Small Oil Leak Help

sassafras

Established Member
I've been noticing about a drop of oil a day on my garage floor and I need help pinpointing where it could be coming from. Below you'll see a picture taken from underneath the car on the front drivers side, you see the alternator to the left and the oil filter to the right to help get your bearings correct.

The bolt with the faint red circle and X is the highest I can find oil seeping out. It accumulates on the bottom of this bolt and drips. The oil cooler and the threaded rod inside of the oil cooler are both tight. The valve cover on that side is also clean and free oil. Anyone have suggestions on to what might be causing the leak?

2rw0uu1.jpg

sassafras

Established Member
A couple more notes. The car has been sitting for two months now with the front angled up on jack stands. Could oil really be up that high in the engine when it's been sitting for such a long time?

I changed the oil two weeks ago and there was no sign of milkshake. Checked the coolant today and no signs of milkshake, does that rule out a headgasket?

JAYSVT06

Established Member
any updates on this? i have the exact same oil leak! from taht bolt as well, is the oil cooler attacched to this?

TRBO VNM

No, putting RTV over it won't do a thing. I am just mentioning that is more than likely the leak, but may not be. clean up everything really good and then drive it once and then check it again and see if you can pinpoint it better

rondog622

Established Member
I have the same leak. I have yet to figure it out. Mine is coating my steering rack. Not getting on the floor much
Ron

JAYSVT06

Established Member
I have the same leak. I have yet to figure it out. Mine is coating my steering rack. Not getting on the floor much
Ron

Thats what mine does, when starts up n gets hot sum of it burns off, neva drips on the ground just down onto steering rack

rondog622

Established Member
Yeah everytime i get under there i simple green it. Then hose it. It cleans up nice. I just cant track it. Im tempted to bring it to tasca ford in rhode island simce they specialize in the svt cars

ian04

Established Member
i have that same leak out of that bolt too thats the highest point i can track it to its weird and is driven me crazy lets figure it out

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I had the same leak. It was the timing cover in my case.... I ended up powder coating everything while it was apart!

JAYSVT06

Established Member
What is this bolt to? Alternator bracket?? Does it thread all way inside engine? Prob a dumb question...
I was hopin it was the oil filter cooler, i have one of those gaskets n sumhow the air drew it up to there or sumthen...

SVT_Troy

Established Member
My leak was on the timing cover allowing oil to leak and run off that bolt... The oil cooler is either going to leak from the small weep hole or the mounting base itself

IMG_2090.jpg

Warrior627

Established Member
I have the same exact oil leak as SVT Troy, just bought my Cobra and started looking to see if anyone else had this problem when I saw Troy's pic a while back in a different thread, thought I was looking at my engine in his pic. Troy did the timing case cover gasket fix your leak? Before I replace mine I'm going to drive the Cobra and see if it seals up (wishful thinking) as the original owner only put 38 miles on it last year, car only has 16,500 miles now. BTW I love SVTP - by far the best Cobra/Terminator information on the net!

Edit: Sry Troy, just re-read your post. It did solve your oil leak. Ty.

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I have only started my car once but if I sealed it correctly it shouldn't leak. When I pulled my timing cover off I could tell that it was indeed the cover's gasket that was leaking. I had cleaned it up and started it a bunch and I would always drip from that bolt. The only other thing I could have leaking is the oil filter base gasket

ian04

Established Member
damn i really hope it isnt a timming cover leak that would suck my car only has 22k on it i dont wana tear all that shit apart for that but it makes sense why it would leak there and we arnt alone so im sayen thats the problem damn

hotcobra03

Established Member
damn i really hope it isnt a timming cover leak that would suck my car only has 22k on it i dont wana tear all that shit apart for that but it makes sense why it would leak there and we arnt alone so im sayen thats the problem damn

it isnt a fun job,but it needs to be done..it is an all day job..

knowing what needs to be pulled will save alot of time,,

i remember my last time having cover off..

Users who are viewing this thread