Sirius XM music royalty fee

mcaligiuri

Established Member
So my subscription is up next month and I called up to do the usual promotion renewal. Now all the packages carry a 41% music royalty fee. This is nuts cause they wanted to give me the all access for a year $120 with streaming but when you go to pay it’s a $27 music and royalty surcharge fee. Yeah not happening. I’d rather use my iPod for $150 a year. I hate the 6 month thing cause it’s a pain to call back in 5 months. Wonder how many other people realize they increased their “fees” this year.

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
My 6 free months was supposed to be up end of June....still enabled. Hope they forgot about me. Yeah F that surcharge crap.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I rarely listen to XM, typically only on trips.

I wouldn't pay $5 a month for it.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
My 6 free months was supposed to be up end of June....still enabled. Hope they forgot about me. Yeah F that surcharge crap.
If you read the 6 month agreement it show that they automatically renew each time the period expires.

Just prior to my last period expiring I had ordered a new card. They could not renew my service.

They are all about calling you 3 times a day to get you back but never let you know when your current subscription ends.

My wife uses Spotify on her phone and does not want to renew any longer.

Me with a mop is like a frog riding a bicycle.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So my subscription is up next month and I called up to do the usual promotion renewal. Now all the packages carry a 41% music royalty fee. This is nuts cause they wanted to give me the all access for a year $120 with streaming but when you go to pay it’s a $27 music and royalty surcharge fee. Yeah not happening. I’d rather use my iPod for $150 a year. I hate the 6 month thing cause it’s a pain to call back in 5 months. Wonder how many other people realize they increased their “fees” this year.

"All packages carry a 41% music royalty fee"? NOT true. Their music royalty fee changed on 2/15/18 and the new rate is 19.1%, up from the 13% they charged since January of 2015. My wife's plan was just renewed on 6/28/18 and the fee was 19.1%. You should call customer service and have them review your account and what you paid. Here is information directly from the Sirius/XM website.

Did the U.S. Music Royalty Fee Change in 2018?

The effective rate used to calculate our U.S. Music Royalty Fee for subscription packages which include music channels has been in effect since January, 2015 and did not change in 2016 and 2017. The U.S. Music Royalty Fee did change for most packages beginning February 15, 2018. Effective as of February 15, 2018, the U.S. Music Royalty Fee increased from 13.9% to 19.1% of the price of all audio packages which include music channels. For more information, click here. The increase is a result of the recent decision by the Copyright Royalty Board of the Library of Congress.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I like some of it but not for what they want. They say they don’t have commercials but when some of the announcers talk to me it’s like one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you read the 6 month agreement it shows that they automatically renew each time the period expires. Just prior to my last period expiring I had ordered a new card....

They are all about calling you 3 times a day to get you back but never let you know when your current subscription ends.

My wife uses Spotify on her phone and does not want to renew any longer.

This is (partially) not true. There might be a reason why you didn't get a notification, but Sirus definitely informs their customers when a renewal is coming. Also, you are not forced to Auto-Renew. They have an invoice option for those subscribers who don't want to keep a credit card on file for Auto-Renew. I just talked to a Sirius agent.

The following info came directly from the Sirus website regarding notifications.

How can I find out when my plan will automatically renew? Will you notify me?
You can find the exact date your subscription renews by logging in to the Online Account Center. Click here if you are on a mobile device. The renewal date for each subscription is displayed in the Active Radios/Subscriptions section of the My Subscriptions tab.

renewdate.png

We provide information about automatic renewal during new radio activations, in notification letters and on this website. Our automatic renewal policy is also explained in our Customer Agreement.

Subscribers with annual or longer recurring subscriptions, and Connecticut residents with semi-annual or longer recurring subscriptions, will receive an automatic renewal notification no less than 30 days prior to their renewal date. In certain other cases, subscribers receive a notification by email or postcard at least 15 days before they become paying subscribers.

Last edited:

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
This is also not true. There might be a reason why you didn't get a notification, but Sirus definitely informs their customers when a renewal is coming. Also, you are not forced to Auto-Renew. Just remove your credit card from your Profile and you can renew manually when the current subscription ends. The following info came directly from the Sirus website.

You can find the exact date your subscription renews by logging in to the Online Account Center. Click here if you are on a mobile device. The renewal date for each subscription is displayed in the Active Radios/Subscriptions section of the My Subscriptions tab.

View attachment 1508084

We provide information about automatic renewal during new radio activations, in notification letters and on this website. Our automatic renewal policy is also explained in our Customer Agreement.

