Sleeve it?

Flcracker

Established Member
So I've pretty much got the funds together to have my short block built by MPR, and the mechanical work to be done by Power by the Hour. I'm leaning towards having my shortblock sleeved, but I'm concerned that it might be overkill and unnecessary. My thought has been that it's an extra two grand or so to ensure that I'll have plenty of room to grow, but will I want that much room? MPRs stage two shotblock can safely make 900 wheel horsepower all day. I'm wondering if I'm going to want more than 900 wheel horsepower on the street and should therefore have it sleeved? What have you guys found to be about the right amount of horsepower for the street with a coyote motor. My mods are listed at the bottom. Thanks!!

Last edited:

corepwn

Established Member
So I've pretty much got the funds together to have my short block built by MPR, and the mechanical work to be done by Power by the Hour. I'm leaning towards having my shortblock sleeved, but I'm concerned that it might be overkill and unnecessary. My thought has been that it's an extra two grand or so to ensure that I'll have plenty of room to grow, but will I want that much room. MPRs stage two shotblock can safely make 900 wheel horsepower all day. I'm wondering if I'm going to want more than 900 wheel horsepower on the street and should therefore have it sleeved? What have you guys found to be about the right amount of horsepower for the street with a coyote motor. My mods are listed at the bottom. Thanks!!

The 2.3 TVS won't make much more steam then 900rwhp on its own. Basically, it's the perfect match for an Aluminator type motor using no block mods. Save the costs on the sleeves unless you plan on changing power adders, or adding a big shot on top of yours.

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
I was in the same situation. Honestly, I don't think anymore than 750 is usable on the streets anyway. MPR currently has my motor and even with the added expensive of the sleeves, you would still have to upgrade the rest of the car to handle that much power that would warrant sleeving for. You would have to sell your BAP and buy/install a new fuel system at the least.

Plus, like Corepwn said, your 2.3 TVS can't really make enough power to even blow a stock block sleeve with a good set of rods and pistons on its own.

If anything, you can always buy a set of billet water jacket supports and use those as an added bit of protection. Tim @ MPR doesn't do those though, last time I checked. Ask him.

Flcracker

Established Member
If I sleeve it than I might end selling my 2.3 and getting into somthng bigger. The car will be on E 85. So I think it's a question of how much is enough on the street.
Gpcalro, what is Steve doing to your motor? Instead of sleeving my shortblock, I'm thinking about just going with Diamomd Pistons and Manley rods. But I'm hesitant because I don't want to be in a position where I say to myself "damn I wish i had sleeved the black!"

Last edited:

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
Tim is doing just a little bit of stuff lol. Assembling the whole long block so I can just drop it in. Building it for a set of twins, but the build is by no means special. I almost bought the new Voodoo block to build. Very excited for this though. :burnout:

I honestly wanted sleeves but I realistically don't see myself pushing more than 900-950 ever. My end goal is 850rwhp and I'll be happy. That and the added expense just doesn't justify it for me. He did say I could safely rev to the moon with this build so that makes me happy.

-Manley H-beams
-MPR custom Diamond flattop pistons
-MPR crank sprocket
-MPR OPGs
-MPR custom valve springs and retainers
-Ferrea 1mm oversized hollow stem exhaust valves
-Clevite main bearings
-King rod bearings
-ARP everything.

Flcracker

Established Member
Nice! I just Sent you a PM Gpcalero. Does Power by the Hour do your mechanical work. I see that you live in South Florida just like me. Oh wait you're on the West Coast

Last edited:

Flcracker

Established Member
Right. A Darton sleeved block allows you to safely make over 1000 whp. The only reason I'm thinking about sleeving the block is to avoid being in a situation where I want more than 900 whp but I can't because I didn't sleeve it.

Last edited:

Dig Race

Established Member
There are plenty of cars just over 1000 with just rods and pistons, do you plan to go full retard one day and go for 1500? Lol

JTS_7

Established Member
Right. A Darton sleeved block allows you to safely make over 1000 whp. The only reason I'm thinking about sleeving the block is to avoid being in a situation where I want more than 900 whp but I can't because I didn't sleeve it.

If you have the coin, sleeve it. Do it once, save yourself expenses in the long run. Removal and sleeve after the fact would cost you way more in the long run. God forbid you crack the block, you will be kicking your ass.

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
Nice! I just Sent you a PM Gpcalero. Does Power by the Hour do your mechanical work. I see that you live in South Florida just like me. Oh wait you're on the West Coast

No, I do most all of the work myself at my buddies performance shop in Fort Myers. Much cheaper that way, and I know stuff is done right.

Users who are viewing this thread