Smoking Brakes

GordsFord

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Darin, are the Performance Friction 83's suitable for the street also?

Who makes an inexpensive brake duct kit.

Thanks for your previous posts and insiight!!

Gord

03'Darin

Established Member
Darwin......the great philosipher here...uhhh...I mean Darin the not so great philosipher here.

I have never run the 83's on the street but can give you some info on what to expect if you do.
-intermediate affectiveness at lower temps.
-DUST....the harder you run em' the dustier they get.
-very rotor friendly.
-very affective as temps rise.

I am still looking for an inexpensive brake duct. I had found a really nice kit made by Mirage Motorsports. But in an earlier post about brakes and ducts Brian replied he thought they had gone out of business and from my attempts to find them I think he is correct.

Your quite welcome!!

Darin

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Sorry Darin. Im sure ur as bright as ( Darwin ) was.
Cobra-R thanks for the link.

So whats the difference between Cross Rotors & Slotted Rotors & which is best to get?

J/K..... :) Its a trip on the site. Thanks :)

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Got brakes? :D

Img_2717.jpg

As taken from '03 Cobra Flogging article

Cobra-R

Established Member
Go bed in a set of brake pads at night, you will get a very bright display from under your car. Kinda scarry until I realized what was actually happening.

Poisonous Mods
Slotted rotors:
FS00017_big.jpg

cross drilled rotors:
FD00011_big.jpg

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
Cobra-R...thanks for the pic's....i was J/K :)
What is bed or bedding?

Good Information here on bedding the pads and if you change rotors then you will need to season them properly. There are different bedding/seasoning routines for street and race applications.

Street Pad Bedding

Street Rotor Seasoning

I run the Baer Pro Plus Claw system on the street and at the track. I am however looking to upgrade my Alcon four piston calipers to six piston units right now in anticipation of few more track events with this car. I will also buy another set of rotors for track use only if this increase occurs and they will be a solid/vented design.

I have never had an issue at the track with the Baer two piece cross-drilled/slotted rotors on the Mustang or M3. However, I only do a few events each year at most so this will have some bearing on their lifespan. I would not use this design if I were doing 10 or more track events a year.

I would go with a solid vented rotor or solid slotted/vented rotor application unless you plus size the rotor when using a cross drilled due to the loss of surface area. The cross-drilled rotors are great bling bling on the street (plus one system offers very good performance also) but only buy these type of rotors from a top quality supplier. I have seen some of the magazine special cross drilled rotors crack in six months with just normal street driving.

The stock braking system on the Cobra is very good. My first suggestion is to change the front pads and install a set of SS lines along with high quality fluid. This will make a significant difference in these brakes.

I run Porterfield R4-S pads on the street and they work very well for autocross and occasional track events. I also have used the Hawk HPS and Peformance Friction Z pads with this car. I think the PFC Z series is an excellent street pad and the warranty is a plus after a few autocross events. ;-) At the last track event I ran the SBS Pro Race pads with very good results.

Everyone has a favorite pad/rotor/caliper and it just takes some experimentation to find the one that works best for you and the car. I would read and study all of the sites on this subject before upgrading. If you like the bling bling factor and will not be racing the vehicle on a regular basis then the Baer Eradispeed Plus One system is a great upgrade if you go that direction.

:D

good sales information- Baer Link

also look for information regarding the Brembo, StopTech, and Bendix brake systems for our cars. Any of these suppliers offer very good upgrades to our cars along with others.

Users who are viewing this thread