Sluggish in 3rd gear?

paluka21

Established Member
Another 3rd gear fan here. Pulls like a Saturn V Rocket to 130 mph. Nailed it in 3rd the other night and at 130 I slammed it into 4th and broke traction. Not chirped the tires but broke traction. Can't wait to get my new Michelin Pilots (LOL).

Buddy of mine had a turbo notch back in the day that was in the 800rwhp range. Car was a manual running around on 15" BFG drag radials. One day he was playing around on the interstate and floored the car starting about 60mph. Car broke loose, and then broke loose again at 100+mph, and began swerving uncontrollably back and forth on the highway as he tried to correct it, until the car finally slammed into the guard rail injuring him and tearing the car up pretty bad. I've had my 95 on drag radials slide sideways at 80 before, and it wasn't a fun experience.

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
Every other gear pulls strong. Absolutely love this car. But when I downshift from 5th or 6th to 3rd and hit the gas there is acceleration but no where near the pull of the rest gears. Hell, I would be inclined to say that 5th pulls stronger than 3rd. I'll wait until I feel there is a real problem before I take it to the dealership but I wanted to see if anyone else experienced anything similar.

Ablaze,

My name is Ashley and I'm the new Ford Service rep here on the forum. I recommend having your dealer take a look at this when you get a chance. Once you get an appointment set up, send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll have your regional customer service manager reach out to you for additional assistance.

Ashley

DOHC MARK VIII

Mustang ***** since 1970
Established Member
Ablaze,

My name is Ashley and I'm the new Ford Service rep here on the forum. I recommend having your dealer take a look at this when you get a chance. Once you get an appointment set up, send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll have your regional customer service manager reach out to you for additional assistance.

Ashley

Very Cool! Hope you hang around, Ashley. :)

1FASFKR

Established Member
Ablaze,

Ashley

Interesting. I noticed the GM sites...specifically Camaro5 ZL1...have a service rep. Pretty sure you won't be as busy as that person...LOL.

Welcome

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ablaze,

Ashley

Welcome to the forum!

OP, either it's not pulling hard because there is something wrong...or it's not pulling hard because your tires are spinning. :beer:

I would take it out and check the boost gauge in all the gears and see what reading you get.

Ablaze

Established Member
Ablaze,

Ashley

Hey Ashley. I really appreciate you reaching out. Thank you and everyone else. I'm just waiting for a day off of work and I'm going to take it back out to see if I can pinpoint the problem otherwise I'll send a PM and get in touch with Ford.

paluka21

Established Member
Ablaze,

Ashley

Ashley,

Nice to see a Ford Service Representative posting here. Are you affiliated with any particular dealership? If it does not breach any contract or bylaw's, I know there are some folks at least on other threads asking warranty related questions. Perhaps we'll be able to get some straight forward "by the book" answers from you?

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
Hey Ashley. I really appreciate you reaching out. Thank you and everyone else. I'm just waiting for a day off of work and I'm going to take it back out to see if I can pinpoint the problem otherwise I'll send a PM and get in touch with Ford.

Sounds great! Just let me know, Ablaze. :)

... Are you affiliated with any particular dealership? If it does not breach any contract or bylaw's, I know there are some folks at least on other threads asking warranty related questions. Perhaps we'll be able to get some straight forward "by the book" answers from you?

paluka21,

I work for Ford Corporate, so I'm not affiliated with any particular dealership. As far as warranty concerns go, they are typically evaluated on a case-by-case basis, so it is hard to offer some general, all-encompassing answer. I'm certainly willing to try, though!

Ashley

paluka21

Established Member
Sounds great! Just let me know, Ablaze. :)

paluka21,

I work for Ford Corporate, so I'm not affiliated with any particular dealership. As far as warranty concerns go, they are typically evaluated on a case-by-case basis, so it is hard to offer some general, all-encompassing answer. I'm certainly willing to try, though!

Ashley

Totally understood. Appreciate the monitoring of posts and feedback you provide. Hopefully this proves to be a good resource for us GT500 owners, and doesn't become a "he said" "she said" type of deal with conflicting answers.

Ablaze

Established Member
Finally got a chance to drive the Shelby today. And.. Whelp, unfortunately at the risk of sounding like a dumdum (and obviously new to driving a 6 speed transmission) I found I was in 5th gear and not 3rd (which pulls like a rocket ship). I blame my lack of real seat time and the fact that this shifter loves to 'find' the next gear, which having a chance to hit some back roads today, I fell in love with it all over again. Crisis averted.

Vegasgold

Established Member
Finally got a chance to drive the Shelby today. And.. Whelp, unfortunately at the risk of sounding like a dumdum (and obviously new to driving a 6 speed transmission) I found I was in 5th gear and not 3rd (which pulls like a rocket ship). I blame my lack of real seat time and the fact that this shifter loves to 'find' the next gear, which having a chance to hit some back roads today, I fell in love with it all over again. Crisis averted.
LOL At least you found out it was not an issue. We all learn. Have fun...

1FASFKR

Established Member
See...I told Ashley she wouldn't be as busy as the GM guy at camaro5.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member

Hauls ass, don't it?

Tom

Ky GT500

Established Member

At least you were a big enough person to post up you were in the wrong gear. Not sure I would have even done that,,,might have just let the thread die out. :dw:

Users who are viewing this thread