Sold my soul to the devil: did the unthinkable.

2012GT

Established Member
Drove her through an automatic car wash!

I was always one of the "I dont drive my car in the rain" and "2 bucket wash method" guys. I've been taking my 4 runner and my wife's Camry through this place for awhile without a hiccup. It's a quality car wash with the new soft cloths, they don't allow muddy trucks to enter etc. I bought my 5.0 to drive and it not be a show car. I was spending too much time washing and not enough time driving so I did the unthinkable. Man.... I was pleasantly surprised. I'll continue to do Black fire wet diamond twice a year but automatic car wash is the way to go. If you have one of the new quality carwashes in your area give it a shot. Close your eyes, pucker up and it'll all be over quick.

T0RCH3D

Established Member
Eh no thanks, though I think the quality has improved from the old swirl-o-matics. I get people bringing there cars back to me with swirls all over and ask how they was the car and there response is always the same...autowashes.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Never again! I got lazy one day and said **** it. Took it to a car wash that I see used often, and the car came out still dirty on some areas and with new noticeable scratches.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Touchless washes are fine.

Ive ran my car through touchless washes every so often when lazy. Actually its all I can do now with no driveway/garage to wash cars with (live in an apartment). Theres a chevron on the corner that has a touchless wash and vacuum/cleaning stations.

Right now I always have a good coat of collinite over klasse USG so I rock the base touchless wash, then after its done I pull into a spot and do a once-over with collinite if necessary or a gloss enhancer/spray wax like my Optimum gloss enhancer. Cant wait till I have to claybar and reapply K-USG, gonna be out there with the claybar then run it through then go at it. Too bad they didn't have any power cord hookups near the wash bay or id be going at it with the rotary too.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Show us some close ups with a Brinkman!!

I will stick with the GDWM or the 2 bucket wash thank you very much. No swirl-o-matic for this guy!

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
what do you guys think of "hand car washes"? I have one in my area, and they do a very good job of getting the car clean. Never went to automatic car wash with any of my cars.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I only either wash our cars by hand or use a detailing shop a block from the office that does quality hand washes. IMO if you are considering a hand wash shop first tour the shop and learn their practices. Best time is when they're actually washing a car.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

RC-5.0

Established Member
OP never posted any follow up as to the type of car wash.

ONE caviat about "hand" or "touchless' washes. Unless you know what soap they use..avoid them. One wash with harsh detergent and BAM...there goes your protection.

About 2-bucket method..it's YOUR car, but IMO it's a waste of time (at least for me with my Ingot Silver). My car is not driven so much and is usually not that dirty when I clean it. I guess if you have black or deep color, and you have a lot of dirt on it, then it's fine, but I soak the car with car shampoo (in a foam sprayer) then rinse well before touching anything to it. I rarely have any dirt on the mitt from the car.
RC

2012GT

Established Member
No it's not a "touchless" car wash. It is a soft cloth drive thru and does a great job. I took it back through yesterday and spent an hour or so today (memorial day)throwing on a quick coat of Blackfire Wet Diamond. I don't know how to post pictures in a message.

RC-5.0

Established Member
No it's not a "touchless" car wash. It is a soft cloth drive thru and does a great job. I took it back through yesterday and spent an hour or so today (memorial day)throwing on a quick coat of Blackfire Wet Diamond. I don't know how to post pictures in a message.

:nonono::nonono::nonono:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member

This is another one I'd love to close up pics of with a Brinkman. I bet the swirls look like a topographical map:nonono:

flS/R

Established Member
those car washes are great when returning a rental car. I have only used them a couple times for my personal car. I am just too afraid that something will go wrong while in there so I just wash it myself at least once every 2 weeks

shad2009

Tungsten GT
Established Member
i've been to a touchless just to see the damage that it does...it knocks off the big dirt and leaves everything else and adds more damage

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
i've been to a touchless just to see the damage that it does...it knocks off the big dirt and leaves everything else and adds more damage

Yup- Junkman just did a vid documenting this. Pretty enlightening for all those convinced touchless washes are effective or safe.

UncleDan

Established Member
Just curious...but you know how touchless washes work right?

Find a good one and they work pretty well. I only use them when desperate, but never an automatic wash with the brushes. Getting a little dirt off the car is not worth the guaranteed swirls/scratches you'll get from going through one of those.

Hand wash is still the best.

SpectorV

Established Member
touchless or auto car washes all do horrible jobs so if I dont feel like washing it I just leave it dirty.

Users who are viewing this thread