Slightly used 2.9 Whipple offered to me, What ya think?

Rygy04

SVT
Established Member
I stopped by my tuners shop today because I was in their area and wanted to say hey.

It is always bad news when I go in there because there is sooo much stuff going on... 3 Raptors being heavily modded with Whipple's, and Mustang's being Tuned, Custom Ford GT's with carbon fiber body's made into convertibles, and badass cars literally hanging from the damn ceiling.

Anyways, to the point... They offered me a 2.9 Whipple with Crusher inlet for $2,500. It was used on 1 car for Whipple R&D. Basically thrown on a GT500 for a few days, tracked once and dynoed and that is it. Whipple lets them keep the SC's for a super reduced price after they do the R&D for them and then they do as they please. Which in this case...offer it to me.

Is $2,500 really a good deal for the SC with Crusher inlet.

The supporting mods would be injectors, their custom fuel hats, throttle body, and obviously a tune. That grand total would add up higher then what I had originally planned of them porting my blower and keeping the fuel system stock, etc...

I want to hear opinions from you fellow's. My problem is that once I decide to do something I have to do it 100%. My mind won't let me piece together a project, it is all or nothing and I had already budgeted the port job to be complete... ya know?

Thanks!

JLear

2014 GT
Established Member
Sounds like a good deal to me, and if you're looking to make alot more power than the ported eaton, it's a great deal!:beer:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Check Ford Racing Parts Direct or some other retailer before you buy that unit. I could swear I saw the Whipple 2.9 body and crusher inlet for around that same price. Even if a new one was $2900, wouldn't the peace of mind of a brand new unit be worth $400 over a unit with a speculative history? Shop around first.

Rygy04

SVT
Established Member
injectors, and a boost a pump, skip the fuel hat.

My tuner refuses to work with BAP's.

He will only use his custom Fuel Hat's.

He has had to many problems with BAP's and will only tune his fuel hats.

I see his point... I was speculative about some of his mindsets a year or two back but since I've worked with him more and more he has turned out to be right on many other things too, so I trust him.

I am not sure what I am going to do yet. I will for sure shop around for a bit before I make a decision.

It is hard for me to just rid of a perfectly good blower with only 3k miles on it at this point, a part of me wants to utilize the stock blower for a few years before I start throwing 700 rwhp at it.

thgt500

Established Member
Seriously good deal on a great blower. IMO you should jump. GL with decision.

Rygy04

SVT
Established Member
Are long-tubes necessary with the upgraded Whipple setup?

I know they extract heat much better but it would also add an addition significant expense if I go that route.

My Tuner said it would help but they are not needed at first.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I already have a 2.9L, but I'd buy another one at that price. You'd better buy it before someone else does.

FRPP wholesale price is well above that.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Hell of a price. A TVS cost that price. A Whipple under the hood is no joke. I came a inch of pulling that trigger myself, but I got a great deal on a TVS

Users who are viewing this thread