Skeeter Syndrome

fitforspeed

Established Member
Apparently, I have developed "skeeter syndrome". Basically, I have a stronger reaction to mosquito bites than normal. Case in point: I got a bite on my upper calf on Wednesday night with mild itching. Average bite. Next day, started itching around lunchtime. Had redness and swelling around 1.5" diameter. By the end of the day, a tiny pus filled blister showed up right dead center, plus it was very hard and very warm in that localized area. Not a lot different than the yellow jacket sting I had a few years ago. Very itchy, painful, throbbing. No cure, but thankfully hydrocortisone cream curbs the itch. Can be caused by a specific breed, and tiger mosquitos are prevalent in my back yard. Been running bug zappers with mosquito attractant, but live out in the country with acres of farmland around. No standing water in my two acres, but my backyard never gets direct sunlight and has very soft/fertile ground.

I've been having similar reactions all summer, and I swear they come running for me when I go outside. I've been spraying down with repellant but I was out for maybe five minutes Wednesday. Moral of the story: Looks like no more shorts for me, and long sleeves when I'm working outside for any amount of time.

Not life threatening or anything like that, but my gosh it can about drive you crazy if you get several bites at once.

Interesting. I recently had the same unexplained thing happen. Back of my right calf. I don’t remember it being all that itchy but I did put some hydrocortisone cream on it pretty early. Have never had a reaction like that from any mosquito bite ever, and I have lived in Fl most of my life so been bitten a few times. Strange, things that make you go hmmmm It’s been probably a week or so now and looks like this.
Image1694447991.125488.jpg

Normally I have very mild reaction to bites. And inflammation subsides relatively soon.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Interesting. I recently had the same unexplained thing happen. Back of my right calf. I don’t remember it being all that itchy but I did put some hydrocortisone cream on it pretty early. Have never had a reaction like that from any mosquito bite ever, and I have lived in Fl most of my life so been bitten a few times. Strange, things that make you go hmmmm It’s been probably a week or so now and looks like this.
View attachment 1808925
Normally I have very mild reaction to bites. And inflammation subsides relatively soon.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Exactly the same.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Here's a tip that really works! As soon as you notice a bite, don't scratch it. That will embed the mosquito's saliva deeper into your skin, and make it worse.

Apply a small amount of liquid dish soap (Dawn), straight out of the bottle undiluted, on the bite, in a light circular motion. Within 10 minutes, the bite will stop itching, and disappear. Works better than hydrocortisone. Mosquito saliva is acidic, and the high pH of the Dawn soap, neutralizes it. I've used this technique for many years with great success. The key is to not scratch it, and catch it early before the saliva gets absorbed into your skin.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
This shit has me thinking about GM modified mosquitoes they released to kill off regular mosquitoes (sterile males or some shit like that)… what could go wrong!!? I have been getting pretty good sized welps from bites, sometimes they turn into a pimple like pustule.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Here's a tip that really works! As soon as you notice a bite, don't scratch it. That will embed the mosquito's saliva deeper into your skin, and make it worse.

Apply a small amount of liquid dish soap (Dawn), straight out of the bottle undiluted, on the bite, in a light circular motion. Within 10 minutes, the bite will stop itching, and disappear. Works better than hydrocortisone. Mosquito saliva is acidic, and the high pH of the Dawn soap, neutralizes it. I've used this technique for many years with great success. The key is to not scratch it, and catch it early before the saliva gets absorbed into your skin.
Nice one! My reading indicates it is the saliva that causes the reaction. Problem for me is that they are so dang sneaky it's hard for me to figure it out. I'm definitely going to give this a shot though.
This shit has me thinking about GM modified mosquitoes they released to kill off regular mosquitoes (sterile males or some shit like that)… what could go wrong!!? I have been getting pretty good sized welps from bites, sometimes they turn into a pimple like pustule.
Yep, same as me.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Another thing. The two or so posts above about mosquito bites not healing and become infected...I've got a theory on that. A few weeks ago, I was out at dusk drying the car, and I was just getting attacked by mosquitoes. Came inside, and had at least 14 bites, used my soap trick on them. The next day, there were 3 that itched like crazy, were turning red, and grew to a diameter of 1.5". The other bites went away, and weren't really bothersome. The next few days these 3 bites were excruciatingly itchy. I would compare it to a flea bite or fire ant bite (we don't have those here but I got bit visiting South Carolina).

It took almost three weeks to heal, definitely not a mosquito bite. After thinking about it, I came to the conclusion it was a horse fly, or similar fly bite. So those bites that really turn ugly, may not be mosquitoes after all.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Tiger mosquitos are the culprit, but they've been in our area for several years.

Tiger mosquitoes are bad! They are also active in the day time. I've killed some, and using a magnifying glass, you can definitely see their black stripes. I don't remember them being around a few years ago, but they are now! They leave a very small circular bump, compared to our regular mosquitoes. Itch like crazy. Soap trick really works on these guys too.

252-tigermosquito-M.jpeg

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Another thing. The two or so posts above about mosquito bites not healing and become infected...I've got a theory on that. A few weeks ago, I was out at dusk drying the car, and I was just getting attacked by mosquitoes. Came inside, and had at least 14 bites, used my soap trick on them. The next day, there were 3 that itched like crazy, were turning red, and grew to a diameter of 1.5". The other bites went away, and weren't really bothersome. The next few days these 3 bites were excruciatingly itchy. I would compare it to a flea bite or fire ant bite (we don't have those here but I got bit visiting South Carolina).

It took almost three weeks to heal, definitely not a mosquito bite. After thinking about it, I came to the conclusion it was a horse fly, or similar fly bite. So those bites that really turn ugly, may not be mosquitoes after all.
I'm 99.9% sure it's nothing else but mosquito bites. And I know it wasn't horseflies, they hurt like crazy on the initial bite. I'm having pretty much the same reaction to all the mosquito bites and it is comparable to the fireant bite the next day. Honestly, it reminded me of a yellow jacket sting I had a few years ago. The next day it was swelled, red, hot and that little center hard spot/boil started popping.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member

Update: I kept forgetting to bring any detergent with me. But I do carry something with me all the time - spit.

As soon as I felt an itchy spot, moistened my fingertip and rubbed around the spot a couple of times. Saliva is slightly acidic (not alkaline like detergent), but figured I'd give it a shot. After all, just need to get rid of the mosquito saliva.

Still got the normal mosquito bite welt, but it went away within fifteen minutes with no lingering after effect like I had been getting. So, I've been going with that with, so far, 100% success.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
Went out to wash the Explorer Sunday morning, got 4 or 5 bites.

I have never had such a reaction mosquito bites. Large welts. Now, they didn't last long, itched for about 10 minutes and welts gone in about 2 hours.

I have had less reactions from spider bites, except for three - they left scars.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
I can only imagine you at Thanksgiving Day dinner.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Christ Almighty. Someone send him some booze POST HASTE. Jameson isn't bad. The irish and even scots do booze well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread