Something Orange…

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My prospects for the 2024 track day season just got a whole lot better…

Did the deal today. Picking this girl up next week. 2024 KTM 450 SMR.

IMG_1227.jpeg

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Signed all the paperwork and paid for it yesterday. Dealership was closed for the week so no techs were available to unlock it. The GM came in so we could wrap it up and get some end-of-year incentives from KTM. He got a nice bottle of Blanton's for interrupting his vacation. Hehe. Plus they can’t order all the bits until next week anyway.

Seems like I’m gonna get a “crash” course in riding slicks in cold temperatures. My warranty is 30 days. And I wanna get a few heat cycles in the engine before my warranty expires. lol. I will put tire warmers on it before I go out and won’t go too hard. Unless it feels good. Then…

FullSizeRender.jpeg

_Snake_

Established Member
Signed all the paperwork and paid for it yesterday. Dealership was closed for the week so no techs were available to unlock it. The GM came in so we could wrap it up and get some end-of-year incentives from KTM. He got a nice bottle of Blanton's for interrupting his vacation. Hehe. Plus they can’t order all the bits until next week anyway.

Seems like I’m gonna get a “crash” course in riding slicks in cold temperatures. My warranty is 30 days. And I wanna get a few heat cycles in the engine before my warranty expires. lol. I will put tire warmers on it before I go out and won’t go too hard. Unless it feels good. Then…

View attachment 1823250
I can’t think of a single thing that could go wrong! lol

Congrats!!

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Meat Crayon II thread incoming in 3....2....1.....
I was gonna tag that thread. lol.

As much as that would be fun, I think I’ll have them put a junk rear tire on it and then heat cycle it on the dyno. I like my limbs all pointing in the correct orientation.

Last edited:

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I've got a Banshee that makes over 100 with a stock length swing arm if I want more power .

On a more serious note, I can't ride for shit so it will do. I'm spoiled for electric start now.

Z28

Established Member
Awesome bike! I have 350 XCF and 300 TX. I've done Harescramble and Enduro racing for 7-8 years now. Wish there was a track around us for Super Moto racing, looks like a blast! Enjoy the new 450.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So what do you guys use for gas in these bikes? Only thing around me has 10% ethanol. Which makes me nervous for something like this.

I’ve thought about buying 5 gallon cans of Sunoco 95 octane stuff. But that seems like overkill??

Am I over thinking this?

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I'm listening. This is my first fuel injection bike so this is new to me. We do have a couple stations with pure gas here but that's a pita and I'm not doing that since the lawn mowers and vehicles etc all get e10.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Oh yeah. Brought her home today. Couple of small rips once I got home. Incredibly light. Revs amazingly quick. Stock brake pads need a little more bedding and/or compound change. For the short while I’ve ridden it, not too impressed with front braking. Need more time on it to break it in. Also need warmer fricking weather. Lol. Slicks on these roads are sketchy AF.

Akra Evo full system is enroute. Will do some before/after sound.

IMG_1247.jpeg

KTM warning labels. No joke. Lol.

IMG_1249.jpeg

Ninedown

Established Member
So what do you guys use for gas in these bikes? Only thing around me has 10% ethanol. Which makes me nervous for something like this.

I’ve thought about buying 5 gallon cans of Sunoco 95 octane stuff. But that seems like overkill??

Am I over thinking this?
You'll be fine with 91-93 pumps gas with 10%E. I just wouldnt let it sit for long periods of time if not in use. I use VP - T4 97 octane 0%E for my 23 Kx 450. Also tuned for it. Of course 5 gallons is like $100.

Any gas stations nearby with 91 octane no E?

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You'll be fine with 91-93 pumps gas with 10%E. I just wouldnt let it sit for long periods of time if not in use. I use VP - T4 97 octane 0%E for my 23 Kx 450. Also tuned for it. Of course 5 gallons is like $100.

Any gas stations nearby with 91 octane no E?

No ethanol-free gas near me.

I ended up buying two 5 gallon pails of 95 Octane Sunoco. With shipping is was $30 per gallon. Wife was not impressed. lol. There is some saying about begging for permission vs. asking for forgiveness?? Yeah, I chose the later.

You hit my problem on the head, the bike won't get a lot of use. Guessing no more than a few hours per year. If I did 6-8 track days next year, I'd be impressed.

And since I have five cops that live within a block of my house, the odds of frequently ripping it on the street are extremely small. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread