Smallest pulley W/O idler??

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
I know, I've been a member here long enough to know, but I really try to stay away from reading the pulley threads. It's too tempting! So, I'm just asking "for a friend". What is the smallest pulley you can run and be confident of no belt slip or minimal belt slip WITHOUT running an idler?

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Most 2.90 ultra grips can be used with no idler. Some fellas use the 2.80's with no idlers and no belt slip.

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
I was told i could go with a Reichard Racing 2.75, no idler and i wouldn't get any belt slip......anyone explain why i was told this?

IronTerp

Wow, 2.75 RR, even with a Gates would be pushing it......That's spinning that sucker pretty fast. May get away with it....may not.

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Yea i was told by 2 people it was fine and they both had the same setup, no slip.
The crazy thing is when i was buying this i started to buy an idler, the seller told me not to, it wasn't needed and i was wasting money, seems odd he tells me not to buy something when the $$$ was going in his pocket?!?!

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Now that i think about let me ask this....is the 2.75 to much, i was told it would be good for about 14psi....pretty much the same as a 2.8????

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
2.75 without idler = nfg

Most people can run a 2.9 without an idler.

Most people CAN NOT run a 2.80 without idler.

I SERIOUSLY DOUBT you can run a 2.75 without idler.

TRDNiteLife

UVBNBIT
Established Member
I am one of the few that runs a 2.80" using a Gates belt with no noticeable beltslip.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
I don't see the reason not to get idlers. Is it the money? Is it losing the stock pulley cover? WTF is it. I could not wait to toss that stamped sheetmetal pos.

It will give you piece of mind knowing that you are not chewing through a belt while romping around town.

I was present at a dyno pull on an 03 with a 3.4 with no chip. Car pulled 427 RWHP, don't remember TQ. Next pull Doug from Billetflow added an idler. The car made 434 RWHP. That was a SFPH hub setup and the Billetflow idler bracket. I figured that a pulley that big benefitted so my 2.76 would too. All pulleys slip, only way to reduce it is to increase wrap.

Orange Poison

Established Member
I don't know....I guess I'm the only one that likes the stock...sleeper look.....I prefer the pulley guard on.

I plan on running the 2.93 L pulley with a gatorback.

Greg Anderson

Established Member
no idler here with a 2.80. I did a before and after on the dyno with a 2.93 upper and a 6lb lower and it added 1 hp. So I sold it. figured I could find other ways to gain 1hp for $150. I say save your money.

IronTerp

Originally posted by Blue Poison
I don't know....I guess I'm the only one that likes the stock...sleeper look.....I prefer the pulley guard on.
No...you're not the only one! I prefer it too....it matches the color of my car.

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Ok this is getting weird.....
I bought my RR 2.75 pully from Tommy Lighting, i told him to go ahead and send me a idler and he asked why....he said he was running the 2.75 with no idler and no belt slip, he went on to tell me that a 2.75 and an idler cause it to eat the belt up but without it didn't.
Tommy seems to be a great guy and gave me a great deal on my setup but now i'm wondering should i have listened and went with the 2.75.
So should i call him and change to a 2.8/2.9 or should i just order an idler pully?

TRBO VNM

I assume everyone is talking about the aux idler right? Not just changing the tensioner pulley?

If you change just the tensioner pulley, do you have to remove the pulley guard? Stupid question I know, but I haven't looked close enough yet to see if it would cause a conflict. My guard is painted the same as the car and would like to keep it as long as possible. I am going to try the 2.80RR pulley with a gates belt and no idler.

however, if you can increase the tensioner pulley and keep the guard, why not just do that?

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
Originally posted by postban
I don't see the reason not to get idlers. Is it the money? Is it losing the stock pulley cover? WTF is it. I could not wait to toss that stamped sheetmetal pos.

It will give you piece of mind knowing that you are not chewing through a belt while romping around town.

I was present at a dyno pull on an 03 with a 3.4 with no chip. Car pulled 427 RWHP, don't remember TQ. Next pull Doug from Billetflow added an idler. The car made 434 RWHP. That was a SFPH hub setup and the Billetflow idler bracket. I figured that a pulley that big benefitted so my 2.76 would too. All pulleys slip, only way to reduce it is to increase wrap.

It's not a money issue. I like the way my car looks under the hood the way it is. I'd like to keep my pulley guard on.

dsc01351.jpg

04-MystiChrome

One Fast Grand-PaPi
Established Member
Originally posted by Torch Red 10th
It's not a money issue. I like the way my car looks under the hood the way it is. I'd like to keep my pulley guard on.

Yep-Me Too...
Also the Belt Guard is there for a reason.
If a pulley should leave the shaft or a belt
should break at high RPM, as both HAVE
happened to others, I won't have to replace
any parts of my hood or possible other engine
damage by a flying pulley.

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
I have the one smaller than the 2.80. 2.76? Anyway- its a Metco Interchangable Upper Pulley (w/ grooves for more grip).

Running it with no idlers, and no belt slip.

IronTerp

Originally posted by Torch Red 10th
Torch,

That's a great looking pulley cover!!!

Users who are viewing this thread