Sluggish in 3rd gear?

Ablaze

Established Member
Every other gear pulls strong. Absolutely love this car. But when I downshift from 5th or 6th to 3rd and hit the gas there is acceleration but no where near the pull of the rest gears. Hell, I would be inclined to say that 5th pulls stronger than 3rd. I'll wait until I feel there is a real problem before I take it to the dealership but I wanted to see if anyone else experienced anything similar.

Ablaze

Established Member
Traction control off. I didn't even think to check my boost gauge. I'll do that next time I'm out. What should I be looking for?

rwboring

Established Member
Every other gear pulls strong. Absolutely love this car. But when I downshift from 5th or 6th to 3rd and hit the gas there is acceleration but no where near the pull of the rest gears. Hell, I would be inclined to say that 5th pulls stronger than 3rd. I'll wait until I feel there is a real problem before I take it to the dealership but I wanted to see if anyone else experienced anything similar.

3rd is typically the best gear in my opinion... finally traction and it pulls from 60-130 in no time

Siscakidd

Livin the dream
Established Member
Third gear is my favorite gear as well,pull is strong till I back out around 130,puts a smile on face every time!

rwboring

Established Member
and the car has enough torque to pull from about any speed... i mean if you are real low it isn't a rocket but anytime i take someone on a ride and pull from 40-130 in one gear they are amazed haha

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
My 3rd pulls hard but I'm tuned with bolt ons, if I'm doing 60 or 70 I Almost always put it in 2nd, since 2nd goes to about 95mph, im only in 3rd from 95 to 125.

Ky GT500

Established Member
Yep, I'm tuned also and third is a beast, major pull,,can break the GY's loose if I hammer it on cool tires. But we all know about the GY's. :dw:

Still, third should pull hard.

paluka21

Established Member
That's strange you're having an issue with 3rd gear being sluggish feeling. I have not went WOT in my '14 yet as I'm still breaking it in semi-softly with only 220 or so miles on it, but when I get into it even a little in 3rd, it feels strong like it wants to go.
As others have mentioned, what's your boost gauge look like when it feels this way?

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
That's strange you're having an issue with 3rd gear being sluggish feeling. I have not went WOT in my '14 yet as I'm still breaking it in semi-softly with only 220 or so miles on it, but when I get into it even a little in 3rd, it feels strong like it wants to go.
As others have mentioned, what's your boost gauge look like when it feels this way?

Put your foot in it and find out ya vagina. The engines are broke in on a dyno before they even hit the chassis and 200+ miles is plenty for clutch/gears to break in.

paluka21

Established Member
Put your foot in it and find out ya vagina. The engines are broke in on a dyno before they even hit the chassis and 200+ miles is plenty for clutch/gears to break in.

The way this car slides around even at part throttle on these Goodyears, I can imagine my vaginal ass will enjoy the ice skating experience. However, I'm not strange to higher horsepower street cars. My 95 recently dynoed at 690 to the tires on a mustang dyno, and only weighs 3350lbs. Car is a complete monster on the street.

DOHC MARK VIII

Mustang ***** since 1970
Established Member
Another 3rd gear fan here. Pulls like a Saturn V Rocket to 130 mph. Nailed it in 3rd the other night and at 130 I slammed it into 4th and broke traction. Not chirped the tires but broke traction. Can't wait to get my new Michelin Pilots (LOL).

Users who are viewing this thread