So Whats Next for KB/Whipple/Procharger Owners??

chrisle7220

Established Member
So what is the next step in the modding process? I mean most of ya'll have about 600whp which is enough for any car, but if you wanted more what would be the next mod? Cams sound like a good mod, but some have had good gains and others bad. Any aftermarket heads available? Stroke?

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by chrisle7220
So what is the next step in the modding process? I mean most of ya'll have about 600whp which is enough for any car, but if you wanted more what would be the next mod? Cams sound like a good mod, but some have had good gains and others bad. Any aftermarket heads available? Stroke?

Twin-turbo.... :p

MJ

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yep, twin turbo!!! A cam, though, should make some nice power. I've yet to hear of "bad gains" with the right cam. Check with JDM Engineering for the straight scoop on a cam.

chrisle7220

Established Member
Has anyone in here tried porting the stock heads and getting aftermarket cams? Ive heard stage 2 crower cams give you about 60-70rwhp, but when i read the MM&FF mag, it has a KB cobra with the same cams only putting out like 40+rwhp. Kinda low if your paying 1k for the cams plus another 500 for the springs and retainers. And thats not even installed? Now if a person can get 60-70rwhp with cams, then porting the heads can give a cobra an extra 80-100rwhp with cams and ported head. That would be insane.

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by chrisle7220
Has anyone in here tried porting the stock heads and getting aftermarket cams? Ive heard stage 2 crower cams give you about 60-70rwhp, but when i read the MM&FF mag, it has a KB cobra with the same cams only putting out like 40+rwhp. Kinda low if your paying 1k for the cams plus another 500 for the springs and retainers. And thats not even installed? Now if a person can get 60-70rwhp with cams, then porting the heads can give a cobra an extra 80-100rwhp with cams and ported head. That would be insane.

I did the crower stage2 grinds and the gain was not that much. More like 30rwhp at best.

MJ

chrisle7220

Established Member
Originally posted by mjchip
I did the crower stage2 grinds and the gain was not that much. More like 30rwhp at best.

MJ

Was your car equipped with the KB, or was this done on the stock eaton?

stangfreak

Established Member
i think the jdm crower cams have a different grind than the regular crower cams. not sure:shrug:

stang007

Established Member
I just did the stage 2 crowers like mjchip. I was running 17 psi before the cam install and the efficiency of the cams brought me to 15.8 psi with a gain of about 28hp which most would think sucks for the cost/time of doing them, however when putting the next size pulley to get me back to about 17 psi I picked up another 26hp. The combination of the two gave me an additional 54hp. Not bad, not to mention that the sound is awesome.

To sum up, cams are pricey, but a good decision, or you could spend a little more and have your bottom end rebuilt and do a big bore or stroker. I've heard that our heads are pretty efficient and don't respond as well to porting as the earlier cobra heads do, I could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread