So Dale Earnhardt's death crash...

o2k

Noob
Established Member
Never was a fan of NASCAR. But as a kid I knew him from the soda (can't remember the company) commercials. When I heard about his death it still made me quite sad.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

MNCobra

Established Member
RIP...that was one of th few races i have seen...but i think his death changed a lot of safety equipment in NASCAR for the better....

Larry03GT

Established Member
I heard it was his chin... pushed his jaw bone back and broke the base of his spine

He died from spinal separation. His head was forced forward when his body was held in place from the belts. This is why the Hans device is mandatory in all professional road racing now. and when this happens the head is just hanging on the side of the body and it's most likly what Kenny saw and freaked out.

Last edited:

96 cobra

Established Member
The numerous drivers who've died over the years from basilar skull fractures (inc. Earnhardt), spurred on the use of the HANS device in motorsports.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
He was the man. I used to love watching him race. Stand up guy and his interviews were always entertaining too.

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
I thought it looked pretty bad. The pass side front of the car was crushed to the firewall. Behind the firewall the car is designed not to bend. The crashes where the car is flipping look worse but the car is absorbing the energy from the crash a lot better than these straight on wall shots. The safer barriers have helped a great deal along with the hans device but nothings fullproof.

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
Sad day. I remember watching the race as if it was yesterday.

Robert Francis

Established Member
I recall listening to the race on the radio andI recall hearing Darrel Waltrip saying that Earnhardt hit the wall really hard. But it was shock when not long afterwards they announced that Earnhardt was dead from the crash and that he had died from a broken neck.

DRAGUL

Established Member
From what I have heard Earnhardt was against the Hans device and it would have saved his life if he had been wearing it.

scn

Established Member
From what I have heard Earnhardt was against the Hans device and it would have saved his life if he had been wearing it.

He was an old school racer who liked to be able to turn his head and not rely on spotters so much. Just what he grew up doing.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
He still wore an open faced helmet and referred to the hans as a "noose."

Bad things have to happen before things change. If you havent yet, watch SENNA.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Never been a fan of nascar but talk about dying like a champion and a hero.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
I was never a fan of Dale, in fact I hated him, but knew he was the best driver there ever was. I was so sad the day that happened; NASCAR racing was much better when he was running. I also think that's why Junior ended up being such a lame duck; if his father was still alive he'd be much more successful IMO.

snaked

Attractive Member
Established Member
I just seen them pics of the steering wheel now. That's some gore there, straight down on the floor you can see more, and it splattered to the roll bar to the right. It was probably a pretty gruesome sight that Schrader seen.

My dad was a huge Earnhardt fan, he was shocked. I remember that race too, even though I was, what, 9? Lol

Users who are viewing this thread