SN 95 Cobra 96-98 sub frame connector experience / suggestions

Spiney

Established Member
I've been collecting parts for about 2.5 months in order to lower my car and beef up the suspension. My goal is get rid of 4x4 look, better handling, without too stiff a ride.

So far I bought rear Bilstein HD shocks 5K miles at a swap meet. Clean used MM caster camber plates, Low mileage H&R sport springs, finally found low mile Bilstein HD Struts. I have a lead on Steeda rear LCA non adjustable. I need to buy Bilstein strut boots, F&R isolators, and finally the sub frame connectors. Definitely weld in. Leaning toward Maximum Motorsports full length.

It appears most if not all sub frame connectors need the transmission mts notched on a 96-98 cobra. Is this a big deal?

Any other suggestions. Are AM's SR full length for $95 good?

Car is not a DD and won't be regularly dragged. I'm looking for more a sports car feel.

Thanks, Spiney-Dave

deadernie

is my name
Established Member
My car is lowered and I went with the Kenny Brown system with the matrix braces and jacking rails. The jacking rails are a nice thing to have.

Tickle

Established Member
I have mm full length and I like the ride, a must for my convertible. I did have to notch the crossmember but it's not that big of a deal.

redrocket16

Established Member
^That's what I'll be going with, the Kenny Brown system is awesome

The actual subframe connectors in their kit is a bit lacking to me, so I am going with the MM subframe connectors and then adding the Kenny Brown matrix and jacking rails to the setup :banana:

CobraHuck

Established Member
How so? Haven't really looked into it too much yet (SFCs won't happen till next spring probably), just curious. Are the MMs beefier?

redrocket16

Established Member
How so? Haven't really looked into it too much yet (SFCs won't happen till next spring probably), just curious. Are the MMs beefier?

The supersub Kenny Brown's look to me exactly like the regular Maximum Motorsports and the full length pieces connect from the firewall to the rear frame support I believe. I had the MM on my previous GT and they were awesome, I am looking to add the complete matrix for a little bit more firmness and connect the jacking rails and form my own mixed matrix setup.

Also the weight difference between the MM parts and KB parts when shipped to me were quite a bit different in the favor of MM.

CobraHuck

Established Member
Ah ok. Good to know, I might try something similar whenever the time comes, definitely want the system as beefy as possible

CJK440

Established Member
I like the Steeda FLSFC's on my car. I like the one piece seat bracket support and the torque box plate that spreads the load across the rear of the frame.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
What exactly needs to be done to the transmission crossmember? I've seen people say they need to be notched as well as just flattened out. But there are two bolts as well? I went to get them welded on and the shop wanted to charge an outrages amount because they said they needed to cut the crossmember and reweld it? So I went to the shop and they had my car on a body lift rather than a drive on lift....

CobraHuck

Established Member
What exactly needs to be done to the transmission crossmember? I've seen people say they need to be notched as well as just flattened out. But there are two bolts as well? I went to get them welded on and the shop wanted to charge an outrages amount because they said they needed to cut the crossmember and reweld it? So I went to the shop and they had my car on a body lift rather than a drive on lift....

I'm not sure what all is involved with the crossmember, but I would definitely find another shop if they don't know that it's GOT to be on a drive one lift to put SFCs in :nonono:

Tickle

Established Member
The install instructions for my mm flsfcs recommended that the area that is notched be welded. There weren't any bolts involved. Drive on lift is a must. Also, be prepared to bend them, mine did not fit out if the box.

I recommend talking to the installer beforehand and make sure he is okay with you being there to go through it all. I actually helped him with it and it still took 2 almost 3 hours to do it right. Fuel lines on the ps were in the way for a couple of welds up front.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
I'm not sure what all is involved with the crossmember, but I would definitely find another shop if they don't know that it's GOT to be on a drive one lift to put SFCs in :nonono:
That sad part is the nearest mustang shop is 2.5 hours away. That's why I haven't tried getting it done. And I couldn't believe it when it was on a body lift :dw: and to think that they work on performance cars there! The owners each have terminators and foxes.

The install instructions for my mm flsfcs recommended that the area that is notched be welded. There weren't any bolts involved. Drive on lift is a must. Also, be prepared to bend them, mine did not fit out if the box.

I recommend talking to the installer beforehand and make sure he is okay with you being there to go through it all. I actually helped him with it and it still took 2 almost 3 hours to do it right. Fuel lines on the ps were in the way for a couple of welds up front.
Hmm I need to find my instructions. Because there are two bolts holding the crossmember to the "frame rails." Yeah I know it should be a drive on lift that's why I took my car from them. Sad part is they own nothing but mustangs smh. Yeah I've seen pics of them installed and they all look like they've been bent a bit.

Yeah, that is what I'll have to do. But no other shops around besides AMP, which is the worst shop in the state by far. Thanks for the heads up on the fuel lines.

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
My black 97 came with all the kenny brown stuff on it (sfc, matrix brace, jacking rails, kmember brace) no complaint about the way it works.

Our white 97 had none, we found a deal on upr full length sfc, cut them to fit trans crossmember and they are fine too. They come with torque box reinforcements as well, but we did not use them, it would be a pain to install them.

mustang3X

Established Member
Global West's round tube connectors don't require any crossmember modification.

And are superior in this application because they are round.

But then again all those square tube roll cages can't be wrong.

The only reason people make square tube sfc is ease of manufacturing and cost.

Spiney

Established Member
Thanks, first time I saw these. Some reason I'm not getting notice of replies. I was ready to order MM today, but I'll look into Global West. Never heard of them.

Users who are viewing this thread