so i was driving down the highway..( car died, dash lit up)

SVT DAN

Established Member
today was a bad day. i was driving down the highway and my cobra just turned off. like just shut down nothing worked except my lights telling me check engine, wheel hop, etc. my brakes didn't work nor my power steering. i turned the key and the car came back on. drove it for about 30 miles with no problem. then after work its cut off on me again in almost the same exact spot as earlier in the day and the same thing happened. i have no clue as to why my car did this. can anyone relate or have a solution? thanks

mec03svt

SomethingVeryTechnical
Established Member
Sounds like an alternator. Just luck of the draw. Get it tested to be sure before you throw parts at it. Some people's 03's blew head gaskets while low mileage too. Shit happens. Does the power seem to dim?

SVT DAN

Established Member
you know what mec03 now that i think about it sometimes the light dims when i turn on A/C. i just read that it could be the main ground wire?

Blackedout

Established Member
The temp hit 100 up here today... must be warmer there... what was the temp of the car at with the ac on ??

Tims97SVT

Established Member
Op, you did not say that you had to jump start the car? Correct it restarted fine? If this is the case you can almost rule out a charging system problem. If you have the original battery, it won't hurt to replace it. What mods are on you car?

SVT DAN

Established Member
no i did not have to jump start the car i just turned the key and it came back on and drove fine.

Tims97SVT

Established Member
Humm, well guys if it was the alternator.. that means the car would have stopped charging, ran off the battery until the car died and then it'd be dead on the side of the road. But op got it restarted without jumping the car. Let's rule that out and move on..

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
im on my 3rd or 4th alt since owning my car, and not once when my alt went out did i have symptoms like op is describing. with the alt, the radio will cut off, the ABS light will flash, and often times so will the battery light....THEN the car will die...and wont start back up without a jump. its also been the ONLY times i have seen my ABS light flash.

Monster Mach

Established Member
Ok since people are bitching left and right about the alt.. people need to upgrade the wiring to the alts as soon as they can so they arnt stressing the alt out with the tiny ass wire running from the alt... look up big 3.. I'm going to have a alt builder I know that supplys the best alts in the car audio world come here and sell his shit.. (also a mustang buddy)

SVTDice

Established Member
Monster, I'm sure alot of people on this forum would very much appreciate that. How much is involved in upgrading the wiring anyways?

big dad

Established Member
My guess initially was a starting/charging system problem. But after reading all the comments I'm leaning towards an ignition switch either being defective or out of adjustment.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
today was a bad day. i was driving down the highway and my cobra just turned off. like just shut down nothing worked except my lights telling me check engine, wheel hop, etc. my brakes didn't work nor my power steering. i turned the key and the car came back on. drove it for about 30 miles with no problem. then after work its cut off on me again in almost the same exact spot as earlier in the day and the same thing happened. i have no clue as to why my car did this. can anyone relate or have a solution? thanks

after re-reading this post thoroughly, it sounds more like we are working with something similar to the "stall" issue.

allow me to elaborate a bit... hes driving down the highway..ok we got that. at some point his car died/"shut off". nothing worked. except for on the dash was the check engine light, the traction control light. (which OF COURSE he would see, b/c his car just died!).. furthermore, he says his power brakes didnt work, and neither did his power steering...which OF COURSE he would lose his power steering and brakes, because THE CAR IS OFF. so he was able to start it back up, with no problems, and continues to drive as if nothing ever happend. then later that day, at some point, it stalled on him again.

now he wants to know if we have anwers.

i could be wrong...but thats basically how i just read it (what op wrote).

Users who are viewing this thread