Snapped Halfshaft...

Jmurrz

Established Member
Hi guys, I am trying to figure out what to do now that I broke my driver's side half shaft. Strange part is that it broke near the hub, not the diff side. I am wondering what you guys are doing about replacements.

I know I have seen a few people use the DSS Pro's and they say that those are the only upgraded shafts worth doing, but I don't know if I can justify spending 2k on them.

With 600+ HP I am not really sure if another stocker will cut it. I know most of the time the suspension is the reason that half shafts break, but I have no wheel hop, and the car has every rear end upgrade except for control arm bushings. Everything else is upgraded.

If it makes any difference I have an Eaton Trutrac, I would assume that now the power will hit the shaft harder than the stocker, so I would love to know what you guys think.

....and no, I don't want to solid swap it at this time.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
pretty sure most of them snap at the hub, not at the diff side. +1, just go stock

edit: if you broke it at the track, bias ply slicks will reduce your chances of breaking one there again

Last edited:

Jmurrz

Established Member
pretty sure most of them snap at the hub, not at the diff side. +1, just go stock

edit: if you broke it at the track, bias ply slicks will reduce your chances of breaking one there again

I was using a bias ply slick. MT et Street's. They were aired down to about 12PSI so the sidewall should have had plenty of wrinkle to absorb the shock. I don't think the car moved 3 feet off the launch. I dumped the clutch @3k off the 2-step.

Thanks for the replies, seems like I may be leaning towards the stockers from FTBR.

BoostedByV

No Fly By ZONE
Established Member
Can you list everything done to your IRS please

I have everything Full Tilt boogie and I just installed my made in Taiwan TrueTrac . :poke:

SYMach1

IRS FTW!
Established Member
No one has broke the pro level half shafts yet fyi, level 5s have broken lots of times. I have about 50-75 passes on my stockers no issues, broke one at nmra event in may for the first time lol, i put another stocker in for now, as i plan to put pro level ones this winter, Im leaving at 4500-5000 rpms on clutch dumps

bubblehead93

Established Member
I have had them break to both the hub and diff side, more at the diff side though... really equal opportunity in my experience...

r/
Andy

Jmurrz

Established Member
Can you list everything done to your IRS please

I have everything Full Tilt boogie and I just installed my made in Taiwan TrueTrac . :poke:

FTBR front aluminum and rear delrin diff mount bushings, MM Urethane sub-frame bushings, FTBR Upgraded 9/16 front subframe bolts, Ford Racing diff cover, H&R Race Springs, 3.73's, Truetrac. The only things I need are toe links and control arm bushings to be complete.

I was turned off by the big "Made In Taiwan" on it too, but it makes no noise, is smooth, handles much better than the factory unit, and seems to be pretty strong. The run before I broke, I launched at a 4000 RPM clutch dump and it held up with no issues.

Jmurrz

Established Member
Sounds like I will be going with a stocker, the more I read, the more people seem to say they are just as good as aftermarket (With the exception of the Dss Pro's that is).

The way I am looking at it, I may as well do the rest of the bushings and get another stock unit.

Thanks for the input guys!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread