Solenoid by spark plugs? whats it's purpose

stuff03

Established Member
What is the purpose of the solenoid by the spark plug on top of the valve cover? I thought it was the camshaft position sensor because when i pulled the code the last time the CEL cam on it said, "cam timing over-retarded". I pulled the spark plug wire cover off and the solenoid in mention was laying on its side. I put it back on and everything was fine. Except now there is a problem with this solenoid and there is oil leaking out of it.

What is this solenoid and what is its purpose... Ford couldn't even tell me what the purpose of it is, only that it was a solenoid. If i can find out what its for, i can most likely narrow down whether or not this is causing my sluggishness.

Thanks

svteric

IMPORT KILLER!!!
Established Member
I am still having the problem with my car too. I just replaced the cam position sensor and it still is messed up. So ford said that it was my vct solenoid. It should arrive tomorrow. It costs 130 but I am going to get it for 52.67 since I work at carmax. I just hope this will fix the problem.

stuff03

Established Member
is that the solenoid that sits under the black spark plug cover? if so, did they say what it is for? I just ordered mine today, 107$

let me know.

svteric

IMPORT KILLER!!!
Established Member
:shrug:ford said its the brain of the motor. And yeah it does sit under the spark plug cover.

Last edited:

stuff03

Established Member
sweet, well i will have mine tomorrow, mine is leaking oil out of where the wire plugs into the solenoid, so i'm guessing its sending a bad signal because the wires are crossing from the oil.

I really hope this is all that wrong with my car! I'll keep you posted

stuff03

Established Member
well i have my new solenoid on, turns out mine was completely broken in half, but the break was so clean you couldn't tell that the two parts were suppose to be connected.

anyway, i haven't really noticed any change in drivability yet, its still extremely sluggish in low rpm's. Maybe it takes a while for the computer to relearn the way it suppose to be.

svteric

IMPORT KILLER!!!
Established Member
:shrug:that sucks! go ahead and disconnect the battery and let me know if it works afterwards.

elliot400

Certifiable SVT Poster
Established Member
I think that's the cam advance controller, like the Vtec solenoid on the side of Bseries Hondas. It can get stuck advanced or otherwise. E-

stuff03

Established Member
ive disconnected the battery and i've put about 200 miles on since the part was installed, i'm wondering if its not stuck or something, it does feel better, but the 4000rpm range just feels wrong, sounds wrong, the engine has a slight vibration, it sounds like its struggling horribly in that rpm range, like i'm going up hill against the wind pulling a trailer full of rocks, but then once i get past 5000rpms its fine...?

stuff03

Established Member
nope, no cel. Could it be that i'm just imagining things...? cus i only noticed this sound right after i put on my cold air intake... could it be that it always made this sound in this rpm range but i never heard it because of the restrictive stock intake setup?

SpeedOften

Established Member
The solenoid controls the timing of the intake cam, for purposes of retarding the timing for traction control as well increasing low end torque. The gasket around the solenoid is a very common problem.

svteric

IMPORT KILLER!!!
Established Member
help me out please! today i replaced the vct solenoid and it still drives like crap!!! so both the cam sensor and solenoid are new!! any ideas??? so when i turn off the vehicle and restart it it drives ok for a few seconds and then back to crap. so i figure it has to be a sensor since it resets.. please help me!!

stuff03

Established Member
i'm having that same problem still, i'm just going to go ahead and get the VCT delete kit and a couple of cam gears, easy to install and at least i can get it to run better overall and not just in high rpms, if i'm below 5000 rpm's i have no power at all.

So 300$ for everything to do the job and a couple of hrs to do it, i just hope this solves all of my problems, if it doesn't shes going up for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread