Something interesting about my car..

Noreast

Established Member
The other day I was talking with a member about our cars.... Since we both have 96s I said how out mirrors are smooth and the break vents are drilled out (like 94-95) but he than told be that his are closed off and his mirrors are textured ..... Does my car have this stuff because it was fully assembled in 95?? I never had another 96 to go off of only my cousins 97 so I thought they were differences between 96-97 but apparently not. Any one know why?

redrocket16

Established Member
I was at a show locally and someone was looking at my car for this stuff too. I can't remember what he said but I know the rear vents appear open on mine. He said it had to do with production but what's odd is my mystic is 1801 of mystics and 6161 for cobras.

Noreast

Established Member
I was at a show locally and someone was looking at my car for this stuff too. I can't remember what he said but I know the rear vents appear open on mine. He said it had to do with production but what's odd is my mystic is 1801 of mystics and 6161 for cobras.

Yeahh It's the weirdest thing. Have u ever checked to see if any other 96 has the break vents drilled? I never see 96 at car shows lol

SVT Rob

Established Member
I had a 96 GT that the c-scoop vents were open. You can see the tire smoke coming out of it:

BurnoutSecondGear.jpg

stanggirl14

Established Member
I have a 96, mine were open, changed them when I had it repainted. Seemed like a trap for sand here in NC LOL
My mirrors are textured too.

TDUB003

Established Member
My 96 was built in June of 96. I have the solid vents and the textured mirrors. Not sure how much difference it would make without modification but I think it would be cool to have the functional side vents.

I'm wondering if this is something similar to the 01 Teksid/Wap blocks where Ford put what they had on the shelf at the time in that particular car.

stanggirl14

Established Member
My 96 was built in June of 96. I have the solid vents and the textured mirrors. Not sure how much difference it would make without modification but I think it would be cool to have the functional side vents.

I'm wondering if this is something similar to the 01 Teksid/Wap blocks where Ford put what they had on the shelf at the time in that particular car.

I replaced my "open" ones with the closed ones, no mods, they snapped right in, but I'm not sure you'll be able to easily find the functional ones. You could always drill out the fake holes in the closed vents, lots of work though. And they really aren't functional b/c there isn't a hole in the fender well for the brakes to get air. The plastic vent just had open holes and there's a water drain in the bottom of the opening. Mine seriously just gathered sand, dirt and water and I was worried it would eventually rust the body.

Noreast

Established Member
Yeah mine was built 8/14/95. #26 built. Wonder their reasoning behind it also. Anyone with smooth mirrors?? I wanna take mine off and see if their the build sticker on it. Even my favtory rims have tags saying when it was installed/built

Last edited:

NVRL8TE

Death or Glory
Established Member

Mine is #1802/6162.

Last edited:

jmsa540

Established Member
mine don't have the open vents, my cousins 96 did.. always thought that was odd..

but whats very odd, is that my car never came with shoulder seat belts.. yup!

NVRL8TE

Death or Glory
Established Member
And to confirm, it was Noreast and I discussing it, and yes, mine has textured mirrors, and the vents cutout...

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
I replaced my "open" ones with the closed ones, no mods, they snapped right in, but I'm not sure you'll be able to easily find the functional ones. You could always drill out the fake holes in the closed vents, lots of work though. And they really aren't functional b/c there isn't a hole in the fender well for the brakes to get air. The plastic vent just had open holes and there's a water drain in the bottom of the opening. Mine seriously just gathered sand, dirt and water and I was worried it would eventually rust the body.

I heard rust and water buildup/mold was the exact reason Ford did away with them being functional.

Users who are viewing this thread