So Dale Earnhardt's death crash...

Kiohtee

Established Member
Undoubtedly you've seen Earnhardt's death crash. I'm wondering what exactly you think Ken Schrader seen right before this photo was taken (when he approached Earnhardt's car and started frantically waving for emergency personnel)?

His injuries included a fatal basilar skull fracture, eight broken left ribs, a broken left ankle, a sternal fracture, and abrasions in the clavicle and hip areas (according to this Wikipedia article).

I've found some NWS and possibly SVTP-inappropriate pictures from the interior of his car, and they're pretty gruesome, but I don't know 100% that they're real (although hit points and the whatnot add up).

So, what says you? Do you think it was, er, messy?

7.62x51

Established Member
Schrader once said in a (recent) interview that he was certain that Earnhardt was dead by the time he saw him in the car, he just never admitted that until later on.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Schrader once said in a (recent) interview that he was certain that Earnhardt was dead by the time he saw him in the car, he just never admitted that until later on.

I didn't think Schrader ever talked about that incident, at least not publicly. :shrug:

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
i didnt think there would be that much blood.

funny note. on the day he died, i was still an LEO. average domestic calls on any given day 3-5. on that day over 300 in 5 hours.

rednecks were beating the absolute shit out of their women. one of the craziest days i have ever seen.

a woman laid me out with a cast iron skillet. thanks Dale.

7.62x51

Established Member

Kiohtee

Established Member
Best part is you made a NASCAR thread followed by this..

Thank you sir.. Thank you.

That was actually on purpose (was just reading through that SD thread), but I didn't know how many if any would get it.

But you seen what I did there.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
If the pictures you're referring to are the ones all over the Internet that show a small amount of blood on the steering wheel and what not, I don't really think they're too SVT-inappropriate.

Kiohtee

Established Member
If the pictures you're referring to are the ones all over the Internet that show a small amount of blood on the steering wheel and what not, I don't really think they're too SVT-inappropriate.

Yeah, those are it. But since there is a good amount of blood I'd rather not chance it myself. :)

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Dale Earnhardt was over rated and sucked.

J/K

Juiced 66

Established Member
I doubt it was too messy. I've seen a lot of bad wrecks, most of the time even if someone dies it's not crazy messy, and since he was wearing safety equipment I would think that helped keep it from being crazy messy. Anything is possible though I guess.

oneslo5.0

Established Member
I heard that he had a habit of loosening his belts in a race, some have said that was a big cause.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My husband and I were watching it live on TV. I couldn't believe he was dead. So unreal.

Yeah, my wife and I were watching it live as well. I remember the look on Darrell Waltrip's face and the eerie sense that something very bad happened to Dale. Sad day.

shb5007

Established Member
His head (open face helmet) slammed into the steering wheel...it wasn't pretty...he died instantly.

Users who are viewing this thread