sleep paralysis

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Does anyone else suffer from this? My last incident was today and its always associated with bad visions or abnormal images. It's been at least 1yr since my last episode. It's quite annoying and the anxiety level from it goes through the roof right after it ends. Need a solution to put this crap to rest for good.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
I've never researched it, so not sure if this is what you're talking about, but on two occassions when waking up I'll be able to see, hear, and I'm partially aware but completely unable to move.

I've had it occur twice that I can remember.

Ebeeson0502

Slowbra
Established Member
Its best not to struggle when it happens.

When it happens you already know whats up so just chill out, relax and take some deep breaths and focus on moving one part of your body at a time. I start moving my fingers or toes and it comes back pretty quick now. When I first started getting it I would struggle to move and it makes it worse and you freak out like crazy. Oh and think about something else. If you get caught up in it and start struggling it gets worse and then you start getting the audio and visual hallucinations

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I've had it happen to me twice. The first time it was intense, colors and demons etc. Rather than assume it was the devil I searched and found what it was. The second time it happened years later I was conscious of what was going on and enjoyed the short lived show.

MysticRob

Established Member
I didn't quite know what it is till I looked it up. Sounds like the same general thing as described by the "Old Hag Syndrome". I got that once during a high-stress time in the Navy in my early 20s (in my 40s now), working very long graveyard hours for nights on end. I thought I'd woken up, and could lift my head to see an evil looking old broad at the foot of the bed, but couldn't move, yell, nothing. Finally relaxed enough to wake up completely and of course there was nothing there. Apparently high stress likely triggers episodes, so whatever you're doing now, cut that crap out of your life.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Its best not to struggle when it happens.

When it happens you already know whats up so just chill out, relax and take some deep breaths and focus on moving one part of your body at a time. I start moving my fingers or toes and it comes back pretty quick now. When I first started getting it I would struggle to move and it makes it worse and you freak out like crazy. Oh and think about something else. If you get caught up in it and start struggling it gets worse and then you start getting the audio and visual hallucinations

I only had 3-4 sleep paralysis incidents. 2 of them were eerily similar.

No weird colors, looked normal other than a dark figure 1-2 feet from my bed looking at me. Happened the first time around 10 years ago at my parents house and then the second time 3 weeks after moving in with my GF. Second time I was really freaking out. Lasted longer than any other one till my GF heard me mumble random shit.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I only had 3-4 sleep paralysis incidents. 2 of them were eerily similar.

No weird colors, looked normal other than a dark figure 1-2 feet from my bed looking at me. Happened the first time around 10 years ago at my parents house and then the second time 3 weeks after moving in with my GF. Second time I was really freaking out. Lasted longer than any other one till my GF heard me mumble random shit.

same thing happened to me. just a dark figure standing a few feet away looking at me. freaked me out too. i was in high school when it happened. it happened once or twice more and thats it. been a looooooong time.

dooberGN

Established Member
Used to have it happen all the time, always when I sleep on my back. One of the worst episodes I opened my eyes but couldn't move. I heard my front door open and someone walking towards my room, my bedroom door creeps open and I see someone walking around my dark room using a cell phone as a flashlight.

The entire time was I trying to yell but I could only manage to like hum really loud, the thing left my room and I heard the front door open and close again then I could finally move. Felt like a legit home invasion.

99GreenCobra

Established Member
I used to get it when I was younger. Freaked me out bad. Had it one morning and had a strange dream about rivers of blood in hell. Was scared to stay in the house so I went to work and finished moving my office around. Shit my pants when my large digital clock said hEL. It was 7:34 and it was upside down. I thought I was going insane till I found out what it was. Enjoyed it from then on. Hasn't happened for a long time.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
It's happened to me a few times. I usually just lay there and slowly will my body to wake up and move. Takes a few minutes, but I usually manage to get my body moving, usually starting with my arms.

I've only had the bad vision once, and it was a crazy face staring at me in the dark (getting goosebumps now, remembering it), but I associated that with Ambien. That night was the one night I took Ambien, and the vision-thing hasn't happened to me since.

Ebeeson0502

Slowbra
Established Member
Try having sleep paralysis and sleep apnea at the same time. Waking up choking and gasping for air AND not being able to move, now that's some scary shit @_@

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I have had this happen, most occurrences when I was kid, but at least 3-4 times as an adult. When it has happened, always see a dark figure hovering over me and unable to move. This crap really freaked me out as a kid, got the auditory hallucinations then, like a loud buzzing.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
All you guys seeing black figures are not suffering from "sleep paralysis". It's a real thing but when you are seeing dark figures or disturbing images then you are dealing with something else.

mdever12

Established Member
Used to have it happen all the time, always when I sleep on my back. One of the worst episodes I opened my eyes but couldn't move. I heard my front door open and someone walking towards my room, my bedroom door creeps open and I see someone walking around my dark room using a cell phone as a flashlight.

The entire time was I trying to yell but I could only manage to like hum really loud, the thing left my room and I heard the front door open and close again then I could finally move. Felt like a legit home invasion.

It's been a few months since I've had it last, but in the last couple of years it's happened to me 7-8 times. It only happens when I'm laying on my back as well.

The first time really freaked me out.

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
Ive had this happen 5-6 times and usually if I was napping during the day. I feel it may be somehow associated with sleep apnea actually. I remember thinking that my wife had come home and was walking around the house. When I finally was able to get awake I got up and checked around. House empty and doors all still locked.Lost 15 lbs and it has not happened again (sleep apnea connection).

dooberGN

Established Member
All you guys seeing black figures are not suffering from "sleep paralysis". It's a real thing but when you are seeing dark figures or disturbing images then you are dealing with something else.

Sleep paralysis is often accompanied by hallucinations.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
I think I had it once or twice, didn't see any figures or anything but I felt like there was an alien about to walk into my room. Just stared at the door for what seemed like forever.

SuperBlownGT

Forever CoBro!
Established Member
Man you guys are lucky to only have it a few times. There are some nights I get it 4-5 times. Can snap out if it fall back asleep then a hour later right back in it. I know some people claim it leads to astral projection but I don't buy it

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member

I've been involved with dreams dealing with trickery and sleep paralysis. I say dream but it's not a complete state of sleep. What is this something else you talk about? Like others stated I believe stress is kicking my butt.

Users who are viewing this thread