Subscribers with annual or longer recurring subscriptions, and Connecticut residents with semi-annual or longer recurring subscriptions, will receive an automatic renewal notification no less than 30 days prior to their renewal date. In certain other cases, subscribers receive a notification by email or postcard at least 15 days before they become paying subscribers.
I will say you are wrong unless Sirius made a mistake. I just copied it.

Offer Details: Activate a semi-annual Select subscription and pay $29.94 for your first 6 months, a savings of 68% off the current monthly rate of $15.99, plus get free activation (an additional $15 savings). Fees and taxes apply. Service will automatically renew monthly thereafter (if on credit card) or every 6 months thereafter (if on invoice), and you will be charged according to your chosen payment method at then-current rates. To cancel you must call us at 1-866-635-2349. See our Customer Agreement for complete terms atwww.siriusxm.com. All terms, fees and programming subject to change. This offer cannot be combined with any other. Offer good

mcaligiuri

Established Member
"All packages carry a 41% music royalty fee"? NOT true. Their music royalty fee changed on 2/15/18 and the new rate is 19.1%, up from the 13% they charged since January of 2015. My wife's plan was just renewed on 6/28/18 and the fee was 19.1%. You should call customer service and have them review your account and what you paid. Here is information directly from the Sirius/XM website.

Did the U.S. Music Royalty Fee Change in 2018?

The effective rate used to calculate our U.S. Music Royalty Fee for subscription packages which include music channels has been in effect since January, 2015 and did not change in 2016 and 2017. The U.S. Music Royalty Fee did change for most packages beginning February 15, 2018. Effective as of February 15, 2018, the U.S. Music Royalty Fee increased from 13.9% to 19.1% of the price of all audio packages which include music channels. For more information, click here. The increase is a result of the recent decision by the Copyright Royalty Board of the Library of Congress.

Ok I might have been off on the percent but I know it was like $25 fee on top of the package

Zodiac

Established Member
**** XM. My free 1 year ended on my car in January and ends on my Jeep next month. I'm so looking forward to harassing calls from India at all hours of the day and night. Had to threaten legal action and keep a log of calls and get a letter mailed out to them from a lawyer to stop. I explicitly told the dealership when I purchased cars not to activate the free 1 year but apparently they have to?

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
**** XM. My free 1 year ended on my car in January and ends on my Jeep next month. I'm so looking forward to harassing calls from India at all hours of the day and night. Had to threaten legal action and keep a log of calls and get a letter mailed out to them from a lawyer to stop. I explicitly told the dealership when I purchased cars not to activate the free 1 year but apparently they have to?
They do the number spoofing thing now. They have a local area code number call.

Zodiac

Established Member
They do the number spoofing thing now. They have a local area code number call.

Yeah they were all "local numbers." Pretty easy to tell it wasn't a local call... I hope they go bankrupt.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
This is (partially) not true. There might be a reason why you didn't get a notification, but Sirus definitely informs their customers when a renewal is coming. Also, you are not forced to Auto-Renew. They have an invoice option for those subscribers who don't want to keep a credit card on file for Auto-Renew. I just talked to a Sirius agent.

The following info came directly from the Sirus website regarding notifications.

View attachment 1508084

Thanks for the edit. I was notified that the renewal did not go through and I had an outstanding balance of 14.99.

Let me see if I can dig that up. I may have missed a notification. The bad thing is I normally trash those emails and empty the trash can regularly.

Zemedici

Established Member
I like XM, octane is the only channel i listen to.

They called to sell me a subscription, (bought my 2015 in March of this year), and said a year is $99.

I said ‘what about $60, i don’t know if I’ll use it’

Guy goes ‘lemme see’

2 minutes on hold

‘Got a coupon available for $59.99’

Was easy enough? Weird maybe i got the one white guy they have working for them to prevent discrimination cases lololol

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
CB I did get a 48hr notification this was followed by a message that my payment was not received. I will call them up and square that away.

I see the confusion now, I did not read through the notification as we did not plan to renew.

mcaligiuri

Established Member
CB I did get a 48hr notification this was followed by a message that my payment was not received. I will call them up and square that away.

I see the confusion now, I did not read through the notification as we did not plan to renew.

Yeah I heard they put it thru collections if you don’t pay

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Looks like they hiked the fee 41% from the 13%.

13 x .41 = 5.33

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
The only thing I listen to on Sirius/XM is Talk radio. For music Pandora is much better imo.

Users who are viewing this thread