two-step wax idea is pretty cool, and I found both the waxes easier to remove than Carnaubavore; or maybe I'm just getting used to how to work Son1cWax products.

Either way, it's another home-run for Son1c, and I'm glad I ordered a set!

IMG_1283_zps2086407e.jpg

Electrokid

Established Member
At the price your wax goes for Sonic, what makes it better than tried and true brand waxes that are similarly priced?

I know this question is directed towards Son1c, but I want to add my 2¢. Also I am in no way affiliated with Son1c, and am just another customer.

The first thing I would say to consider for the price, is that each pot is poured by hand, and all the waxes are made by Son1c in his house. That bumps up cost of production compared to a company that mass-produces a product.

Secondly, take a look at pictures comparing waxes at that price range. In my opinion, Son1c waxes blow others out of the water. The look that it gives cars is hard to describe. It's not so much a shine, but an even gloss over the whole vehicle.
Take a look at this picture of the BRZ detailed by one of the Autogeek guys to see what I mean. He used the Waxmas waxes on it.
DSCN5965.JPG

Chemical Guys Lava wax is pretty much the same price as a pot of Carnaubavore. Many would say that Chemical Guys products are tried and tested, but when comparing the two, you can see that the CG product is not as high quality of a product. If I'm not mistaken, Carnaubavore is also made with all natural ingredients, which would drive up Son1c's own costs.

Mystichrome#365

Established Member
very excited to try this wax. Fixing to place my order for some right now. Going to try it on my black z71 DD for starters and then move over to a 2011 vette and see how it looks.

99BlownVert

Established Member
How do you think the Merry Waxmas combo will do on a black vehicle? I have a nice black wax I use but I wonder how this would do applying by hand after that.

Mystichrome#365

Established Member
How do you think the Merry Waxmas combo will do on a black vehicle? I have a nice black wax I use but I wonder how this would do applying by hand after that.

I ordered the carnaubavore and will be using it next week on my z71 which is black. I don't know how it compares to Merry Waxmas but I will post pics.

dsg04MACHone

Established Member
I know this question is directed towards Son1c, but I want to add my 2¢. Also I am in no way affiliated with Son1c, and am just another customer.

The first thing I would say to consider for the price, is that each pot is poured by hand, and all the waxes are made by Son1c in his house. That bumps up cost of production compared to a company that mass-produces a product.

Secondly, take a look at pictures comparing waxes at that price range. In my opinion, Son1c waxes blow others out of the water. The look that it gives cars is hard to describe. It's not so much a shine, but an even gloss over the whole vehicle.
Take a look at this picture of the BRZ detailed by one of the Autogeek guys to see what I mean. He used the Waxmas waxes on it.

Chemical Guys Lava wax is pretty much the same price as a pot of Carnaubavore. Many would say that Chemical Guys products are tried and tested, but when comparing the two, you can see that the CG product is not as high quality of a product. If I'm not mistaken, Carnaubavore is also made with all natural ingredients, which would drive up Son1c's own costs.

Him pouring at home driving up costs compared to a factory doesn't translate to me getting a better value. Also I know you say to look at a picture, but most all decent waxes (even shitty ones) have pictures all over the internet about how "glossy" they are. I guess it comes down to trying and deciding for myself, but it's hard for me to do that at that price point when I know I can get something I do love. Which brings me back to my original question, why bother? Would prefer Sonics response and not any of his fans that are trying to get free prototypes.

SON1C

Established Member

DSCN5965.JPG

Thanks Cameron! Appreciate the supportive and informative input. I also featured your waxmas picture on the FB page a few days ago :D

very excited to try this wax. Fixing to place my order for some right now. Going to try it on my black z71 DD for starters and then move over to a 2011 vette and see how it looks.
Looking forward to your results and thank you for the support :D
Post pictures when you do!

x2!

Last edited:

SON1C

Established Member
At the price your wax goes for Sonic, what makes it better than tried and true brand waxes that are similarly priced?

