son of a........

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
This is the exact reason I had my car clear bra-ed the second I picked it up. I did the whole front of the car, and the rocker panels to the rear wheels.

...but I had to learn my lesson with my 2008. It had rock chips everywhere.

Last edited:

RJ13GT

Established Member
I bought the dr colorchip system... Works good but you have to be patient with it. I also have had good results with just wet sanding the chip smooth with 2500+ grit and buffing it back before dabbing paint in the chip and smearing it with my finger to level it out. I then carefully wipe the excess smeared paint off with alcohol before it dries at all. This way works and looks just as good as the dr colorchip and is cheaper. Also keep your sanding area as small as possible.

MCDEV

Established Member
I feel your pain OP, I have stone chips popping up every time I wash my car. I got a rather nasty one the other day that tore right through the stripe on my hood. :cuss:

I wouldn't mess around with touch up paint on a color like DIB. With opaque colors like black, oxford white, race red, grabber blue etc. you can get away with touch up paint and wet sanding. With metallic multi step finishes like Red Candy Metallic Tintcoat, Ruby Red Metallic, Deep Impact Blue etc it is pretty much impossible to make it look like it never happened using touch up paint and very possible that you could actually make it look worse. I had a 2011 Synergy Green Camaro 2SS and the previous owner tried to touch up a stone chip on the hood. It turned out several shades darker and stood out like a sore thumb on the car. Sure you can take your time and wet sand and polish etc etc but it will always be there if you look for it. And you will always see it because you know its there. It will never be perfect, which it sounds like is what you're looking for here.

The right way to fix it would be to have a shop try to repaint that area and blend into the rest of the car but there are no guarantees with a metallic finish. There are a lot of variables that come into play here. One painter might mix things slightly different then the factory causing a variation in viscosity which would effect how the metal flake lies when the paint sets and can produce extremely noticeable bad results. Ambient air temperature, drying process, method of application and many other things factor in to how exactly the metal flakes set up. The manufacturers hold their suppliers to a certain tolerance to ensure the car is one uniform color but if you look close enough at pretty much any new car in good light conditions you can see some variation in shade. I will say that Ford has done a great job at keeping this in check on the Mustang unlike my previous Camaro. But the reason I pointed this out is because it is possible to buy a new hood and have it painted DIB only to find out it doesn't really match your car at all.

I read a lot of horror stories in regards to Synergy Green in specific where people had a single panel touched up 6 or 7 times before they ultimately decided to repaint the entire car. That was enough to scare me and I ended up just deciding to leave it be and later sold the car. Sorry for the long post and I hope your restorative process goes a smoothly as possible. :beer:

mikejaeggi

Established Member
same thing happened to me 3 weeks ago, out for a weekend drive and an acorn hit my hood at about 65mph. put two rice grain size chips on panel above headlight. I used drcolorchip and it blended in well, unoticable to anyone but me as a fellow OCD freak. it helps though

stutter

eat me
Established Member
I hit a piece of wood the first week i got my car, left 2 gashes in the front bumper, not too noticeable.....then I dropped my hard drive out of my trunk.....put a gash in my rear bumper.....lol Im due for a fix me up!!!

Users who are viewing this thread