Smoke on start up oil or gas?

SpectorV

Established Member
Sometimes when I start my car it puffs a bit. Generally I believe its due to oil leaking on the weak valve seals etc. It seems to do it worse if I crank it just for a sec then come back and crank it in again in the next bit~ so that might lead me to believe its gas related~

It is tuned and I was just wondering if it could be to rich on start up~

the color is gray not blue~

any input would be appreciated! it doesnt do it every time it seems either.

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
I would suspect condensation or coolant with gray smoke, any change in coolant levels?

fuel --> tends to be blackish like a rich condition
oil --> blue as you mentioned possibly rings/valve seals/guides

Last edited:

gabe1530

Banned
Same thing is happening to mine on startup. Same grey smoke and there arent any drops in coolant. Compression is good as well. It could be condensation as it started when I switched to longtubes.

SpectorV

Established Member
thanks for the info, I will check coolant levels but I believe they are fine~ always worth a double check.

SpectorV

Established Member
checked coolant, level is perfect no sign of any missing or low in overflow tank.

I can start it, does normal. Stop it wait a sec start it and I get a puff as well.

SpectorV

Established Member
jacking the car up the other day (jacked the front up) I saw a few drips of water start to come out around where the borla CatBack bolts up to the stock H pipe. The water was clear, not coolant. What would cause this?

SpectorV

Established Member
would said condensation blow out the back on start up as smoke etc? or would it have to be something else? is it normal to have that or is it a sign of something going bad?

thanks for the input!

Users who are viewing this thread