So who builds this car anyways...

a94cobra

Established Member
It was my understanding that the Shelby Cobra is built on the same production line as the rest of the Mustangs in a Ford Plant.

My local dealer is trying to claim they send these out to Shelby for modification. He argued with me pretty good. He is the new car sales manager, and I am a Ford nut, surely he doesn't think I am that dumb.

Dave07997S

Established Member
The GT500's are built down a Ford line, the Shelby GT's are sent to Shelby to convert the Mustang to a Shelby GT. He is confusing the GT500 with the Shelby GT.

Dave

SVTCobraR

Banned
a94cobra said:
It was my understanding that the Shelby Cobra is built on the same production line as the rest of the Mustangs in a Ford Plant.

My local dealer is trying to claim they send these out to Shelby for modification. He argued with me pretty good. He is the new car sales manager, and I am a Ford nut, surely he doesn't think I am that dumb.
every one is actually custom built by different companies around the county.

a94cobra

Established Member
Well, I understand the salesman not knowing. But not the new car sales manager.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
just like the '68 and '69 Shelbys ('70 cars are just retagged unsold '69s) this is in the context of the gt500. as far as i know, the shelby gt is actually a mustang sent to shelby's vegas facility for conversion by prison laborers. shelby is also selling his own version of the gt500.

a94cobra said:

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I was under the impression that the GT500's are manufactured along the same lines as the 03/04' Cobras.......That is, they designated 100+/- employees from other areas of the plant to work on the special Shelby GT500 manufacturing line. These employees will stay on this assembly line until the GT500's will no longer be manufactured at which point Ford will reassign them to another assembly assignment.

The GT500 motors, I believe are assembled also like the 4.6 Terminator motors were and that is with 18+/- two-man teams working together until the motor is completely assembled at which point they begin a new 5.4. Typical motor production for the DOHC 4.6 was 3 motors per day per team and I would assume the GT500 motors are probably produced at approximately the same rate.

Venomhiss

Established Member
jcthorne said:
The SuperSnake is not a model. It is an aftermarket modification package. The KR is a model, or will be.

Correction, it will be both. You can order a SS (stealing chevy intials again 40 years later) by either a retrofit to your current gt500/kr or you can flat out order it as a SS to begin with. Guess its gonna matter down the line when your able to say "my car was converted to a SS" and being able to say "my car left the show room a SS". Which one you think gets the higher desireablity factor.

69b302

Established Member
Venomhiss said:
Correction, it will be both. You can order a SS (stealing chevy intials again 40 years later) by either a retrofit to your current gt500/kr or you can flat out order it as a SS to begin with. Guess its gonna matter down the line when your able to say "my car was converted to a SS" and being able to say "my car left the show room a SS". Which one you think gets the higher desireablity factor.

There has been nothing stated from Shelby Auto that indicates you could ever order a SS option on a NEW GT500. Any info to back the SS option on GT500s? I follow this stuff and this would be news.

Snakebite

Proud Member of the MCT
Established Member
IronTerp said:
I was under the impression that the GT500's are manufactured along the same lines as the 03/04' Cobras.......That is, they designated 100+/- employees from other areas of the plant to work on the special Shelby GT500 manufacturing line. These employees will stay on this assembly line until the GT500's will no longer be manufactured at which point Ford will reassign them to another assembly assignment.

The GT500's are mixed in with all of the other Mustangs at the AAI plant in Flatrock. There is no exclusive line or special assembly teams building these cars. The 03/04 Cobras were produced in the same fashion...randomly mixed into the line with all of the other Stangs, with the exception that they were produced at the Dearborn Assembly Plant.

IronTerp said:
The GT500 motors, I believe are assembled also like the 4.6 Terminator motors were and that is with 18+/- two-man teams working together until the motor is completely assembled at which point they begin a new 5.4. Typical motor production for the DOHC 4.6 was 3 motors per day per team and I would assume the GT500 motors are probably produced at approximately the same rate.

Yes...two person assembly teams complete each motor at the Romeo Engine Plant on the "Niche Line".

The MCT have toured all three of these plants and I was fortunate enough to watch my Shelby get built during a segment of the assembly process in Flatrock.:burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread