Sloppy Steering Question

CobraCarrera

Established Member
Well I have my truck now for a little while ( 2006 F250 6.0l) and I was wondering if any of you have the same issue...

The steering seems a bit sloppy...It seems that I have to constantly correct the steering as I am driving...like it almost wants to wander..I can turn the steering to the left or right without the quick response it should have...I know it isnt a sports car, but it should be tighter than this...

I had a local reputable performance shop look at it and they said that everything was fine underneath and the owner of the shop told me his 2006 F250 does the same thing except his is a dually...

I dont know...but my 2003 F250 I had a few years back seemed to have of a tighter steering if I remember correctly..

My truck is a 2 wheel drive and has not been lifted or has not had any accidents...Is there anything I can do? The tires are newer and do not have irregular wear....

It almost looks like I am driving drunk from behind...Even my wife said that she does not like the feel of the steering.....

It doesnt feel like the steering gear has gone bad or that the idler arm is loose...I dont know what to check next...

Any advise?????

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
How much play is in the steering wheel? The stock steering boxes on the Super Duty is pretty well known for being sloppy and unresponsive.

CobraCarrera

Established Member
How much play is in the steering wheel? The stock steering boxes on the Super Duty is pretty well known for being sloppy and unresponsive.

You can move the steering wheel left or right by I'd say 1 to 2 inch's before you get some steering response (reaction)...

I swear I dont remember my 2003 F250 doing this...Even my wife's Navigator has better response and it is fairly close in weight....

But again the shop checked everything out and said all was perfect underneath and that I could try out the owners truck to see the similarity...

:bash::bash:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Do they make a brace for ya'll steering box? They do for dodge and it helps.

Also check the steering shaft to see if the rag joint is damaged.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
You can move the steering wheel left or right by I'd say 1 to 2 inch's before you get some steering response (reaction)...

I swear I dont remember my 2003 F250 doing this...Even my wife's Navigator has better response and it is fairly close in weight....

But again the shop checked everything out and said all was perfect underneath and that I could try out the owners truck to see the similarity...

:bash::bash:

It sounds like you have a loose or bad steering box possibly. Google "super duty steering box adjustment" and you will find tons of information on the problem.

CobraCarrera

Established Member
It sounds like you have a loose or bad steering box possibly. Google "super duty steering box adjustment" and you will find tons of information on the problem.

I will do that...Thank You Very Much...:beer:

I did try and Google as much info on the truck before I bought it...

I even tried steering issues and it brought up nothing...:bash:

Kellyo77

keep calm and chive on!
Established Member
Interesting. I haven't really noticed any steering issues with mine. Other than needing an alignment. And it has 35" mud tires and a little lift.

Users who are viewing this thread