single people, whats your groccery bill a month?

v8venomgt

Established Member
for the most part, i prepare all of my own meals over the course of the week since ive been trying to save money since november. if something social comes up, that changes things, but im pretty sure that my *out to eat/entertainment* expenditures is less than $80 a month these days. that said, my revolving expense of grocceries is about $400 a month not including the occasional out to eat. is this a high figure?

i know the cost of grocerries is different from region to region, but im not sure if im about average, or high. i buy a lot of vegetables, enough meat to get through a week, and maybe 1-2 frozen entrees. im not really buying lunch meat, i dont drink soda, and rarely buy beer/alcohol. that said, im not about to start a diet of pb&j with ramen lol. i figure about $100 a week on grocceries isnt terrible, but i dont really have anything to compare it to either:shrug:

Chosyn1

I'm your Huckleberry
Established Member
Not single but me and the wife go through $400-$500 per month if you include eating out, no ramen or pbj here..:shrug:

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I'm single but I have two kids that live with me so most of my bill go towards them (snacks, meals & juices). I probably do around 300-400 a month. If it was just me it would probably be no more than 200$. I could live off canned food and noodles/rice.

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
About $400 a month, married here. I would say you're overspending. $50 a week should be enough for you I would think.

chris1badL

Established Member
I'm not single but she doesn't live with me, I spend around $50-60 a week but I have 75 pound dog that eats a bunch. Lol. Dog food is expensive and he loves the $5 dingo bones.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
Damn when I was single I was spending about $125-150 on groceries. I'd buy chicken strips, chicken patties, stuff for hot dogs, burgers, spaghetti, all kinds of stuff I could prepare myself but would last a while.

Now that I'm married we spend about $400.

Stanger00

Established Member
When I lived alone the max would be 60-70 if I ha to replenish body wash, hair products, tooth paste or cleaning supplies. Typical weekly expense is 50ish.

I live with my GF and her teenage son. We just spent 175 for 10 days of dinner plans and lunch for 5 days plus snacks for me and the kid. We also had $96 worth of coupons. Obviously, I didn't plan the shopping. No steaks were purchased.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Damn when I was single I was spending about $125-150 on groceries. I'd buy chicken strips, chicken patties, stuff for hot dogs, burgers, spaghetti, all kinds of stuff I could prepare myself but would last a while.

Now that I'm married we spend about $400.

That processed shit is terrible for you. Hopefully the wife has you eating better.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
That processed shit is terrible for you. Hopefully the wife has you eating better.

tumblr_md7ip9vx3Z1rfy2fao1_500-1_zps14ea8bc8.jpg

61mmstang94

Established Member
Wtf.....

I spend $800 per month on groceries for two people.

But I don't eat out for any meals except if I go out on a Saturday and I'm forced to buy organic items and no cheap processed foods by the girlfriend.

For those of you spending $50 per week you must be eating out too which would definitely make that $50 go up if you really looked at your true TOTAL monthly food/drink expenditures. I spend zero dollars on food except at the grocery store and that includes paper towels, toilet paper, paper plates, etc as well.

I feel good about eating quality food but damn now I realize how expensive it is. I wish I could get away with just $200 per month....but that's what I spend a week. :(

Last edited:

AZSnake98

NVWSSV
Established Member
I pretty much eat chicken breast, vegetables, apples, unsalted nuts, a lot of eggs, oatmeal, and whole wheat bread. And I drink water or skim milk.

My groceries are like 150 a month tops including dog food. Lol.

If you count vitamins and supplements, a little more, but not much.

ctubbs

Established Member
I'm single, and I can eat out cheaper than cooking at home. Most of the food I buy at the store goes bad before I can eat it all. To me that's just wasting money. Plus eating out means less dishes to do.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I spend like $600 on food. I'm single and I eat really healthy. Healthy food drains your wallet

ViciousJay

Established Member
I pretty much eat chicken breast, vegetables, apples, unsalted nuts, a lot of eggs, oatmeal, and whole wheat bread. And I drink water or skim milk.

My groceries are like 150 a month tops including dog food. Lol.

If you count vitamins and supplements, a little more, but not much.

I eat the same and spend 400-550 a month :dw:

Real2000CobraR

Powerstroke God
Established Member
Bout .80 cents I'm an extreme couponer. Lol jk $125 a month when I was single. Basically water, rice, chicken and spaghetti.

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
$200 a week. (5 people in household)

If I had to only buy food for myself it would probably be like $50 a week at most

Users who are viewing this thread