son of a........

Add Name Here

Hook Damn It Hook
Established Member
I've got 2 small chips in my hood!! I'm on my phone so don't have a pic right now, they are only like the size of a piece of rice but stick out like a sore thumb as they are deep and its a white spot on the dib color. Maybe not a huge deal to some but OMG my OCD can't take it! How hard do you think this will be to repair? I know its crazy but I'm even considering a new hood. I also have a small mark on one of the hood stripes (not really noticeable) but its bothered me for a while and helps make me feel like I can justify getting a new hood. What would it cost to have a new hood striped and painted? :(

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
I've noticed the paint on the 14 is very thin
Just use some touch up

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
I am sorry for your mishap :-( whatever the route you take, I would highly recommend getting a clear bra after.

Regards,

Manuel

Add Name Here

Hook Damn It Hook
Established Member
Thanks I'll look into some touch up paint. I was gonna get the car sealed with opti-coat but I obviously have to get this fixed first. Is there any issues with adding the clear bra on top of the opti-coat?

ILW84U

Established Member
I agree with the above. If you want your car to stay pristine you need to have a garage queen. They came with 4 wheels are meant to drive. With driving you will get some minor blemishes. At least it is nothing major.

Add Name Here

Hook Damn It Hook
Established Member
I agree with you both but I'm still pissed :) I've already told myself I'm actually gonna drive the Shelby and not let it turn into my old lightning which I only drove 4100 miles in 6 years.......

Broken Snake

Established Member
Yah sometimes you can use some touch up and build the paint up then level out the surface of the new paint and polish it. OCD and cars really does make a huge headache and you're better off just accepting the fact that you're going to have rock chips small and scratches in the paint. The best thing to do is not follow people to close on the highway stay clear of trucks by at least 400 feet and be very gentile when wiping the car with anything. Also the factory tires that come on these cars like to throw small rocks at your side rockers, lower fender, and lower door. Might want to invest in some splash guards and or 3M paint protection.

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
Thanks I'll look into some touch up paint. I was gonna get the car sealed with opti-coat but I obviously have to get this fixed first. Is there any issues with adding the clear bra on top of the opti-coat?
Hi,

I am not sure about that, I would contact one of the authorized installers in your area either for 3M or XPel which is what I have.

Regards,

Manuel

Last edited:

ThomasL

Established Member
I drive the shit outta my car so i'm not surprised to see chips and it doesn't stress me out too much. I'll get around to fixing them eventually. Bummer OP!

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member

I have Opti-guard on my car but keep in mind it's not going to protect your vehicle from rock chips. It's a layer that doesn't let anything stick to it (I would imagine this might include a clear bra) and while it works outstanding for dirt, rain, bird droppings, etc I doubt it would have prevented your situation. I'm not positive on that, just my suspicion.

Add Name Here

Hook Damn It Hook
Established Member
I 100% agree with you on that Lethalchem I know that's not what the product is for. I was just expressing how I was upset that now I have to repair the chips before I seal it. Also even a clear bra wouldn't have saved me in this situation. Bruno is right, that's life and these things are inevitable it just sucks. I've ordered some touch up paint and I will see how that goes. I am definitely using the "less is more" approach.

Turbosixx

Established Member
My friend just got his GTR coated in opti-coat pro. After discussing the benefits of it, I'm having mine done too.

Not really off topic, but my stripes have small chips too. Where can I find a parts diagram to order the replacement stripes?

Spudz

Established Member
My friend just got his GTR coated in opti-coat pro. After discussing the benefits of it, I'm having mine done too.

Not really off topic, but my stripes have small chips too. Where can I find a parts diagram to order the replacement stripes?

http://www.fordparts.com/

Enter your VIN, navigate to Body and then Emblems. Then search for the stripe you need. I just did this for my car.

RenderIllustrationashx.jpg

big_ole_truck

Established Member
The first few chips are always the deepest in pain.

You could apply protective coatings on the front end like some members have suggested. Or you can just drive it, accumulate those unintended stone chips and in a few years get it re-painted. And start the agony all over again.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Or you could plastidip it and protect it with a layer of rubber. That would probably work. :lol:
74494d1351913628-image-1149693590.jpg

elcobrita

Established Member
Or you could plastidip it and protect it with a layer of rubber. That would probably work. :lol:
74494d1351913628-image-1149693590.jpg

Can you just peel off the plastidip off anytime you want and the paint will be fine just as it was before the plastidip?

Users who are viewing this thread