So are there any fast contours on here or what?

applesauced226

whats going on guys?? i know i know whos this guy right?? im a nub, but hey we re all csvt bros, right? RIGHT! anyway the real reason why im postiong somthing is wher to start?? bang for buck under $500 im thinking build my own intke and exhuast underdrivepulleys short throw and maybe suspension, give me brands and places that work thanks ur the best , kyle

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
SpookSVT said:
If demon would spray even in a 50 shot in third gear to the finish I'd confidently bet he'd hit 12's on a good day. But then again he's not into the whole drag racing thing w/ this car and god forbid he use any form of FI on this car either. :rollseyes
Hey, I think nitrous is the biggest bang for the buck alive. I would love to have another chunk of HP to run with at the track. However my beef is it's very temporary power any where but the 1/4 mile.

My original plan was to turbo my car long before now. The thing is once I did the 3L the power was already above what this platform can handle. I can't say that it wouldn't be great to have more top end power. However there are trade offs. More chassis weight and worse traction problems in the first 3 gears. Both of those can make you a bit slower where I do the most of my driving; 40-70mph.

If I did end up adding F/I it would likely be a supercharger at this point. It's linear power made mainly above 4500 rpm. A turbos biggest advantage is mid range and lower torque. Unfortunately on our platform that is wasted effort. Personally I'd love to put a turbo'd or Roots S/C'd 3L in a RWD car and watch all hell break loose but not in this platform. Though there are definitely times I do envy the few people that have that power. :D

ClOckwOrk

Established Member
i hear you demon, but at the same time theres gotta be some good aftermarket (tunable, as in remote reservoir gas charged or ? shocks) suspension, good differentials, beefy CV's, and tough tranny upgrades that we can put in these things to make them go. everyone is telling me i cant do what i want to do. i am not saying i cant but im saying the motor isnt going to be a problem, i already got that covered. i just need to get power to the ground. as of right now stock the thing doesnt hook. i guess ill have to see how it works with stiffer springs and drag radials

Y2KSVT

Established Member
Clockwork,
Have you been to www.contour.org? You should seriously consider taking a look. The best options so far for hooking up are:

Quaife or Torsen LSD - ($500-$600)
Polyurethane filled roll resistors(front and rear) - There is a guy that sells these over on that site, just take a look in the Group Buy section under P.R.T. motor mounts, or something like that.
Koni struts - Fully adjustable, and have helped me with traction.(~$500)
Sticky ass tires of your choice - I'm an extremely aggressive driver, and have been to the track quite a few times with my setup. The best 60' time I've mustered is a 2.13 on street tires. Honestly, I've seen 1 person beat that on street tires, and a couple people have pulled 2.0's with drag radials.
Driver - the biggest factor in launching. I've got it down to a consecutive 2.2 launch with 2.1's mixed in.

I've got all of the above, other than the P.R.T. Mounts. I've just got the Energy Suspension mounts for the one roll resistor. If I get those mounts, and some DR's, I might be able to pull a 1.9 60'.

Mark

SpookSVT

Established Member
Even w/ the centri blower, the car is vey low on TQ. I like my engines Torquey

Clockwork: The car is still FWD. You need some really stiff springs and struts in the rear to handle the weight transfer.

I hear you Demon, I had some big plans as well and If I wasn't still in school I'd seriously consider a RWD conversion as I have the tools and resources. I just don't have the time or money.

I had TH pile on the goods for the tranny and I have a spec 3 for later FI which I'm still not sure about. I'm doing another build this summer, get it running good and probably sell the car for a mustang to go to town drag racing. Granted this car is just so nice in the twisties but drag racing was my first passion.

I almost regret getting this car at times but I'm still young and learned a hell of alot about many different aspects of what goes into engine design, suspension, turbos, etc... from guys like you Demon, warmonger, and many others on CEG. This car is a burden and a saint to me at the same time. I don't know where I'd be w/ out it for sure.

Just food for thought for people looking for big power, it's very obtainable but will cost you alot just to put it down.

Damned FWD :bash:

Last edited:

SpookSVT

Established Member
If I were going turbo I'd go w/ a built 2.5L like suneil had. Much less TQ than that of a 3L in the low revs but man did that thing scream up top, especially w/ the SVT cams holding the TQ so far out.

Instead of the .63 A/R 57 Trim suneil had I wouldve gone w/ a larger .70 or .82 A/R turbine to have it kick in more up top. Maybe even a 60 Trim compressor if you wanna get real crazy. Lighten the crank and flywheel up some and take her out to 7200RPM. Keeping everthing in the high end to be more tractable. Get some Koni's, boxed control arms w/ custom urethane bushings, gusset the front subframe and reinforce the mounts, etc... I'd think that be a hell of a nice car all around.

Demon: I'd like to see you do a passenger side centri like shagmonkey did to his cougar on NECO. The SVT cams are absolutely perfect for a centri. I could only imagine the possibilities.

Swazo

Established Member
At my currant boost levels and a decent break in tune, I am wondering how much higher I really want to go. I already have 262 pounds of torque, I can only imagine tripling or quadrupling my boost with my final tune like planned!. Once at full boost in my 2nd-3rd shift, I am pushing what my Contour can hold :eek:

Steeltwo

Established Member
ClOckwOrk said:
awd GSX whoopdee shat man you are like everyone else. you put 300+ whp at that gsx you might skrew somethign up too. either way im not here to argue with you guys. you will all see. oh yeah and you would put 2k into your GSX probably so it could just crank walk and you'd have to rebuild it. /meh
as I have a 1st gen that is a 6 bolt engine that doesn't crankwalk, I guess your wrong.

it is going to be entertaining to meet you this summer at the rock.

Steeltwo

Established Member
ClOckwOrk said:
oh yeah and svt's run a 15.2 stock so yeah you would be putting 3 grand into what, the stereo??

why did you ask this question?

are you trying to be.....odd?

SpookSVT

Established Member
Swazo said:
At my currant boost levels and a decent break in tune, I am wondering how much higher I really want to go. I already have 262 pounds of torque, I can only imagine tripling or quadrupling my boost with my final tune like planned!. Once at full boost in my 2nd-3rd shift, I am pushing what my Contour can hold :eek:

What are the specs on your setup? Do you have a 3L? Where is your peak TQ at? What suspension mods do you have done?

Is the car nothing but wheelspin or is there alot of hop?

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
ClOckwOrk said:
i wouldnt line a contour up next to your cobra unless it was in a parking lot lol......

wanna run my sled?

No use for a sled down here. Just keeping the thread going, it's nice to see some action in the tour area. :rockon:

ClOckwOrk

Established Member
well the fact taht a guy with a cobra, lightning, and tour wants to line up next to me im guessing he wouldnt bring his contour to race me. people on this site only race what they can beat. yeah his cobras gonna smoke me, why would i race him. just making a point. and whatever your name was from wisconsin you should come out to MN this summer and come hang around porky's etc. its a fun time.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
The Cobra's pretty quick, the Tour and L are turds for now. The Tour will most likely remain slow as I DD it. I'm looking at Heads, 5.0 roller, 1.7rockers, and a powerdyne for the L too atleast run some low 13's. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread