Snow Blower Help....

SRT-4 Turbo 7

Established Member
Well after the beating we took last winter in NJ, I have decided that I no longer want to shovel. Time to invest in a quality snow blower.

Here is what I have been looking at:

1. Husqvarna 1827 EXLT $1,900
385cad06.jpg

2. Husqvarna 1830 EXL $1,800
384a8e35.jpg

3. Toro Power Max 826 OXE $1,400
Power-Max-826-OXE-38624Wco2367_sn_pwrmx_826OXE_38624W_r.jpg

4. Toro Power Max 1028 OXE $1,799
Power-Max-1028-OXE-38663CO2436_sn_pwrmx_1028_OXE_38663_r.jpg

5. Snapper M1529E $1,149.99
product_6827_500.jpg

6. Simplicity P1524E Signature Pro Series $1,799.99
product_6841_500.jpg

7. Ariens Deluxe Track ST28LET$1,699.99
product_4919_500.jpg

I took the time to go and look at all of these snow blowers, read literature on each and every one of them. They all have their ups and downs.

I like the Hsqvarana Track model unit. Like how it has 3 different positions you can put the machine in to tilt it depending on the conditions, plus the superior traction and a very powerful 415cc snow king motor. The Simplicity unit looks very heavy duty, I like the position of the handles best, but is very expensive for only a 24" path. Toro's don't use sheer pins, which I like and I have always had good luck with Briggs and Straton motors.

I only want to buy one and be done with it. I do my driveway which is a 3 car driveway, my neighbors which is a 40 degree incline and a 4 car driveway and my other neighbors which is a 6 car driveway.

Thanks for the help SVTP and sorry for the long post.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have had my Ariens (not the model above), which I absolutely love, for about 7 years. It will handle pretty much any amount of snow. Do you know how effective the track versions compare to the regular tire driven type? Is the traction very much improved?

I don't know anything about the Husqvarna products but that Husqvarna 1827 EXLT above sure looks sweet. Definitely one I'd be looking at.

SRT-4 Turbo 7

Established Member
I have had my Ariens (not the model above), which I absolutely love, for about 7 years. It will handle pretty much any amount of snow. Do you know how effective the track versions compare to the regular tire driven type? Is the traction very much improved?

I don't know anything about the Husqvarna products but that Husqvarna 1827 EXLT above sure looks sweet. Definitely one I'd be looking at.

Thanks for your input Sir. The Husqvarna 1827 EXLT is my number 1 choice, but also the most expensive. I had an opportunity to use a Honda Track Model last winter. Definitely helps with gravel driveways and steep inclines. What I like so much about the Husqvarna is that there are 3 different positions that you can put the machine in. For example if the snow is compacted down or if there is ice you can tilt the machine downwards to scrape and the tracks just power through. Hard to explain but the feature is bada**. No wheeled machine offers this feature. Power steering and heated handgrips are a nice feature too.

wrksnfx

FordTrucksDaRestJustSuck
Established Member
Thanks for your input Sir. The Husqvarna 1827 EXLT is my number 1 choice, but also the most expensive. I had an opportunity to use a Honda Track Model last winter. Definitely helps with gravel driveways and steep inclines. What I like so much about the Husqvarna is that there are 3 different positions that you can put the machine in. For example if the snow is compacted down or if there is ice you can tilt the machine downwards to scrape and the tracks just power through. Hard to explain but the feature is bada**. No wheeled machine offers this feature. Power steering and heated handgrips are a nice feature too.
Husqvarna is bar none just the best and I believe that it's the top brand out there.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
just make sure you get something bigger than you think you need, its the massive snow storms where you really need it. I think mine is 30 inches across or 36 and does well and I even have a big ass hill I have to go up and it does fine. I am not sure I like the idea of tracks, I always am the type of person who likest o keep things simple and if a tire blows I can go to any HD or Lowes and get a replacement.

byeofcr

Established Member
i got an MTD back in 07 with a 8hp tecumseh engine..thing runs strong year after year and got thru everything i threw at it.. fairly cheap too. i did break one auger belt but i think that was me being greedy and trying to bust up a snowpile thatd been iced over in front of my house lol

tdschst

Established Member
We have a big toro like the ones posted above at our cottage. Not sure of the model or size, we've had it a few years too. Never had a problem with Michigan snow, can't ever really recall the tires spinning either, thing is HEAVY

SRT-4 Turbo 7

Established Member
We have a big toro like the ones posted above at our cottage. Not sure of the model or size, we've had it a few years too. Never had a problem with Michigan snow, can't ever really recall the tires spinning either, thing is HEAVY

Toro has a great warranty and IMO has the simpliest controls to use. Definitely not an easy decision.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Then that is the one I'd pick. It looks like the ultimate snow blower. Seems to be definitely worth the additional couple of hundred dollars. Remember that the first heavy snow will likely either make you wish you bought "the other one", or you'll be so happy that you bought the one you did.

As far as Toro, I've had two of their products over the years and was not impressed. For one, the snow chute would clog too easily. Unless their quality and performance has increased, I honestly wouldn't buy one. I'd rather pay a bit extra for the best. Because when you wanting to get rid of heavy snow as quickly and as easily as possible, only the best will do. I would only buy a lesser cost/lesser rated machine if my budget was really tight. JMO though.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
The first one looks Boss.

Just remember, when these get clogged up you need to run it all full throttle and take you hands and rake out the snow very quickly to get it working again.

03LCalgaryAB

Established Member
The first one looks Boss.

Just remember, when these get clogged up you need to run it all full throttle and take you hands and rake out the snow very quickly to get it working again.

haha. Do it without gloves though, last thing you want is for it to catch your mitts.

No Honda on the list? The tracks look sick..lol..so i'd go with that

Users who are viewing this thread