Solid axle guys, need wheel help

MVD

Established Member
I am trying to determine what size and backspacing I need to run for a 15" drag wheel. I would like to run Prostars and not grind the caliper. Will I be safe with a 15x8 (4.5" bs) or a 15x10 (6" bs).

I have searched until blue in the face but only seem to find threads about IRS setups with the Prostars.

Thanks for the help.

MVD

Established Member
TTT

Also I would like to keep the OEM rear brakes which is why I mentioned shaving the calipers. From what I understand using GT rear rotors eliminates the issue.

Thanks.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's the holiday weekend. I'm sure you'll get some input soon. :)

svtnos1011

STRIKE FIRST, STRIKE HARD
Established Member
MVD said:
TTT

Also I would like to keep the OEM rear brakes which is why I mentioned shaving the calipers. From what I understand using GT rear rotors eliminates the issue.

Thanks.
they are the same part number:thumbsup:

twisted03

Established Member
i have a solid with gt brakes and i run 15x10 pro stars with 6.5bs and before that 15x8.5 with 4bs. both fit perfactly with 28" tire. if you want to keep your cobra brakes you might want invest in some wheel spacers and a grinder but its a tight fit and probably still wont fit well and not very safe if your a high torque car with good traction. you will have to buy wheel spacers for the front unless u completely change the brakes if want to run skinnys up front.

MVD

Established Member
svtnos1011 said:
they are the same part number:thumbsup:

They can't be the same part number as the GT rear rotor are smaller than the OEM Cobra rear rotors, which is why everyone uses them for the extra clearance.

svtnos1011

Established Member
MVD said:
They can't be the same part number as the GT rear rotor are smaller than the OEM Cobra rear rotors, which is why everyone uses them for the extra clearance.
im sorry i was thinking of the caliper:bash:

svtnos1011

Established Member
MVD said:
I'm fairly certain the caliper is different too. Unless my research is incorrect.
had the same part number when i had both cars apart, the cobra and 01 gt that swapped rearends with me

MVD

Established Member

svtnos1011

Established Member

MVD

Established Member
AzSonicSnake said:
the pads are narrower on the cobra set though, due to the rotor being thicker...

So you can reuse the Cobra caliper but need GT rotors and pads.

I find it hard to believe of all the guys that have gone to a solid this info is so hard to come across. I have given up on reading old threads :(

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
No help here unfortunately. I'm one step behind you. I need to downgrade
to GT rear brakes to throw some 28" slicks and weld Alumastars on. I could
use some specifics as well.

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
cobra rear brakes fit fine. no spacers. no grinding. no clearance issues.
i dont know where everyone has gotten that they dont fit. i'll take pics of mine tomorrow so everyone can see. :beer:

Last edited:

MVD

Established Member
03InThe11s said:
cobra rear brakes fit fine. no spacers. no grinding. no clearance issues.
i dont know where everyone has gotten that they dont fit. i'll take pics of mine tomorrow so everyone can see. :beer:

What brand/size/offset wheel are you running?

weswtbcobra

Established Member
i can help because i just went through all this crap and yes- it is hard to get the correct info:

15x8 you need 5.5" backspacing
15x10 you want 6.5" backspacing
The 15" wheels will clear everything but the banjo bolt on the rear calipers- call dynospeed in tennesee and they have a kit to fix that (stainless steel brake lines that change the direction of the banjo bolt)

for the front- you will need a 1" spacer and still might have to grind the calipers a bit, also get 3" studs. everyone i talked to said don't use the bolt on spacers because they are not safe and will not pass tech.

it took me a month to gather and confirm all this info- hope it helps.

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
MVD said:
What brand/size/offset wheel are you running?

well, i run a weld draglite 15x8 with 4.5" backspacing. with slicks i use a 15x10 with 5.5" backspacing.

now, your requirements will be slightly different than mine, as i am using a SN95 axle, that is a few inches narrower.

Users who are viewing this thread