some decisions to make

1badblownstang

juiced snake
Established Member
My 3650 lost second gear. I am able to drive the car fine because with the 4.10's i can shift from 1st to 3rd.

I have a t-56 I just picked up. It needs an input shaft and a few little things. I have already bought all the normal upgrades: billet keys, bronze fork pads, steel 3/4 shift fork etc. I just put a termi cluth in my car not 1000 miles ago. Heres the problem, I also am getting a f1 procharger, so we all know the termi clutch is not going to hold.

Ok, heres my options. I for sure need to upgrade the clutch. The trans is giong to be out and it's just not smart cost wise to wait on upgrading the clutch. I was thinking spec 3. I can replace the input shaft back to a stock 10 spline for about 50.00. A 26 spline is over 300.00. Either way i have to buy the clutch, heres the 2 questions, try to save and wait a little longer and do the 26 spline? and is the spec 3 the best option?

The car will be on DR's when the f1 goes on, but will never see any launches at the track. So I'm not so sure I need the 26spline input.

I already have a full 8 rib set up and the car spins 7500+ with ease. So 650-700 rwhp before the 75 shot is pretty realistic. What do you all think? wait and get the 26 spline and is the spec 3 enough? Thanks in advance.

bsmith782

RANDY WATSON!
Established Member
There are terminators rolling around with 550+ RWHP on stock clutches.

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
With the progressive power/torque curve of the Procharger, I would say the 10 spline would be sufficient. I upgraded mine just because I could. Trans wasn't in yet, so before I bought a clutch I was like might as well just to avoid at least one more problem in the future. I did it for piece of mind.

1badblownstang

juiced snake
Established Member
Greycobra thats what I'm thinking also. There are cobras running around with 550, but I have not seen any with 700 on a stock clutch. I highly doubt it will hold at 8000 rpms and 700 hp, and thats without nitrous. I would love to do a dual disk, but they are so much money. I guess I will have to see how long I can live driving around with no 2nd gear, lol.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I never planned on 700 rwhp and I have a 26 spline. I think it is funny how people will say that the 28 spline axles in 99 cars is crap and weak, but a 10 spline input shaft is plenty strong. My thought process is that you could spend, what like $300+ on a clutch now, and then when you decide you do want/need the 26 spline, then you have to spend another $300+ on a clutch and $300+ on the input shaft, plkus take the time to drop the tranny again. Save yourself the time and the extra clutch and just do it now.

TWINTURB0

Banned
Get the McLeod twin disc clutch, i have that in my car, it was about 800$ though, but if you ever need to replace parts its like 250$ (for life)

Users who are viewing this thread