Sold my 10th Cobra vert for a Z06

SVT543of2003

Established Member
I know a lot of you on here have gone from Cobra to Z06 and back and forth. I decided to get a Z06 because they finally came down into my price reality and because the 2013 GT500 I was looking into didn't feel like it was worth the money to me after I drove it. Price was still too high IMO. Wasn't sure I was going to like the vette but the short drive today was pretty impressive. I still have a 2012 Coyote 5.0 so I'm not without a stang.

does anyone have any pointers on this type of change?

Z1_zps76b84689.jpg

Z3_zps1874676a.jpg

Z2_zpsb54a4965.jpg

Z4_zps6cb5e0f1.jpg

Z5_zps277463fa.jpg

FICannon

Semper Fidelis
Established Member
Nice! From an apple to an orange.

I miss my Zo6! My advice : ENJOY IT!!

SVT543of2003

Established Member
What year Vette is it? Looks to be in awesome condition.

2007 2LZ Car, 19,000 miles. I'm the third owner, I only bought it from a dealer because my friend (and former boss) needed it traded to save sales tax on his new DD. I have the history of this car back to the original owner walking it down the line at Bowling Green. The binder in the front is about a foot thick.

Stevenbekah

Cobra bitten
Established Member
Performance wise, you've upgraded ! I've read (Like I'm sure many here have...) nothing but good about your choice

We look forward to a recap after a week or so of true drivin...

stangfreak

Established Member
I think everyone on svtp has a c6z06 and there are more vette owners on here than mustang lol. nice car man. I love the z06

SVT543of2003

Established Member
Performance wise, you've upgraded ! I've read (Like I'm sure many here have...) nothing but good about your choice

We look forward to a recap after a week or so of true drivin...

Worst part is it's winter here now, so won't know for at least 3-4 months.

Grabber07'

Established Member
Do some research on the Exhaust Valve dropping issue, its real and partly why I got rid of my 08 Z06. Tired of wondering when mine was going to have a catastrophic failure.

Solution is bronze guides and stainless steel valves, but be prepared to spend some $.

Guess I had the opposite feeling about the 2014 GT500 I picked up, worth every penny IMO. With just a few mods, its a MONSTER.

Was not impressed with the Interior or navigation system on my Z06, not to mention you have to beware of every driveway or slight incline due to how low the car is. Ford has done a great job on its interior and navigation on the other hand. The Recaro seats and glass roof are also spectacular.

You will enjoy the Z06. Handles like a sports car should, fast, and nimble.....but the valve issue just made me mad. The corvette forum will have more info on this subject, good luck.

Last edited:

R1Lello

Established Member
Congrats!! Pm me some time, we'll hook up at the local hangouts. As for the valve issues, I put on some great flowing PRC heads with Ti Intake/SS exhaust valves, mild cam and a few other goodies..........I no longer worry and the extra power is sweet :)

Four cam slam

Bacon Enthusiast
Established Member
Nice ride! I'm stuck with the shitty weather here in Orangeville too....
First thing I would no is lower the car on the stock bolts. Fun, fast , and free!!!:beer:

whiplash306

Established Member
Do some research on the Exhaust Valve dropping issue, its real and partly why I got rid of my 08 Z06. Tired of wondering when mine was going to have a catastrophic failure.

Solution is bronze guides and stainless steel valves, but be prepared to spend some $.

You will enjoy the Z06. Handles like a sports car should, fast, and nimble.....but the valve issue just made me mad. The corvette forum will have more info on this subject, good luck.
Grabber nailed it… Two years and a couple months ago, I sold off my 600+ rwhp '04 Cobra and bought my '08 ZO6 BONE STOCK with 4,167 miles on the clock….and I can not stress enough the IMMACULATE condt'n this car was and still is in….clear bra ALL OVER the car, floor mats over floor mats, door threshold and door panel protectors, plastic over the dead pedal and driver's side kick panel area…shoot, the previous owner was cleaning the freaking brake lines the day before the car carrier came and picked the car up to deliver to me, etc, etc…. Soon as I got the car, I sent her to Late Model Racecraft (LMR) in Houston and had exhaust, cam and intake work done (Slayer Package). Then, after getting her back and enjoying the new found power, I starting doing more research and found out about the valve guide wear issues, which were leading to catastrophic engine failures. This got me scared and I literally stopped driving the car for awhile. Good thing I did too, 'cause at just a tick over 6k miles, I sent the car back down to LMR to have the head work performed (now, Reaper Package…see signature below) with bronze guides and stainless steel exhaust valves and they said that my stock OEM valve guides were TOAST! I was literally on borrowed time in a pristine mint condt'n '08 ZO6 with only 6k on the clock in a car that had NEVER been driven rough in its existence.

So all that to say, it doesn't matter the condt'n or care of these cars - if you want to have a trouble free car, send the car off to have the head work done. It's peace of mind insurance that could likely pay off SIGNIFICANTLY in the long run!

Otherwise, enjoy the heck out of your (super)car…! They are performance bargains that will shock the crud out of you the more you drive it and familiarize yourself with it! ….and watch out for those speed bumps and steep driveways! :)

Silversnake13

Established Member
ive owned both, prefer the shelby and the z06 has HORRIFIC past with that motor blowing, do a simple google search or search on corvetteforums.com, its everywhere....but mine ran great and traded my 2011 z for the Shelby and never looked back!

SVT543of2003

Established Member
Thanks everyone for the input. This car was significantly cheaper than any 2013 GT500 I could have landed, so the decision was easy for me. I'm a Mustang guy (had 9 of them) it was time to change it up a bit and besides, my 2012 GT auto is amazing, love the glass roof, I drive it daily from Mar-Nov. Ran a best 11.92 as well N/A on a drag radial.

I still have to learn all the stuff this car does on the interior, but I very much knew about the valve issue before I bought it, just like the Cobra head tick etc.

I will look closer at the packages LMR does, I've seen lots of their videos on youtube.

H/C/I swap sounds like a good plan, since I heard the LS7 can't take more than about 4-5 psi boosted anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread