some gun ques?

tw0scoops

Established Member
Hey guys.

Was thinking about getting a license for a gun and I really don't know too much about them, other than what I learned from decades of video games(sounds so lame,lol).

a friend of mine just got a Ruger SR2(I think). It was pretty cool lookin.

Anyway, I have no clue what I'd want for my first pistol. This would be strictly for home protection. It has to be incredibly reliable, durable, and accurate. Definately want a semi-auto. Prefer clip loading than a revolver.

Some names I've been considering looking at: Sig, Glock, Ruger(how are these?), HK. I'm not sure if spending the kinda money on a Sig is worth it for what I want out of my first gun or not.

Can you guys give me some tips on what I should be looking for? Thanks!

forged5.4dohc

Established Member
Hey guys.

Was thinking about getting a license for a gun and I really don't know too much about them, other than what I learned from decades of video games(sounds so lame,lol).

a friend of mine just got a Ruger SR2(I think). It was pretty cool lookin.

Anyway, I have no clue what I'd want for my first pistol. This would be strictly for home protection. It has to be incredibly reliable, durable, and accurate. Definately want a semi-auto. Prefer clip loading than a revolver.

Some names I've been considering looking at: Sig, Glock, Ruger(how are these?), HK. I'm not sure if spending the kinda money on a Sig is worth it for what I want out of my first gun or not.

Can you guys give me some tips on what I should be looking for? Thanks!

out of your choices listed,the glock is the easy winner b/c of reliability and price.not fond of any of the other brands.

dont look past a browning hi-power,or a cz 75b.they are both excellent pistols(i have a cz 75b stainless that i shoot uspsa,and ipsa with. i have over 7500 rounds throught it in the year that i have owned it,no failures of any kind.)

if u intend to carry the polymer pistols shure do weigh a lot less;-)

oh forgot,a 1911 is the sweetness though if u feel comfortable with the size and power of a .45. springfield,kimber,and colt all good chioces. they are slightly more complicated,but fit the hand like no other and are very accurate.

hope this helps.

Last edited:

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
i prefer a Sig Sauer but thats mostly because i have one. Glock is a good gun also and so is the Springfield XD imo. Glock is a very common gun but it is very reliable and is set at a fair price. H&k is a badass gun but it is very pricey, the gun i wanted was $899 lol. go to a gun range and fire a few, see how they handle in your hand and how comfortable you feel with it. one gun might feel good to someone and heavy to someone else. don't get a Ruger god all mighty please don't get a Ruger.....
now everyone is going to have different opinions.....those guns are the biggest POS you can get IMO. don't get it cause it looks cool man, you'll regret it trust me. everyone i know who has one says they suck and they wish they would've waited but got a good deal on em. take your time and really do your research on em, you'll save yourself a big hassle in the end.

tw0scoops

Established Member
Ok will do.

Yeah I won't get it cuz it looks cool, lol. Unless burglers are detered because a pistol looks nice? :p

I'm leaning toward a 9mm, since that sounds good for beginners. Which glock model should i be looking at?

tw0scoops

Established Member
Also, I'm a lefty. Are certain guns only made for righty's?

Last edited:

tw0scoops

Established Member
Forget the handgun idea and buy a shotgun.

LOL, my neighbor says nothing scares away a robber like the cocking sound of a shotgun coming down the stairs.

But I think I'll still start off small here.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
When will people learn that the ideal weapon for home defense is a shotgun (preferably pistol grip). Especially if your a newb, you wont hit crap with a pistol with all that adrenaline going if there is an intruder. Go shotgun and just point and spray. One of the buck shot pellets will at least hit the perp in the balls

txyaloo

Established Member
LOL, my neighbor says nothing scares away a robber like the cocking sound of a shotgun coming down the stairs.

But I think I'll still start off small here.

Then you're buying the wrong tool for the job. If the job is home defense, you need to buy a shotgun.

When will people learn that the ideal weapon for home defense is a shotgun (preferably pistol grip). Especially if your a newb, you wont hit crap with a pistol with all that adrenaline going if there is an intruder. Go shotgun and just point and spray. One of the buck shot pellets will at least hit the perp in the balls

+65,000. Many new gun owners just want a "piece" or a "gat" instead of the right tool for the job.

tw0scoops

Established Member
You guys make a valid point. That was a concern of mine, of whether id be so full of adrenaline I couldnt hit cra*.

Teethy

0S0SL0
Established Member
Go buy a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500... something to that effect will be 1) cheaper 2) no need for 'accuracy' 3) alot more knockdown power

Probably find a lightly used gun for 300 or less.

If you are deadset on a pistol. Glock, Springfield XD, Smith and Wesson M&P, Taurus 24/7, Kimber 1911's... etc.

tw0scoops

Established Member
Go buy a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500... something to that effect will be 1) cheaper 2) no need for 'accuracy' 3) alot more knockdown power

If you are deadset on a pistol. Glock, Springfield XD, Smith and Wesson M&P, Taurus 24/7, Kimber 1911's... etc.

What do those two shotguns run ya typically?

I still would want a pistol also. I always wanted to learned how to shoot.

txyaloo

Established Member

A brand new 870 is less than $300. A brand new 500 is less than $200 in most cases.

tankerman1981

Established Member
If all you want is home security like said above shotgun is the best way to go... just the sound of that thing racking a round would scare away anyone not supposed to be there but if deadset on a pistol..I have a Springfield XD 40 Subcompact.. I love it it's small enough to have close by but still packs a pretty good punch. Any direction you go will be your preference so good luck

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Find your local gun range and rent a few guns there. After you have done that, find one that feels good in your hands. As far as acuracy, its more about the user and not the weapon.

Teethy

0S0SL0
Established Member
Wow...that is a lot more affordable. Why is that?

Pump shotguns are very simple guns. Most have button safeties and are basically nothing more than a trigger mechanism and a firing pin. Home defense guns usually don't even have threads for a choke on the stock barrel.

Your pistols on the other hand have multiple built in safety mechanisms, a complicated loading mechanism, and a rifled barrel. Alot more craftsmanship goes into these guns thus driving the price up to 500$ range for most semi-automatic handguns like I listed above.

Thanks txyaloo for the prices, I haven't checked on new shotguns in a while...

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
are you in apts or a house?
there can be a big difference in what you need also because of that. Mossberg 500's are great guns, we used em on our ship. easy to tear apart and maintain and it has a saftey as mentioned above if that is a concern. i also agree if your a newb the shotgun is the way to go. no need for aiming just "spray and pray" lol
try a pawn shop too, there are usually some pretty good deals there as well. you can usually find good prices on lightly used guns. once you get comfortable with em then spend the money on your preferred "piece". goodluck with the search...

RCRAMIE

Established Member
Shotgun. but the only racking they are gonna hear is right before the second shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread