Single turbo vs 3.4 Whipple w/crusher

cobracrazee

Established Member
I really want the Hellion TT but when I start adding
everything up the cost just goes past 10k without
going into the block or tranny. So I'm considering
either a Hellion 76mm bb single or the 3.4
Whipple Crusher. What are pros and cons?
Who's had both? At what rpm do you hit max boost
on 76mm. Ill probably see the track once or twice a year
My 04 Cobra is a daily driver, do need reliability and want 750
hp? What are you guys thoughts?

metaman

Established Member
First you have to start with the goals for the car, then go from there. Seat of the pants the twin screw is going to be more fun than the turbo.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
^ his goal is stated in his post

i've had the 76mm/bb kit and it's definitely worth the money, and makes power without even sweating. it's really gonna come down to how do you feel about your car feeling like a prius below 3000rpm. i know when you're getting on it and stuff all that doesn't matter, but you said it's a dd so you'll notice it all the time. i rarely drove my Hellion cobra and it really started to bother me...not saying that i wouldn't go turbo again on my next car though. i've rode in and drove a few twin screw 650ish rwhp cobras and they really get you grinning from the initial torque hit.

keep in mind that on either setup you're gonna need to be running higher octane fuel, torco all the time, or e85.

TurboLover

Banned
First you have to start with the goals for the car, then go from there. Seat of the pants the twin screw is going to be more fun than the turbo.

I think that is not necessarily true. I have friends that wish they drove their twin screw off a cliff, lol.

Im sure a 800 hp turbo is more fun.

IMO

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
single turbos are capable of making over 900RW, that aint gonna happen with a Whipple!

truth! (on a stock ci motor, no spray situation)

i will say this. with the whipple, its a set it and forget it type of deal. turbos can become, and normally are, more involved.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
I think that is not necessarily true. I have friends that wish they drove their twin screw off a cliff, lol.

Im sure a 800 hp turbo is more fun.

IMO
i will take these said twin screw cobras off their hands if they're really that unhappy with them. also, what makes you say "i'm sure a 800hp turbo is more fun?" the op asked for facts and real world experience, not opinions from youtube videos.

single turbos are capable of making over 900RW, that aint gonna happen with a Whipple!
not the turbonetics 76mm he's thinking of using

Last edited:

Fat-cat

Established Member
I dont know any 3.4L owners that want to drive their cars off a cliff. But as said the turbo is going to be able to grow allot more than a whipple setup. Can make more power on pump gas than a whipple ect. Whipple cars are more fun to drive around town and turbo cars are more fun letting them loose. Its depends on the type of feeling you want. Also you can do a whipple cheaper than a turbo so that could be a factor for you as well. You can make 750-800 wheel with a crusher 3.4 but you are going to need c16 to do it. you can make 750 wheel on a 76m turbo with pump 93 and a good meth kit..

91Man

Established Member
I HAVE a fox body with a auto and turbo absolutly love it. I HAD a 2002 GT with a turbo and a 5spd was ok. I HAVE a 03 cobra with a turbo and a auto absolutly love it. Ive drive 3 of my friends cobras 1 was eaton 1 was kennebell 1 was whipple all were 6 spd and loved them. Ive never driven a auto positive disp blower car though. If $ is a concern i would get the blower and be happy with 650-700hp pump gas daily driver. I love my friends 6spd blower cobras there just ALWAYS there! But when i brake boost my auto turbo cars they are ready to rock n roll on 3rd beep! And nobody is driving around me with a kennebell or a whipple. Definetly more parts involved in a turbo car. If i could sell my Mach 1 and get a 2nd cobra id get one with a blower just for the 6spd fun factor.

91Man

Established Member
Point i was getting at as far as IM concerned "my opinion". Is that if ur going turbo go auto. If you are staying stick get the blower. Cost is lower to go blower as far as needing a tubular front end and much less involved with install. Im not starting a flame war here but cannt argue much with a auto turbo car. Get the 3.4 pump gas tune it and have a blast!!! Good luck

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
which one

i have a 3.4 whipple and love it, when i started this build i added up everything it would cost to go turbo, i mean everything to support 800hp, i have 9,000 in my setup now and at 22-23 lbs. of boost made 730rwhp on c-13, made 687 at 19-20 lbs. of boost on pump gas, just the turbo kit i wanted was 7,400 hellions twin 57 kit, i know and agree turbos are the most efficient power adder period, its all about money and goals, with what you said i would go twin screw for sure, just remember 750 hp is not easy to make, it will be less stress on your motor ,and you wont need to run as much boost with a turbo but you will spend more money for those things, take a look at your budget and put everything on paper for both setups, and i mean everything down to antifreez or belts, it all adds up i promise, then make your decision

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
Well my custom 76mm turbo kit just did whats in my sig and I have not seen a twin screw get close on 93 pump gas. So if anyone tries to tell me a twin screw has more Tq I am just going to shake my head and walk away. :nonono: LOL

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
^ more peak torque, no. a broader, more user friendly, daily driver fun torque band, yup.

nonetheless your car freakin rips man :beer:

Last edited:

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
^ more peak torque, no. a broader, more user friendly, daily driver fun torque band, yup.

nonetheless your car freakin rips man :beer:

Thanks! But where did you get your info? I had a Kenne Bell and now the turbo kit so I have the proof.

I guess it depends on what you want out of the car. I was sick of roasting tire at 3k and pedeling only to not have any topend.

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Thanks! But where did you get your info? I had a Kenne Bell and now the turbo kit so I have the proof.

I guess it depends on what you want out of the car. I was sick of roasting tire at 3k and pedeling only to not have any topend.
I've had both setups too man, you're not the only one...I'll agree though, spinning right off the bat was frustrating sometimes. Honestly though at 650rwtq on a KB I'd have great traction down to like 60° ambient...below that would be like an ice rink sometimes lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread