Slight knock at idle

96n03Cobra

Kenne screwed me
Established Member
I'm looking at buying an 04 cobra with 25k miles and the car has a slight knock at idle, nothing too major. It doesn't sound bad enough to be the motor, maybe something in the valvetrain? Also it smokes a little when it was started up, I couldn't tell if it was black or blue smoke though. Went for a ride and when he got on it it was also smoking. That normal for the terminators? It was tuned by John Lund from Lund Racing, I've heard he's pretty reputable and likes to keep the a/f ratio around mid 11's.

Any thoughts on the knock and smoke? Car has 2.8KB, throttle body, fuel system upgrade w/ 60# injectors, blah blah blah. It's already been torn down once and had the pistons replaced after a bad tune led to 4 pistons being burnt. Kind of nervous about buying the car with the knock since it'll mainly be my DD.

metaman

Established Member
To answer you question, no that is not normal for Terminators. Sounds like it probably has "The Tick". Working on the valve train off these cars requires engine removal to get the timming cover (front of the entire engine) off of the car. So even if it is just a couple bad valve guides, you are looking at some major work to fix it.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Ehh...it really doesn't matter who tuned it to be honest, if the damage has already been done...if it smokes and has a little knock I would be very worried...motors aren't cheap...my advice...compression test...

Qwk GT

Established Member
Does the knock go away after it warms up? If it doesn't, smokes a lot, and has already had the motor replaced (not really an issue except the owner already blew one up.... maybe he beats the crap out of it) I would look elsewhere if its going to be a DD.

At least do a compression test.

96n03Cobra

Kenne screwed me
Established Member
It's not the head tick. The old 03 I used to have had the head tick and this doesn't sound like that. He's had the car for about 10-15k miles and barely drives it but the impression I get from him is that when he does drive it..he drives the piss out of it. Guess I have to look elsewhere to be safe, damn he was only 30 minutes from me too. Would have been so convenient! Oh well, found one in FL that if the price is right I'll fly down this weekend to pick up.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread