Someone welded the bumper mount on my Mach, wtf

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Crawled under it to mount a hitch and found this ****ery on the driver side mount

IMG_3197.jpeg

IMG_3195.jpeg

Even if I could get this out I have my doubts about being able to get a new bolt in place. If there wasn’t an issue why would this have been to start with?

This car was brand new at a dealer in the panhandle for a few months and couldn’t move it, they put under 100 miles on it and I’ve owned it since. Bumper cover was replaced when someone backed into it (dead center) with a hitch and creased it. It got a new cover and that’s it, still original foam
Back there. So no idea who or when this horse shit took place

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Weird. Space between bolt head and washer (pic). They painted it too.
Fix for stripped threads in frame? Weldrup?

View attachment 1824848

Kinda seems like it, welded the bolt to the washer and bracket.

Even if I take off the wheel, charcoal can, tail pipe and dremel it off serious concerns a new bolt won’t go in. Then what

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Kinda seems like it, welded the bolt to the washer and bracket.

Even if I take off the wheel, charcoal can, tail pipe and dremel it off serious concerns a new bolt won’t go in. Then what

And the gap?
Gotta welder? You could giver a go, and if it doesn't work, weldrup - lol.

1705173599080.jpeg

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
And the gap?
Gotta welder? You could giver a go, and if it doesn't work, weldrup.

View attachment 1824862

The mount is slotted for adjustment purposes

A friend about an hour away has a lift and welder. Might come to that

I really don’t wanna permanently install this hitch but not having one at all is a real problem

Morgan

Established Member
Is the hitch for pulling tires, hydraulic jack, fuel etc.? Maybe for an extended cruise type event?

I don’t know if this would actually work, but have you seen the suction cup racks?

I think they’re originally designed for bikes, but maybe something could be made to work.

If it fails you’re just yeeting your shit along the freeway. Film it and make some money!

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Is the hitch for pulling tires, hydraulic jack, fuel etc.? Maybe for an extended cruise type event?

I don’t know if this would actually work, but have you seen the suction cup racks?

I think they’re originally designed for bikes, but maybe something could be made to work.

If it fails you’re just yeeting your shit along the freeway. Film it and make some money!
Ya it’s to haul tires and tools for a drag week. I’ve seen a couple mustangs with suction cup racks and their tires up top so it’s a possibility

railroad

Established Member
Threaded hole would not line up for repairs.
It was drilled out, bolt stuck in the hole and welded to frame.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
It was drilled out, bolt stuck in the hole and welded to frame

The more I look at this, I think it’s factory. The primer on it matches and blends everything else perfectly and crash bar has never been off. If nothing else, I’m assuming the threads in the frame rail are stripped. Even if I get the bolt out, then what.

Guess I’m gonna take the bolt out of the other side and see what I’m dealing with

beau t

Established Member
Good call on looking at the other side first for direction. PS sorry about the BS considering its a new car, you would expect some jerry rigging if it was 20 yrs old but not if you bought new.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
It was drilled out, bolt stuck in the hole and welded to frame.

If you're saying what I think you're saying that would mean the bar was damaged and it damaged the frame rails or pulled them in so the new bar wouldn't line up properly. Given what he said about just a damaged bumper I don't see damaged rails being likely.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Good call on looking at the other side first for direction. PS sorry about the BS considering its a new car, you would expect some jerry rigging if it was 20 yrs old but not if you bought new.
Its an 03 but Im the only owner
If you're saying what I think you're saying that would mean the bar was damaged and it damaged the frame rails or pulled them in so the new bar wouldn't line up properly. Given what he said about just a damaged bumper I don't see damaged rails being likely.

Def not damaged, bumper cover just had a crease is all. Car is straight as an arrow, all the brackets are straight etc. You can tell the bolt is in the correct spot and all. That’s why I think it’s just stripped out threads or just some dipshit

HEMIMACH 98

Established Member
I'd grind the bolts off drill out the bolts easy out the bolts grind off the welds and replace the bumper and mounts

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Dropped the tail pipe and charcoal canister, hit it with an air hammer and it dropped right out. You can see all the factory undercoating, this bullshit was done by ford. There’s no nut cert in the hole. Not really sure wtf to do now tbh

IMG_3255.jpeg
IMG_3254.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread