So the Big Question....How much will an Aluminator take?

DoomsDay

Slayer of Gods...
Established Member
Mine is currently being installed and haven't found any solid info regarding what they will take.

I've heard about Buster's deal over on modular fords regarding what possibly was a failure of the motor mount bolt. But i've heard little regarding what hp range these are supposed to be good for. Im hoping it will take around 800rwhp. Anyone have any other info regarding anyone running one?

I think its a damn shame that Ford Racing is so cryptic with information on what this motor can handle. Heck, you can't even find information substantiating the PTW clearance. Thats pretty shady IMHO. You'd think that Ford Racing would want to clarify the data on these questions considering the options that are available for aftermarket modular motors. It doesn't make sense to me.

jumperjack

Established Member
What I could find

Originally Posted by mystical
Awesome car man! What are the specs on the Aluminator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk
Nice,
so is it just like a stock '04 Cobra engine in aluminium or is there more to it?
What about the piston to wall clearance?

Information from Ford Racing on engine specs:

• Mahle pistons modeled off the Ford GT piston.
• Manley rods balanced to OE Terminator specs (this is a tighter tolerance than the typical aftermarket Manley's and we pay accordingly for that)
• Forged 4.6L crankshaft
• Terminator fasteners (head bolts, main bolts, etc.) torqued exactly to proper spec in a factory environment. The tool only torques in proper order there is no room for human error from mis torque or incorrect fastener order.
• Ford GT connecting rod bearings
• To buy all components from Ford dealer to dress exactly like a Terminator the cost is about $15k. That's at dealer MSRP for everything including fasteners and accessories. Most customers will likely have a donor engine/parts or use some remanufactured components.
• The blower kit alone polished is $3,849 MSRP, $3,359 MSRP in wrinkle black
• For those who were at SEMA the engine stand was incorrect with its details on what the engine includes.
Regarding the block the newest block is the strongest ever produced by Ford. It is far stronger than the Teksid block. This is because of a new casting process developed by Cosworth in racing blocks that we incorporated into the production casting. It involves zircon sand and chilled bulkhead cooling to bring the temperature of the casting down faster causing the aluminum to be more dense thus stronger. We also changed the windows in the main web between the cylinders to round holes eliminating potential stress cracks in a square corner. Lastly we added material to the main caps which are powdered metal but are ball burnished for strength.

We feel confident with the block to 700hp. Above that level we began to see accelerated bearing wear. It just begins to move around and will drastically shorten the life of one's engine. Granted there are plenty of folks make more power than that but for how long?

You can see an increase in power with an iron block beginning at around 400hp although the difference is negligible for street cars until you get to around 700hp. In an all out race car with a minimum weight and close competition an iron block may be the better choice to get that minor edge at even 400 or 500hp. Depends on each cars setup.

For over 700hp with any reliability I recommend customers check out our new M-6010-Boss50 block. Tested to well over 1000hp this season in the Sutton racing EFI Renegade car (record holder for ET and MPH this season) and Justin Burcham's "world's fastest 3-valve". Both rave about this new iron block and at $1,999 MSRP and 94mm bore it's hardly worth prepping a stock iron 4.6L block."
user_offline.gif

DoomsDay

Slayer of Gods...
Established Member
So it originally looks like 800rwhp would be no issue because it seems like the p2x clearance issue is delt with and the pistons are upgraded. Both of which seem to have been the weak points in the original terminators. With many 03/04 taking around 700rwhp i would think with the upgrades that 800rwhp would be ok.

But then later in the article they seem like they are less assured of the motor at these power levels.

So which is it? Am i looking like i'll be running the ragged edge of this motor even though upgraded guys are making near that on stock block 03 cars?

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I know it has been extensively tested at 700rwhp in a racing environment, with a blower.

It's hard for a manufacturer to go out there and quote a figure, when they have no idea what the intended use will be.

800rwhp on a turbo car may produce the same cylinder pressures as 700rwhp on a blower car, because 100hp is going to drive the blower. a 300hp shot of nitrous on a 300rwhp motor may be more abuse than the above mentioned turbo or sc, because of it's instantaneous and violent nature.

What is the link to the MF thread?

DoomsDay

Slayer of Gods...
Established Member
I know it has been extensively tested at 700rwhp in a racing environment, with a blower.

It's hard for a manufacturer to go out there and quote a figure, when they have no idea what the intended use will be.

800rwhp on a turbo car may produce the same cylinder pressures as 700rwhp on a blower car, because 100hp is going to drive the blower. a 300hp shot of nitrous on a 300rwhp motor may be more abuse than the above mentioned turbo or sc, because of it's instantaneous and violent nature.

What is the link to the MF thread?

Thank you for your input, so you've heard of this motor making 700hp in a race environment with a blower. I'm guessing your talking about the drift car they originally ran this in? Blue S197 car?

So what do you think? Think it would handle 800rwhp?

Users who are viewing this thread