some gun ques?

tw0scoops

Established Member
are you in apts or a house?
there can be a big difference in what you need also because of that. Mossberg 500's are great guns, we used em on our ship. easy to tear apart and maintain and it has a saftey as mentioned above if that is a concern. i also agree if your a newb the shotgun is the way to go. no need for aiming just "spray and pray" lol
try a pawn shop too, there are usually some pretty good deals there as well. you can usually find good prices on lightly used guns. once you get comfortable with em then spend the money on your preferred "piece". goodluck with the search...

townhouse. own the basement to the roof.

Sarge_13

Established Member
mossburg.jpg

/thread

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
Personally, I would buy a 12 gauge shotgun first.

When you are ready to buy a pistol, go to a gun store that has a range or go to an independent range and shoot several different models and calibers. Find the gun that you are most comfortable firing.

Humboldt5.0

Established Member
Just got a few more parts for my 870...

Knoxx Blackhawk recoil reducing stock

Tactical sling/Adapter

Tactical rail mount foregrip

2ch54cm.jpg

A girl could shoot it no prob:)

Panic661

Established Member
A 12 guage, or even 20 guage remington 870 will do the job perfectly for home defense.

Some times you don't hear a magazine being shoved into a hand gun, but a criminal WILL hear the chambering of a shell into a shotgun. There is no mistake to hearing that. And if he doesn't GTFO then, well, someones got a mess of body to clean up.

I asked my fiance one day, what she'd do if someone broke in and I wasnt home.. she said "grab a gun" I asked her, which gun.. she replied with "the shotgun"

I questioned why, her response was very simple, "because I know if I shoot in the persons direction, they probably won't get up."

With home defense, its generally dark, you don't want to have to aim. You want to be able to point in a general direction fire, and knock something down, or scare the dogpiss out of someone. The shotgun will do that.

A handgun is a better option for concealment, and a better scenario for something for a handgun is, retard tries to hold up the Kwik-E-Mart, and the customer pops the dude in the back with his .40 ..

Handgun will take alot of practice to get accurate with, cleaning and maintenance are a bit more involved then with a shotgun as well. Oh, and you can buy a CASE of shells for the same price you'd probably buy.. 30 bullets for lol.

(Well atleast here in Commiefornia)

dogmush

Established Member
The Shotgun is good advice.

Two things though:

From one southpaw to another; Get the Mossberg. the Mossberg 500 has the safety mounted on the top of the reciever and it can be hit with either thumb. The remmington's safety is a button in front of the trigger, and is the wrong way to disengage with your left hand.

And

I really get sick of hearing "get a shotgun, you don't have to aim". Sweet jeebus stop telling people that. Typical spread from 12ga buckshot from an unchoked 18" barrel is about 3" to 3.5" at 30 ft. You can still miss with it. Learn to use the sights. They aren't just for decoration.

Get an 18" Mossberg, with a pistol grip AND a stock (really. A Pistol grip only 12 GA is an SOB to shoot) and mount a flashlight on it so you can make positive target ID. Load it with 2 3/4 00 or 000 buckshot and you've got one of the best close quarters weapons ever invented.

Also I notice that you're in the Peoples Republic of New Jersey. Make sure you're in compliance with the myriad laws they've chosen to saddle you with.

JSZ03

Local Mustang Legend
Established Member
Forget the handgun idea and buy a shotgun.

For home defense, this is a good idea...in terms of handguns, however, I'd go with a Springfield XD .40 or .45....nice gun for the money

Knoxville COBRA

Established Member
Here are a couple of pieces from my home defence kit,lol
If you have a chance go to a gun show and talk to the people there and check out all your options and differant types of guns.:beer:
234.jpg

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
I have an 870 for the house. For the jeep i have a 1911. For the turbo car i have a 1911. for the patrol car its a Glock .45 AR16 and 870. For the belt i carry a keltec. Glock .40 for the off duty carry. Need to look at what you want to use it for. Buy a gun you can shoot not just when somebody is going to break in to your house. Get one you like to shoot. Most of the guys here know what they are talking about. go with the shot gun like they said. Go with an 870. shot barrel, longer tube, pistol grip and better stock. The one posted above looks nice. you can get that for less than the glock. just my .02

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
have any of you actually fired a shotgun loaded with your average home defense load in it at a target that's the distance you'll find in your house? I have.. a 12 ga 2 3/4" loaded with #4 shot (which is what mine is loaded with right now) you'll have a spread of about 10 inches, so you'd BETTER AIM that SOB before you fire it.. also, unless your in a large room, will you have that much room to aim your shotgun or will a handgun be easier to manuver? (what's beside my bed right now is a Springfield Armory 1911-A1 with 185 gr semi-wadcutters.. and a Crimson Trace laser sight) sighted in for 20 yards..

jman511115

Established Member
This is a clip

wolf_762_clip.jpg

This is a magazine

9mm_pistol_magazine.jpg

Get it right.

Otherwise, get a 1911. If you want to spend some $$$ on a nice one get a Kimber...

mpk1996

Established Member
I agree with a lot of the above. Get a shotgun. its much better for home defense. I do disagree with one sugestion though. don't get the pistol grip mossberg. get the reg style stock. the reason is the safety is very awkward to disengage with you and on the pistol grip. the safety was made to flip with your thumb on a traditional grip. when you have the pistol grip your thumb is under the grip and tucked away on the other side. so you have to unwrap your grip and move your thumb to the top to get it off.

if you get a pistol for self/home defense, as a novice, get a revolver. they are no brains and just simply work. for close combat its great. you can just shove the barrel in the bad guys gut and pull the trigger.

if you have an auto and you do that, you will take the gun out of battery (slide will be back slightly) and it will not fire. if you have it too close to your body and fire, the slide can hit you and not cycle properly. these are not always hard issues to deal with, but its takes lots and lots of training and practice to have this stuff happen like clock work. its going to be hard enough if you have to be in a situation that you need to use deadly force without having a problem. once you get used to shooting and comfortable, then buy an auto.

I would stay away from the 9mm too, especially for home defense. although it kicks less, its a small and very fast round. in a town house with people living in mult rooms, there is too great of a chance of one of those rounds going through the wall and killing/injuring someone on the other side that you didn't intent too. there have been many cops/entry team members killed by friendly fire with 9mm rounds going through the wall. the heavier, slower bullest (like a .40 or .45) don't do that quite as bad, but produce more impact energy.

FYI, i am an NRA instructor, Former Military Combat Pistol team shooter, miliatary and law inforcement officer. I shoot a fair amount, and have discussed all of this many time with other experts and industry professionals.

Users who are viewing this thread