So the strut to spindle bolts are one time use...?

Dave_6

Established Member
Seriously? That's the first time I've ever heard of something like this on any car. Anyone on here ever just reused the original ones? My car only has ~8500 miles on it and I haven't road raced it or anything. I'm trying to get this thing lowered this week but if I have to get new bolts it's going to be another few days before I can get this damn thing back on the ground. :nonono:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
We reused mine multiple times....removal and install of factory struts when I installed my springs, then again when I installed new struts.

corruptor

Established Member
They are one time use because the bolt nuts are slightly out of round, so when you tighten them down, they deform into the correct locking shape.

Some people use red loctite and reuse the bolts. In my opinion, with suspension stuff better to be safe than sorry.

BMR Tech

Basically, every suspension bolt (or every bolt on the car, for that matter) is "techinically" suppose to be replaced. The Ford Manual states to replace just about every bolt on the car, once it is removed.

I can confirm, I have NEVER seen one fail on a customers car, and 99.9256% of our customers re-use them, multiple times....as do we. Ours have been on/off our car atleast 50 times, that is actually on the low-side...I'd say closer to 100.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Used them again and again, mod after mod, on 3 different S197 cars. Not once have I ever had an issue. The bolts are TTY (Torque To Yield), but people have been reusing them for a long time.

Dave_6

Established Member
Thanks guys, I'll just reuse these then. I don't daily drive it either FWIW.

Good idea to use some Loctite though?

scott_0

Established Member
reused mine as well, aint even worried about it

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Just make sure to tq to spec an with suspension loaded

george.arnold

Established Member
I know I'm bringing this thread back from the dead, but I'm about to be doing strut/shocks on my car and my father's car. I've reused my bolts/nuts at least twice now, but I'm wondering if there is another option. Like a Grade 8 nut/bolt we could use that would be safe and not require the one-time use set.

Users who are viewing this thread