Him pouring at home driving up costs compared to a factory doesn't translate to me getting a better value. Also I know you say to look at a picture, but most all decent waxes (even shitty ones) have pictures all over the internet about how "glossy" they are. I guess it comes down to trying and deciding for myself, but it's hard for me to do that at that price point when I know I can get something I do love. Which brings me back to my original question, why bother? Would prefer Sonics response and not any of his fans that are trying to get free prototypes.

Please do not be rude to people who support SON1C Wax, they were all once skeptical and now they believe in my products through their own trials.

There are a ton of factors at play, I'll go over several. I'll start with my first wax SON1C Wax Carnaubavore

This wax is loaded with Carnauba, 50% more than some popular waxes ( I know this for certain)

T1 Carnauba is expensive, even more so at my buying power. This drives cost.

I use natural organic solvents, this drives cost. The natural solvents used here are 5x or more of their lower quality counterparts.

Carnaubavore spreads very far and since it is so hard, you use so little wax. People tell me often how they've used the wax several times but one could never tell.

I haven't really made any money off of my wax endeavor (profit), why? Because I utilized my savings, essentially all of it, to fund my dream. SON1C Wax is accumulation of much more than wax, I'm chasing my dream of providing top quality products to my fellow detailers. Everything that can be made in the USA, is sourced from the USA. SON1C Wax is hand-crafted and poured in the United States of America.

I have never been looking for a "quick buck" I have been investing all of the money SON1C Wax generates back into the company, for better tools, beakers, wax making equipment. I could have gotten by with what I had, but I'm striving to be able to make larger batches, bring cost down, bring quality even higher. I'm striving to create other products, but I don't do this full time. I've given up a lot for this.

There is always more to talk about, but that is some of my input. Hope this helps and you try a SON1C Wax for yourself as I believe you will enjoy it.

Drew

Gdubb

current beer in fridge
Established Member

dsg04MACHone

Established Member
Please do not be rude to people who support SON1C Wax, they were all once skeptical and now they believe in my products through their own trials.

There are a ton of factors at play, I'll go over several. I'll start with my first wax SON1C Wax Carnaubavore

This wax is loaded with Carnauba, 50% more than some popular waxes ( I know this for certain)

T1 Carnauba is expensive, even more so at my buying power. This drives cost.

I use natural organic solvents, this drives cost. The natural solvents used here are 5x or more of their lower quality counterparts.

Carnaubavore spreads very far and since it is so hard, you use so little wax. People tell me often how they've used the wax several times but one could never tell.

I haven't really made any money off of my wax endeavor (profit), why? Because I utilized my savings, essentially all of it, to fund my dream. SON1C Wax is accumulation of much more than wax, I'm chasing my dream of providing top quality products to my fellow detailers. Everything that can be made in the USA, is sourced from the USA. SON1C Wax is hand-crafted and poured in the United States of America.

I have never been looking for a "quick buck" I have been investing all of the money SON1C Wax generates back into the company, for better tools, beakers, wax making equipment. I could have gotten by with what I had, but I'm striving to be able to make larger batches, bring cost down, bring quality even higher. I'm striving to create other products, but I don't do this full time. I've given up a lot for this.

There is always more to talk about, but that is some of my input. Hope this helps and you try a SON1C Wax for yourself as I believe you will enjoy it.

Drew

I was not being rude, simply pointing out that my question was directed to you. And I don't think I've seen any skeptics yet, which is probably a driving factor for my question to you. I guess a PM would have been more appropriate.

I appreciate the response. If it is as good as you and others claim, you should probably look into having someone handle the business side. I'd hate for such a good wax to stop being sold because you are not making any profits. Then I definitely will never get to try any.

SON1C

Established Member
When do you thnk this will be available?
ideally spring-summer but it is pending a lot of things including proper creation of an awesome product and if I will be able to scale my production to a larger scale -- trying :D
I was not being rude, simply pointing out that my question was directed to you. And I don't think I've seen any skeptics yet, which is probably a driving factor for my question to you. I guess a PM would have been more appropriate.

I appreciate the response. If it is as good as you and others claim, you should probably look into having someone handle the business side. I'd hate for such a good wax to stop being sold because you are not making any profits. Then I definitely will never get to try any.
Thanks for the input. I can and will continue to handle the business side as well as the production side. This is my passion.

SON1C

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread