sirius-xm shady business practices

mustang addict

Established Member
I just cancelled 7 of my Sirius subscriptions yesterday. Took 1 hour on the phone and they put me on the line with two other people begging me to stay subscribed at lower rates.

We will see if they truly cancel it or if I somehow get charged for things I wanted cancelled. Supposed to get a $430 refund.

jbs$

Established Member
I have used their services on multiple cars plus a couple of house units, for years, never any unresolved issues.

oldmodman

Established Member
Do what I do to avoid recurring, undesirable charges.

Get a card specifically for those "annoying" companies.

Then report the card lost. End of problem.

B-O-B'03

Established Member
Company's can legally add time to your card expiration in order to fulfill a contract you have with them. They didn't actually do anything fraudulent here. You wrongfully assumed that you didn't need to cancel your contract to avoid a charge.

The credit card company did a chargeback for you, but it should be noted that there's nothing to stop Sirius/XM from disputing that chargeback on the basis of a contract. Their contract or terms of use can be found here.

http://www.siriusxm.com/pdf/siriusxm_customeragreement_eng.pdf

This is why it's so important to actually read these things, but nobody does. I did a cursory skim of them and the key parts missed where that use of service is agreement with the terms and that if you setup a subscription it will auto-renew at current rates until cancelled by you.

Knowing Sirius, a dispute of the chargeback wouldn't surprise me.

I signed up for a 3 year deal and do not recall signing up for a lifetime commitment and I am pretty sure the rate was higher than the last term.

I understand I did not handle it correctly, now, like I said ... I blew it off.

sirius-xm agreed to the refund.

$595.47?? Was that for 10 years?

It was another 3 year term, apparently with indefinite renewal until canceled.

It should also be noted that your card issuer probably sells your updated CC info to Sirius. Programs similar to this one: https://www.chasepaymentech.com/account_updater.html keeps subscription based businesses from losing potential revenue. From a business perspective, people will file chargebacks against these charges, but the benefit of the incoming renewals outweighs the cost of chargebacks.

That sux, to me, the expiration date should only be allowed to be update by the card holder

So let me get this straight...you didn't bother cancelling a recurring charge (which you agreed to) and then you got upset when the company recharged your credit card as in the contract? And then you had the balls to say that they illegally made this charge?

If I was the sirius rep I would've laughed in your face and would've told your credit card company "good luck" in disputing a charge that the customer clearly agreed to and never bothered to cancel.

I agree I did not handle it correctly, but still think the expiration date on a credit card should mean something, or why have it.

-Brian

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
In case anyone cares... for $2 extra you can request sirius-xm send you a paper bill versus putting the cost of your subscription on a CC. That way there's no chance of them charging you anything once the subscription expires. I've been doing this for years now. NEVER EVER give sirius-xm your CC number!

U.M.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
I found the easiest way to cancel Sirius radio is to tell them that my Mustang goes into storage every winter and I am not going to pay for 4 months of radio I am not using.

They never argue with me after that and my subscription gets canceled.

Then in the Spring I take advantage of the low offers I recieve in the mail ($25 for 5 months).:beer:

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I found the easiest way to cancel Sirius radio is to tell them that my Mustang goes into storage every winter and I am not going to pay for 4 months of radio I am not using.

They never argue with me after that and my subscription gets canceled.

Then in the Spring I take advantage of the low offers I recieve in the mail ($25 for 5 months).:beer:

I get the $25 for 6 months every time my subscription runs out, promo offer or not. I just threaten to cancel, works every time.

mgmustang1

Established Member
They refunded you, shows its a good company. Nothing beats driving from state to state and never have to change channel or stations going out of reach. I've had sirius xm for 7 years and would never cancel. If price is a factor call up to cancel and they will cut you a deal.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
I get the $25 for 6 months every time my subscription runs out, promo offer or not. I just threaten to cancel, works every time.

I did that too but now I have a car that has XM and not Sirius, and they won't give me Howard Stern for the $25/6 month deal. I told them to take my email off their system and don't contact me until they can. They haven't reached out to me for a while now...:whine:

I might take them up on the $50/6 month deal that they offered me for Howard.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
I found them to be a decent company.

After the initial free offer expired I got it for 5 months for $25. Then when that expired I just cancelled the whole thing no questions asked but they never had my cc on file. In the summer if they offer me the $25 deal again I might do it but then just cancel it again. For $25 it's worth it to me especially on cape cod where the stations are not very good.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
I found them to be a decent company.

After the initial free offer expired I got it for 5 months for $25. Then when that expired I just cancelled the whole thing no questions asked but they never had my cc on file. In the summer if they offer me the $25 deal again I might do it but then just cancel it again. For $25 it's worth it to me especially on cape cod where the stations are not very good.

nickf2005

Established Member
While it's nice having continuous reception and various stations, the sound quality of satellite radio is horrendous. After my free subscription and a couple renewals at $25/6 months, I don't care to have it anymore. With Sync, Pandora, and unlimited data I do just fine.

They are relentless on their calls and mailers though. Still get offers on the wife's car after 4 years of ownership.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I did that too but now I have a car that has XM and not Sirius, and they won't give me Howard Stern for the $25/6 month deal. I told them to take my email off their system and don't contact me until they can. They haven't reached out to me for a while now...:whine:

I might take them up on the $50/6 month deal that they offered me for Howard.

Thought sirius and XM were the same now...

When Howard retires I will move on, he is the main reason I have it.

o2gt

Established Member
Do what I do to avoid recurring, undesirable charges.

Get a card specifically for those "annoying" companies.

Then report the card lost. End of problem.
You realize that's fraud? I understand using a dedicated card for things and having a legitimate grievance, but that does not seem like what your talking about. Maybe I'm misreading what your saying.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
While it's nice having continuous reception and various stations, the sound quality of satellite radio is horrendous. After my free subscription and a couple renewals at $25/6 months, I don't care to have it anymore. With Sync, Pandora, and unlimited data I do just fine.

They are relentless on their calls and mailers though. Still get offers on the wife's car after 4 years of ownership.

This!!! They talked me into the another 6 mos, but its up in March and I will be done... I rarely use it these days, mostly stick to sync and slacker radio.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
I just had my new card shipped to me and I was wondering about this as well (only difference is the number on the back).... I know some businesses out there have been doing some sketchy shit (in hopes people don't notice). Guess I'll have to keep my eye out as I used to subscribe to them way way back in the day.

Last edited:

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
Thought sirius and XM were the same now...

When Howard retires I will move on, he is the main reason I have it.

I thought so too but apparently the "basic package" differs between the two. If you have Sirius then you get Howard with the basic. If you have XM you don't and have to upgrade.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've been a Sirius/XM for many years and have never had any issues, even when disputing a charge (ie. when a car was traded in). They have always been extremely cooperative on the phone, doing whatever they need to do to keep me satisfied with their service. If there is any misunderstanding, they have always made it right.

Dbzguy

Black Sheep Squadron
Established Member
Been with Sirius XM since 2011. They always try and charge a high amount when renewal time comes but Ive always been able to knock that down to a decent rate. Last time I renewed I got 8 months for $24

Users who are viewing this thread