sinister (but hopefully benign) knock sound in '99...

4camV8

Established Member
About 2 days ago, my cobra developed a rather sinister knocking sound under certain conditions. I first noticed it idling next to a concrete wall where the sound was bouncing into my open window. The only way to describe it was it sounded like someone using a hammer really far away or something. That's what i actually thought it was, until i turned off the car and it went away. I didn't give it too much thought, thinking a bolt had worked itself loose and something was rattling a bit. The sound was irregular, and not maintaing rhythm with the engine, so i did not suspect anything internal.

Then tonite driving home, I started to get worse, becoming audible idling at traffic lights without necessarily having a wall to reflect the sound into my open window. At first it didn't seem to be RPM dependent, but now ocassionally it does. And just now, as i was coming up the steep hill that i live on, i held the RPM's steady at around 1800-2000 in second and kept steady speed up the hill... the knock was audible the whole time, in a steady rhythm. Prior to that, it seemed to only be present while idling clutch in, or just starting forward motion, or right after upshifting (but not downshifting).

All that being said, for as bad as it sounds, the engine runs as smooth as it ever has (if you could't hear the noise, you wouldn't think anything was out of the ordinary), it's not down on power at all, and isn't smoking or anything. Everything's completely normal except this evil sounding knock.

Here's what i've been thinking:

1. these alloy cobra blocks seem to be notorious for nuts and bolts working themselves loose (i've had trouble with everything from coil cover hold downs to engine mounts!). so maybe something has gotten loose and is rattling now under certain conditions.

2. the knock is some sort of clutch chatter, as it seems to be at least loosely associated with shifting gears and clutch action. Also, my clutch has been suspect lately anyway (it's the original with close to 50k miles on it) with occasional burning clutch smell.

3... well those two are really all i've thought of... PLEASE HELP!! any ideas? suggestions, comments? I guess what i am hoping for is for someone to say, "oh yeah, i know exactly what you're describing, that happened to me and it was (insert part here) rattling against (insert other part here)" but i'll listen to any ideas at this point... *crosses fingers hoping it's not a rod bolt, or some other catastrophic internal damage*

Thanks in advance

Glenn

ZincDude

Blah
Established Member
Don't know what to tell you, but $4750 for that GT sounds steep to me unless its tricked. No offense. Everyone talks about this tick problem and I only have a 1000 miles on the Mach with no tick. When I had my 88 GT I must of had this tick for 75,000 miles until the day I sold it. Only noticed it going thru drive thru's like you mentioned. :-D

4camV8

Established Member
Originally posted by ZincDude
Don't know what to tell you, but $4750 for that GT sounds steep to me unless its tricked. No offense. Everyone talks about this tick problem and I only have a 1000 miles on the Mach with no tick. When I had my 88 GT I must of had this tick for 75,000 miles until the day I sold it. Only noticed it going thru drive thru's like you mentioned. :-D

The 89 had close to $10k in mods, and it's sold btw... i need to update my sig...

The cobra problem isn't "the tick" it's a hideous knock.

rmoreau

Established Member
Did you recently add a clutch quadrant and adj.? Mine started doing that after I installed mine. Not always, but often enough to notice it. next time it happens, look at your clutch pedal. Mine vibrates with the sound. Maybe adjust it?

Randy

4camV8

Established Member
Originally posted by rmoreau
Did you recently add a clutch quadrant and adj.? Mine started doing that after I installed mine. Not always, but often enough to notice it. next time it happens, look at your clutch pedal. Mine vibrates with the sound. Maybe adjust it?

Randy

No, but i am taking some encouragement from the fact that there's any kind of associated clutch problems. I'll be a happy man if that's all this noise turns out to be...

j_yates78

Established Member
ok, well the same thing happened to me thought it was nothing major. took it to ford to look at and they said it was nothing too major they all do that with 70k miles. then about two weeks later i am towing my car to sacramento to get a rebuild. haha. sorry at this point i have to laugh if i really think about it all i get is mad. the problem was a list of the below.

blown head gaskets
broken rod bearing

have it looked at by a good mechanic or your SVT rep, haha i said sVT rep and good mechanic in the same sentence. sorry i am just bitter.

rande/melissa

Established Member
hate to say it but ....can we all say rod knock? listen to the motor in a tunnel or next to a building when you are using the engine to slow the car . if it doesn't knock then, and it does when you put it under a load, time for a rebuild..

4camV8

Established Member
Originally posted by rande/melissa
hate to say it but ....can we all say rod knock? listen to the motor in a tunnel or next to a building when you are using the engine to slow the car . if it doesn't knock then, and it does when you put it under a load, time for a rebuild..

It doesn't knock during engine braking... it knocks under a load like going up a hill at slow speeds, but not under a load like accelerating real fast, or anything up in the rpm's. It only knocks under like 2000 rpm. Does that tell you anything? I am pretty sure my ESP covers me till 70k miles, so even if it's as bad as a rod knock, i should be ok... i'll just inconvenienced and awfully damn pissed that my cobra can't go more than 50k miles without engine failure.

Also, it was knocking at idle once today, so i got out and listened, sounds like it's coming from under the car, like back by the tranny, NOT the engine compartment.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Motor is trashed, mine kind of did the same thing, they way you describe it with the clutch, has too much crank-shaft end play. I hope it isn't the motor, even if you do have a warantee. Good luck.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
you did a pretty darn good job of verbally describing.....a rod knock....Get it to your dealer to verify and hopefully you have ESP Premium care....It should be covered.
Good luck...4cam
Jim
ps: If not covered think of it as an opportunity to upgrade to forged internals(rods and pistons, some thing light but strong for N/A use)

4camV8

Established Member
Originally posted by AtlCobra01
have you found out anything? my 01 just had the same problem about 2 weeks ago

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68388

Ouch...

I think i am in the clear... as the noise got worse/louder it was clearly not internal engine... it sounded like exhaust banging on something. Then the other day, it got so bad i was waiting for something to explode, then it just stopped, and hasn't really done it since except for once for a few minutes.

Here is what i am thinking as of 9:07 am friday dec. 5th. (cause i change my mind about what's wrong with it every 20 minutes or so)

I welded in catco cats to my BBK h-pipe a few months ago. My dad's (very good, very knowledgable) mechanic originally asked if my cats were old, that if so, the screening (he used a different term) inside can break loose and bang around. I didn't think much of it at the time. However, since the noise stopped, the exhaust note has changed considerably, to a raspy growl that reminds me very much of what my car sounded like w/o cats.

I think maybe parts of the Catco innards let go and are rattling around in there. The mechanic also said, and i share this mainly to make myself feel better, that it wasn't anything in the engine.
Any comments on my shredded cat theory:D?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread