Social Security Numbers..... Are they really yours?

Is your social security number really yours?

• Yes, it is mine.

Votes: 52 74.3%
  • No, it is not mine.

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • I do not really know.

Votes: 10 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
when im at work, i type on "my" computer. Sure its not owned by me, its owned by my employer, but given that i've been granted its use, I take ownership of it.

p.s. who ****ing cares?

I'm no attorney but I can guarantee you that legally you never take ownership of any of your employers stuff or anyone elses just because you use it.

Robert Francis

Established Member
I think most of us feel that "our" unique individual soc sec number is "exclusive" to ourselves - but do we "really" own it? Is it something we really could call ours as it belongs to us? Hmmm.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I'm no attorney but I can guarantee you that legally you never take ownership of any of your employers stuff or anyone elses just because you use it.

Yet it is yours, as you are liable for it. You may not have legal title to it, but you do have legal possession of it. Therefore it is yours subject to the rightful owner demanding its return.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member

no, you don't take legal ownership of it, but you take figurative ownership of it.

Just like a SSN is figuratively yours, because its been assigned to you.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Yet it is yours, as you are liable for it. You may not have legal title to it, but you do have legal possession of it. Therefore it is yours subject to the rightful owner demanding its return.

absolutely right, the rightful possessor is what matters to the law

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member

I never said posession, I said take legal ownership. which you don't get just because you use the company's lap top everyday. As you stated, "the rightful owners" own the equioment. I would also think this type of law isn't even applicable when it comes to the use of office equipment and the like, that are used daily by employees. I doubt they are even liable: its not up to an employee to service and secure the companies equipment. Sure, they can't steal it, but that about as far as thier liaiblility goes.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
I never said posession, I said take legal ownership. which you don't get just because you use the company's lap top everyday. As you stated, "the rightful owners" own the equioment. I would also think this type of law isn't even applicable when it comes to the use of office equipment and the like, that are used daily by employees. I doubt they are even liable: its not up to an employee to service and secure the companies equipment. Sure, they can't steal it, but that about as far as thier liaiblility goes.

Lets stay on point. You responded to Quadcammer. He works in the financial industry and is most likely (as his point indicates) assigned a laptop to take home and is for his exclusive use. Staying on this point, since you questioned him, and he responded, the fact is he has possession and a property right in the computer. Additionally, since it is in his lone possession, he is likely to be responsible for what happens to it.

I am responsible for my Govt assigned laptop, car, weapon, bullet-resistant vest, etc. They are "mine" as they are assigned specifically to me and I have their lone possession. I have signed a property release form for them and I must pay for them if I lose them.

Once again, this is a point of basic property law.

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
Lets stay on point. You responded to Quadcammer. He works in the financial industry and is most likely (as his point indicates) assigned a laptop to take home and is for his exclusive use. Staying on this point, since you questioned him, and he responded, the fact is he has possession and a property right in the computer. Additionally, since it is in his lone possession, he is likely to be responsible for what happens to it.

I am responsible for my Govt assigned laptop, car, weapon, bullet-resistant vest, etc. They are "mine" as they are assigned specifically to me and I have their lone possession. I have signed a property release form for them and I must pay for them if I lose them.

You are incorrect sir. Again, I never said possesion, I said ownership. First, you presume that I have prior knowledge Quadcammers situation at work, which while you may, I do not. I read Quadcammers post, which clearly states "When I'm at work I type on "my computer..", so please, if we're going to stay on point lets do so. Quadcammer clearly states he's at work. He also shows that he understands he is not the owner of "his" computer but the "user" He merely uses the computor. Granting someone use of an item or using an item without permission doesn't give you ownership, regardless of where its used.

Last edited:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
First, you don't own an SSN. You are assigned a SSN by the Social Security Office.

Second, if you were assigned a SSN at birth and you signed the SSA as a child (yes, that little card), you are not legally bound to Social Security under the SSA as by law you cannot engage in a contractual agreement with the government until your 18th birthday.

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
i laminated the card. i'm pretty sure that they're currently after me for it. :bored:

clearly not mine :eek:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
You are incorrect sir. Again, I never said possesion, I said ownership. First, you presume that I have prior knowledge Quadcammers situation at work, which while you may, I do not. I read Quadcammers post, which clearly states "When I'm at work I type on "my computer..", so please, if we're going to stay on point lets do so. Quadcammer clearly states he's at work. He also shows that he understands he is not the owner of "his" computer but the "user" He merely uses the computor. Granting someone use of an item or using an item without permission doesn't give you ownership, regardless of where its used.

It is useless for me to continue debating this with you. You are not arguing the law. A computer is property. Thus the law of property applies. Possession is part of the law of property.

Nevermind, I refuse to confuse you with any more facts.

Ride Along

i has an avatar!
Established Member
So, do you think that if Social Security is ever discontinued, will they continue issuing numbers, or will they just re-name it as a Federal ID #?

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
You could laminate the old ones. One of the reasons why you can't laminate the new ones.

yeah it was possible to, but it clearly states on the back DO NOT LAMINATE THIS CARD. Hey, if they can get you for tearing off the tab on your matresss, just imagine the excruciating torture they'll put you through for your SS card.:smmon:

Anyone ELSE have 2 SS numbers?

now i love being 2 humans as much as the next person, but wtf :dw:

Last edited:

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
First, you don't own an SSN. You are assigned a SSN by the Social Security Office.

Second, if you were assigned a SSN at birth and you signed the SSA as a child (yes, that little card), you are not legally bound to Social Security under the SSA as by law you cannot engage in a contractual agreement with the government until your 18th birthday.

wrong. Your parents sign for it, and they speak for you in law.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
now i love being 2 humans as much as the next person, but wtf :dw:

Swadagawd.

When I got my license at 16, I couldn't find my SS card so I requested a duplicate. I used the duplicate and then found my original a few days later and the numbers are different. I went back to using my original one. Everything has been okay with my taxes, credit etc but 1 time when I was upgrading my SprintPCS service they told me that my SS number on file said I wasn't 18 yet, even though I was 22. :coolman:

Last edited:

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member

His post(quabcammers) indicates nothing as far the assumptions you make. Please tell me where he makes or intimates any of your assertions about his job and the assigment of a lap top? Also, please tell me what question did I pose to Quadcammer. I certainly don't see where I questioned him or got a response to anything I posted from him. You tell me. a bus driver drives "his" bus everyday for 30 years. Does he own the bus??? He's in possesion of it on a regular basis, but he doesn't own a god damned thing. You signed a property release form for the items you spoke about, Why? Because you, while having these things assigned to you for your use in the performance of your duties and will be in possesion of them, do not own them and never will. You had to sign a release guaranteeing payment for these items if lost or damaged specifically because you do not own these things regardless of your possesion of them. So please, don't lose anything thats not yours!!!

Users who are viewing this thread